Hummingbirds

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Apr 8, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen any this year yet?

2. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

not yet, it may take a few more days to find my feeder though just got it out last weekend! I usually have a few.

3. AnnetteL

I'm sure it will be soon.I just cleaned our feeder yesterday.
    One problem I have every year is that ants crawl up to the feeder and get in it,any way to avoid this?

4. sassymom

not that I found, I also have yellow jackets that get in them also, havent found a solution for that either lol

5. AnnetteL

Me too! I even sprayed insect repellent on the pole but that didn't get it either.

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Still too cold for humming birds. Will not be long though.

Sherry

7. sassymom

really? I thought I always put my feeder up in April

oh well thanks

8. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Me too. According to this map, they have been spotted in our area March 20 and 21.
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

9. sassymom

maybe they just found somewhere better, where a 6 yr old little boy will not harass them as they are eating lol

:jester:

10. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

You could tie a red ribbon on the feeder, to help them find it. Or even some red plastic flowers - they will be attracted to the color red.

11. Sherry A.

Well, I am surprised any have been seen because we have had such cold weather until just recently. Go figure.

Sherry

12. sassymom

Sherry check the flower/shrub thread, last year you told me you had some shoots off your butterfly bushes and I was wondering if you had any this year?

thanks

13. Sherry A.

I was just looking at that thread and yes we do have some. We also have some swamp sunflower that I would love to share.

PM me......we'll be home this weekend.

Sherry

14. Sherry A.

My dad sent the below to me and I thought I would share. Pretty cool, I think.

Sherry

This is something I have never even heard of or seen before. This woman lives in a Hummingbird fly zone. As they migrated, about 20 of them were in her yard. She took the little red dish, filled it with sugar water and this is the result.

The woman is Abagail Alfano of Pine, Louisiana - she had been studying them daily and one morning put the cup from the feeder (with water in it) into her hand. Since they had gotten used to her standing by the feeder they came over to her hand.

She says in touching they are as light as a feather. Abagail also said, 'if she had known her husband was taking pictures she would have put on makeup.'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. AnnetteL

First heard,then saw the first humming bird yesterday evening.