Flowers/shrubs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mom2~1boy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree:

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I have a large Tulip tree at the end of my driveway. It blooms in the early spring before it ever gets leaves, then it blooms a few more times, summer & fall. The only thing I don't like is that about the time I've got the flower beds cleaned up for spring and perty, the petals fall from the tulip tree and make a mess. (Our Tulip tree is very large...infact, I don't think I've ever seen another one this big)

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

If you want free plants please PM me. My neighbors and I give bunches away every year. We can probably fill up your vehicle and any questions you have on planting items can be addressed. Some of my neighbors are "Master Gardeners".

Sherry

4. seabee

seabee Guest

Do you have proof of that???? :allears:

5. seabee

seabee Guest

They do stink and also is a softer wood that likes to split..

6. Sherry A.

Love me some Broadwells. Car load of great plants for a great price. After 13 + years I have never had a problem.

Sherry

7. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

Loropetalum Daruma Dwarf, well this is the shrub that I have decided on, so now on to pricing. Swift Creek has them in 5gal containers for $16, so I am going to call around to a few more places to check for small containers and cheaper prices..

Thanks for all the suggestions.

8. Sherry A.

I went, several years ago, into the woods and dug up some wisteria. It can get out of hand but I trim it to be a bush.

When we bought our house you could literally walk into the back yard and wave to the neighbors on both sides. I found out that Wax Myrtles are common to the area so I planted those along both borders. I only trim the limbs that hand over the grass. They are as high as the house and were about 3 feet tall when I got them. Because they stay green year round we have complete privacy and our neighbors now chip in for any trimming and all. Decided a year or so ago that I needed some color so I planted honeysuckle and such throughout the trees on both sides and we have color as it gets warmer plus the smell is wonderful.

A neighbor built me an archway out of copper tubing, which is beautiful, and I have honeysuckle over it as well. Getting ready to start the vegetable garden soon.

We pass flowers, plants and seeds around all the time in our "hood". We have a Garden Club and many Master Gardeners. gcoats might have some suggestions and plants as well.

Sherry

9. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

Thanks, I dont really have any close neighbors except across the street. So I would really like a few butterfly bushes as well just for the color and they attract tons of butterflies.. We started our garden last week, dh took the tractor and disc so we are ready to start planting soon...

10. Sherry A.

Oh, have some off springs of some butterfly bushes that you are welcome to as well. Forgot about them. Sometimes a person just has to walk around the yard and they will see all types of things.

Sherry

11. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

thanks, that would be awesome. I use to work in a greenhouse when I was younger and can remember taking shoots of ferns and repotting them to grow new ones.. I love playing in flowers :jester:

12. MizSeeker

MizSeeker Well-Known Member

Wanted to bump this back up for this year. I'm trying to figure out if I can put lilies in front of the house at the top of the ditch or if they will clog the ditch area if I plant them lower.

My grandmother had a HUGE wisteria trained as a bush and I would crawl under it and hide as a child. I'd love to be able to do that ...

thank you!

Martha

13. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

just remember that lilies are going to multiply and spread! I think you will be fine as long as you keep them out of the bottom of your ditches!

14. sassymom

these have turned out great, tons of little pink flowers on them, now must buy more for my back yard, we are fixing that this weekend!

Sherry, if you still have some butterfly bushes with shoots I would love to come get some..

thanks

15. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I saw some Loropetalum at Lowes yesterday,they have different varieties.
    I got several of the regular,not the dwarf,one of them is about 9' tall.

16. sassymom

haha I did dwarf so I could put them in front of my house and the deck!

I thought about getting some bigger ones to place around the yard, but really think I want to do some butterfly bushes, I also planted 3 Crepe Myrtles some verbena and lantana, my lantana did not come back this year but my verbena did, so may plant some more of that on my hillside!

17. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Your lantana may still come back, it's a little early for that. Getting the dwarf loropetalum was a smart move. There was a full size one in front of my house, and I had to keep cutting it back so it didn't entirely cover a window. I ended up pulling it out and replacing it with something else.

18. sassymom

good to know, I will give it a bit longer to see what happens, if not I think I will just replace it will more verbena, maybe the red to contrast with the purple!

19. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Another good choice is salvia,I've got a few of the red flowering ones and also one called "Hot Lips" (reminds me of the tv show Mash). They come back every year and are already flowering,good one for hummingbirds!
    http://www.paghat.com/salviahotlips.html

20. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

U will be so glad that u decided on getting loropetalums. I was going to suggest them but then saw u didn't want anything too big and they can get gianormous! Good to hear there is a dwarf variety. The fushia colored flowers on these shrubs are so beautiful. I would give even a dwarf variety a lot of room because they are the kind of bush that likes to branch out and do its own thing without being pruned in to a manicured looking shrub.

Danger and I call our loropetalums our "Laura Petries" (sp) from the old **** Van Dyke Show. Ya know Laura and Rob Petrie. We are goofy people.

DB's wife
    Too funny! I don't post often. I didnt realize the proper name I typed was not an acceptable word for this site and would get automatically edited. geez.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010