Does anybody watch Rachael Ray?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Apr 3, 2010.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I zip through different shows on the guide and DVR the ones I want to see. I saw one of her 30 Minute Meal shows and I want to recreate what she made. It was a simple penne pasta with a tomato and roasted garlic sauce. They were roasted cherry or grape tomatoes and she used a potato masher right in the bowl with a little pasta water to make the sauce. I can't make it sound appetizing... but she made it look good. Does anyone watch any of her shows? I know they come on two or three times a day. I've searched the web site and the internet using the ingredients and her name and this is what I've found but it isn't the same thing I saw her make on the show. It isn't even her recipe.

I've got the garlic, tomatoes and pasta. Now all I need is to know what I'm missing and what to do. I'd hate to have to wing it an ruin a perfectly good meal. ... But hey! (in my best high-falutin' Italian accent) I've got that hunk of parmigiano reggiano! ...I should be able to come up with something...

So does anybody watch her shows? Remember any details?

Maybe I should just get a bottle of good wine to go with it and that way I won't remember how bad it was. :rolleyes:

Seriously... any ideas?

I know it's Saturday and a holiday weekend so few people will be on... but if any one reads this and has any ideas at all, please post!

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

3. nsanemom22

THAT'S IT! THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU! :cheers:

4. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

5. nsanemom22

yeah... I forgot about the "Steaks with Gorgonzola and Herbs" part... knowing that may have made it easier... Can't remember exactly what I googled, but I didn't get what I wanted. Got it now though!!:lol:

6. shygrrl

shygrrl Well-Known Member

YU-UM!!! Let us know how it is!!!

7. mmchallen

mmchallen Member

I actually used to watch her a lot and ended up buying one of her cookbooks. Her recipes usually end up delicious and are fairly easy, but I don't make as many as I used to due to most of the recipes requiring A LOT of ingredients. Often they seem to require special ingredients that can make the meal somewhat costly.

8. nsanemom22

Yeah... I knew that in the back of my mind about it being fast but not so cheap. But it really hit home when I bought the cheese.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Paula Deen's recipes are more my style. :jester:

I'm about to go finish up Easter dinner. Turkey breast (crock pot since 9:00 am), real mashed potatos with plenty of butter, stuffing, deviled eggs, veggies, yeast rolls................good thing we don't eat like this every day.

10. nsanemom22

Yeah... I'd love to see something like... Paula Deen: Light & Easy! ...something along those lines. But I doubt it would taste as good.

11. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Getting ready to make dinner here at the house. Fried (non-battered) okra, pan fried squash and onions and boneless porkchops with a greak seasoning smothered on them.

12. nsanemom22

Made the pasta dish last night! Lowe's doesn't sell arugula...at least that's what the man stocking the produce told me. I bought a container of "organic herb salad" containing arugula but decided not to use it in the dish. ...Didn't want to bastardize it right out of the gate... The recipe called for two cups of that and a cup of basil. Two small packs of basil there was...2.39? and the leaves are tiny ... the basil available in the store and the basil available on their site is not the same. I probably used almost half the required amount. But the roasted tomatoes and garlic in it were great! I don't know if we'll make it again or not. Fast doesn't mean cheap. As the recipe is, (by what I could have spent on basil and parm-reg cheese) would have been probably $15-20? for the bowl. Pasta ain't supposed to be high dolla! ...maybe I need the po mans version.

Oh. The recipe says to roast the garlic and tomatoes together for 20 minutes. Don't do it. Roast the tomatoes for 20 but the garlic for about 15. A good bit of mine was burnt and not usable....or at least make sure all the cloves are the same size (which I didn't :x )

I had some for breakfast.

If I can find basil sold by the bunch or loose, or get my own herb garden going, we'll make it again. I didn't miss any arugula.

13. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

They were selling basil plants at the Clayton Farmers Market last Saturday, they'll probably have them again this week. You can grow them from seed, but it's much easier to start with plants. And don't be afraid to use it, the more you pinch off the ends of the branches the bushier they get.

14. nsanemom22

Well YAY! I know where I'll be Saturday! :hurray: ty!

15. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Oh and in response, YES I watch RR.

[​IMG]

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

and they come back every year. i planted one little plant last hear in a planter with about 4 other herbs (they do not come back) and this year, that container with absolutely no maintenance over the winter is full of baby basil plants, we actually froze quite a bit last year cause they really produce, that is why i do not understand why they would be so expensive in the grocery store, go figure:lol:

17. KDsGrandma

Really? I thought they were annuals. I wonder if they self-seeded?

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thats unusually lucky for you! Normally basil doesn't come back because it is an annual, parsley is a perennial and does come back for another year (maybe two).

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Different-Types-of-Herbs&id=3976949

Herbs are also categorized by their life span, as are other plants. Annuals must be grown every year. These include basil and cilantro.
    Perennial herbs will come back year after year. These include sage and winter savory. Note that if they are grown indoors, they should be repotted annually.
    Biennial herbs have a 2-year life span. The first year, they form leaves. During the second year, they flower and form seeds. These include parsley, angelica, or caraway.

19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i thought the same thing when i planted it and was amazed at all the babies coming up, even smelt the leaves to confirm it really was basil and it is, there are quite a few plants that are classified as annuals that come back in the South due to the warmth whereas they will not come back in the North is the only thing i can figure so they cannot be classified as perinneals.

20. KDsGrandma

Did you see flowers on the plants late in the season last year? They would be very small, not very noticeable, but they could have gone to seed to produce new plants this year. Plants that come back in the south are classified as tender perennials, not annuals. There are a lot of those that are treated as annuals in the north. Perennial or annual (as well as biennial) refers to the life cycle of the plant; resistance to cold is hardiness, and we are in hardiness zone 7/8 here. So if we plant perennials that are only hardy to zone 9, they won't usually survive our winter, but they are still perennials.