About the Pesto

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Apr 9, 2010.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Hugh? Tassy? Pesto... I got some in a vacuumed packed container on the deli side of Lowe's about a month ago. I opened it before the expiration date and it tasted pretty good. It was my first experience with pesto... The container said it would be good for two weeks after it was opened. I know it had been about two weeks (give or take) since I ate it last. It didn't taste all that great the second time around. Could it have gone bad? It was already green. How can you tell? lol.. I was wondering if maybe I was just really hungry the first time around...

Where do you get good pesto? Do you make your own? And how long does it last? :confused:

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

3. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

For store-bought I LOVE the HT Traders (Harris Teeter) brand. It's in a tiny little glass jar in a box usually near the canned mushrooms and such. It's expensive, though, so I generally stock up when there's an HT brand sale. I'm sure homemade is probably better, but this brand is great to have on-hand to add to recipes.

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I usually get the Classico brand, its in the spaghetti sauce section at Food lion. :-D

5. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Homemade is best of course, but it's not cheap. Tons of fresh basil, pine nuts, parmesan, olive oil. Maybe a little salt but not much cuz the cheese is salty. Think that's it. I have made it with walnuts too and it's good just not as much flavor. I just mix it in the blender until the consistency and flavor are right to me. You can freeze it, too.

Trader Joe's has a pretty good one for store bought.

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I always look for it in a jar, and it seems to be good for long time in the frig. My mom also makes her own, and its awesome!

7. nsanemom22

I'll give that Classico a try.

8. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

I guess by nature pesto is oily...but to me the Classico is oilier (if that's a word!) and a little less spicy than the HT Traders. I think it's up to individual taste, probably.

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

The only store-bought Pesto I like is the Trader Joe's.

10. bandmom

was in Food lion today and its BOGO! :hurray:

11. bandmom

Yeah - sometimes I pour off some the extra oil on top, or just mix it in, depends on what I'm using it on/with.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

If you turned green than it went bad!

I have never prepared a meal with Pesto, I get 90% of my meals from a restaurant. This evening it was Sushi with a large seaweed salad.

13. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

Duh! I never thought of pouring it off...or maybe soaking it up with a paper towel. Next time I have a coupon I'll try that. Thanks for the idea!

14. nsanemom22

coupon?! they are buy one/get one this week! :cheers:

15. Oy Vayayay

Oy Vayayay Well-Known Member

Homemade is best, especially if you use a good extra-virgin olive oil, fresh basil, and good parmesan (preferably reggiano). Pine nuts can be a little hard to find. Store it with a sheet of plastic wrap in contact with it in the fridge like you would pudding to keep it from getting a skin.

For something to die for, make a good, homemade minestrone soup and put a dollup of fresh pesto on top.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010