JCS Cuts Voted On At Next Board Meeting

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Moe, Apr 5, 2010.

1. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

that would be students who technically live in joco but attend a public school elsewhere. for example, we live in wake county, but the boy goes to school in joco, so his per pupil allotment is shifted to joco to cover him. (that per pupil rate sent from the state/fed is higher in wake county than in joco, by the way, even before the individual counties add their funds). charter schools are open to students of the state regardless of county, so you might have a few people driving their kids to raleigh charter high, or maybe one in harnett county. i can also see situations where the nearest in-county school might be much farther away than one just across the line in some cases, where it's technically a joco address, but really the community itself lies in the next county over and that's the closest school...

for 200k, you're probably only talking about 40 kids out of the whole county if that many

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

That could also be for a student needing a unique setting like the school for the deaf or school for the blind.

3. Moe

Moe Active Member

Today is the day

The meeting is today at 2:00 PM at the Central Office on Hwy. 70. Hope things don't get cut that your children desire or need!

4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

http://johnston.mync.com/site/Johnston/news/story/50499/johnston-co.-board-of-education-slashes-113-teacher-positions/

5. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

700 kids = in the neighborhood of $4.5 to $5.0 million dollars

6. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

7. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if you talk to Larry Strickland on the school board, he says the ones who go as a result of these cuts will be the first ones to fill positions of retiring teachers in the future.

"School board chairman Larry Strickland said teachers whose jobs could get cut would be first in line to fill spots vacated by retiring teachers."

- NewsObserver.com

8. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

This could be read two ways, job cuts coming from those vacated by retiring teachers, thats OK they just won't be replaced

or the people being cut are the teachers that are going to be replacing the retiring teachers in the future, to me that wouldn't make sense

Do you have the link to the article as to see what context this was in?

9. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

Ummmmm -yeah click the link I posted. The words NewsObserver.com are linked.

10. shar824

Sorry my bad. It still seems funny though, the writer of the story didn't have that in quotes and to me it seems like it isn't worded right, sounds silly, like above in the article, Dr Croom said they avoided layoffs in 2009 due to retirees and people quiting.

JMO...I don't know...

11. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

There really wasn't much context to the quote.

I really don't agree with the apparent intent of the statement. I took it to mean that if you get laid-off you'll be the first called back to replace those lost by retirement.

This, in my opinion, discourages new, highly qualified teachers from applying to jobs and shows them an appearance of an 'old boys' club that protects their own, even if a teacher performs poorly.

But you are right - maybe it was poorly paraphrased and it just came across as the chairman not fully thinking before he spoke.

12. shar824

That makes sense too..guess we will have to see how all this plays out, stinks for those however that will be affected. I know my oldest is just starting Kindergarten in Johnston County in the fall and I don't like to hear of them cutting teachers....however if they exhausted all other options I don't see where they have a choice...if they don't have the money..they don't have the money :?

13. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

I'd say cut teacher assistants and give teachers better tactics and tools to promote parental participation in the classroom, but teacher assistants drive the buses, so we can't get rid of too many of them, can we?

14. crunchymom

crunchymom Well-Known Member

I'm a recent graduate, hoping to start teaching this fall. Though this seems discouraging, I will certainly still do all that I can to land a job. Plus, most school systems in financial crisis are more likely to hire teachers with less experience because they are paid smaller salaries.

15. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

True - and I think there's always a caveat to this kind of rhetoric that we've seen from the school board.

There are some REALLY good recent graduates out there who put the teachers of yesterday to shame. Good teachers get found. Or, so I hope.

16. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

There are some teachers who can'tr stand anything other than perfection.

17. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

They must have a hard time, since perfection is impossible in a classroom.

Besides, perfection sends the wrong message to the kids.

18. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

TA's are needed for K-2. And, because they also drive the buses (job requirement but the county does NOT reimburse them for the CDL licensure which costs them 125 bucks)

Better tactics and tools? Puhleeze. Parents who are committed to their child's success generally see that through. Parents who are 'involved" with their child's education, hit at it occasionally.

I'm not taking pot shots at parents who are working to provide for the kids. Those are the folks whose children I love to help shepherd while I am volunteering.

We should acknowledge that there are parents who are just too lazy or apathetic to be effective parents.

Yet, we don't hold the parents responsible for lack of parenting or not caring what their kids do. The evaluation criteria, parents are not held accountable, just the schools and the teachers.

I'd suggest we start with reducing the empires created at Central Office, outsource the services we can, and reduce the admin at the schools. Instead of 1 AP per grade, have 2 APs per school.

And, remove those teachers who are "phoning it in."

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

why are TA's needed - schools survived forever without them, the only TA's my kids ever saw were student teachers pulling their time for a while. And amazingly enough those teachers were able to teach 32 kids without computers, TAs or all the upgraded assistance teachers now have. Just curious why TAs are completely necessary in a classroom?

20. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

Yes, better tactics and tools. Like a family involvement plan for starters.

I can agree with the other places to cut. Heck, I'd let my kid take 1st grade through distance education if they offered it.