traffic counting @ Cornwailis/Shiloh

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmom, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

I noticed yesterday they had two people doing a traffic count @ the 4-way stop @ Cornwailis and Shiloh. Wondering if they're considering putting traffic lights there.

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

That's often the way it goes. They set up a 4 way stop to get people used to it and then they end up putting in lights. It seems like a waste to me, though. They should just go ahead and put the lights outs there and be done with it.

3. Roadman

Roadman Member

They were NCDOT staff doing the counting - though after going through the intersection 3 times yesterday, I can tell you they weren't doing it correctly. Most likely they are doing the counts in order to conduct a signal warrant analysis. They would only be looking to put up a signal there if they have received a number of complaints about the intersection. They have no money to put up a signal - especially since there isn't a high accident rate at the intersection. A new signal with wood poles will cost them $70,000 and they will have to acquire easements from the 4 property owners at the intersection.

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Actually I think the 4 way Stop sign is working great. Everyone is considerate of the next and traffic moves smoothly I think.

5. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Are you being sarcastic :lol: because every day, at least once, I see someone go when it is not their turn and almost or actually do cause an accident. I just love the people who run right through the intersection without stopping, tailgating the person in front of them and acting like they are just an extension of the car whose turn it is to go.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

The problem with a 4-way stop is that not everyone knows the rules/regulations on how to handle the different situations that can arise at them.

Example:

3 cars pull into a 4-way stop intersection all heading in a different direction, and each wanting to continue straight through the intersection. Who has the right of way and which car(s) should proceed?

[​IMG]

7. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

Irrelevant! Accelerate and get there first.

Amirite?

8. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

That depends on which driver knows the rules. If the person with the right-of-way just sits there looking lost and confused ...just gun it. But make sure you don't get hit or you'll get the ticket. 8)

9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

No I wasn't sarcastic, I guess I am glad to be in the intersection everytime people know what they are doing. Must be something BIG going on with that intersection because the corner house just listed a FOR SALE sign. When that happens you know there are big plans.

10. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Answer: Car C. If you take the adage of 'the right of way' The car to your right would have the right to go through and since 'car c' is the the furthest to the right. There is no 'car d'. But if there was a 'car d' I would have to say FREE FOR ALL who ever gets through first :)