Clayton Community Center is open

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Mr.X, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

I stopped by the new Clayton Community Center(CCC) last nite. It is open for use, the grand opening is April 11. Let me say I was disappointed. For what this place cost and the delays it has very little to offer. It is mostly a large gym with basketball nets. It has a 1/16 walking track. It has a pottery room, painting room and 2 multipurpose rooms. No weights, or cardio equipment of any kind. They plan some classes in the future. I was told by the director that a weight room is 5-10 years down the line! They plan to stick some cardio stuff in the corners of the track but have no dedicated space for them. They have after school programs for kids. The hours are skimpy as well.

Based on this, I am not impressed.

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

What ever happened to the pool they announced they were going to build a few years ago?

3. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

The N&O had a short article (maybe it was the Garner/Clayton Record)and said that they have plans for a pool, but it won't be for 5-6 years. This is a start...I was spoiled living in Virginia Beach, where there was a rec center in nearly every area of the city...then again, our taxes were higher and there was a annual fee which went up over the years. I am happy Clayton has opened it...I'm sure we'll see an upswing in classes being offered there.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hold my breath, the insurance and liability for a public pool is nuts.

With the lack of options over there I may as well join a real gym

5. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

where is it?

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Pepps, it is at the intersection of Amelia Church Rd. & Shotwell Rd. Right where the new stoplight is.

7. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

Even if peeps are not that impressed, I am very proud of Clayton for all it has become. I grew up here and let me tell ya!!! The "little" town of Clayton has come a long way. Remember when it seemed to take FOREVER to get to Raleigh and there were nothing but trees along the way.

Can't wait to see how Clayton continues to evolve.

8. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Johnston Medical Ctr-Clayton build a wellness center like the Rex Wellness Centers. It would be nice to have one so close by complete with the pool.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

Clayton is a bustling metropolis. We have 2 super Wal-Marts and an Adam & Eve store, what else do we need??

10. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Chik-fil-a!!!!

11. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray:

12. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

I, too, was spoiled from living in VA Beach and having access to various rec centers. The years I was there the membership was something like $25 a year. Membership gave access to weight rooms and pool at any center in the city. For aerobics you could purchase a punch card and attend any class at any center on any day/time that worked for your schedule. It allowed great flexibility especially when I worked at different areas of the city on different days. I didn't appreciate that resource enough! I don't miss the traffic in Va Beach though :)

13. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

has anyone used the walking track? I am very disappointed to find no Sunday hours and only 2 hours on Sat mornings. I had really hoped for somewhere to walk indoors during the hot of summer.

14. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

Beginning in April, they will be open 10-2 on Saturdays. No plans yet for Sunday. I used the track last night and will go again tomorrow night.

15. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Open house tomorrow 2-4. Looks like some additional hours have been added to their schedule.

16. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I walked through the center yesterday. i guess they will hold exersize classes in the multi purpose room. the rooms i saw seemed pretty small for that! its going to be cramped!

The art room is beautiful. i dont know anything about pottery but the pottery room seemed pretty cool with several wheels.

I hope they offer some cool classes for kids this summer. and I hope the prices are reasonable.
    db's wife

17. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I'm debating about taking another pottery wheel class there,they start next Wednesday.

18. dangerboy

update...
    took two exersize classes this morning. the room size was fine. they had the rooms divided when i toured but opened the divider for one big room this morning.
    they have cool garage style glass doors. i doubt they will be able to open them for long with humidity and mosquito season just around the corner but its a nice feature.
    there were only 4 people in the classes. I hope that picks up cuz I dont want them to cancel them.

db's wife

They have a pretty cool special going on where for $25 you can try as many of their exersize classes that you like from April 12-April 30. That way you can decide what you like and dont like. I signed up and plan to drag by lazy a** up there as many mornings as I can.

19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ok i know i am being lazy but is there a link to the info about the special?

20. dangerboy

not that i could find. their number is 553-1550 and there is an info line 553-1552. got this off the town of claytons website.
    sorry lazybones, i cant make the call for you.:lol:

db's wife