Johnston County Register of Deeds- Craig Olive

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Concerned Person, Apr 15, 2010.

1. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

This thread is about Craig Olive for Registrar of Deeds, who just happens to have been convicted of DWI. The link is about a completely different person, completely different circumstances, completely different outcome. If someone would like to post the particulars of Mr. Olive's arrest and court case, that might be pertinent, but a completely obscure case, with the only common thread being a DWI, sorry , has no relevance here.

You might as well post a link to Ted Kennedy's Chappaquiddik(sp) incident, it has just as much to do with Mr. Olive's candidacy as the link posted.

2. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

You're right that the linked thread doesn't have much to do with Mr Olive or his candidacy. It does have to do with the hypocrisy of some posting that he's served his time, and it should all be forgotten.

As far as circumstances and outcome being different, I disagree that killing someone vs not killing someone are significant differences for someones character. They both did the same thing, the only difference is that he got lucky. Mr. Olive didn't avoid killing anyone because he's a good person... he didn't kill anyone because no one crossed his path before the blue lights showed up.

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

If it doesn't have much (or anything) to do with Mr. Olive, why post it here? I don't think there was any hypocrisy in my post, as I said "He pled guilty, took his lumps" as in he fessed up and took responsibility for his own actions, a completely foreign concept to a lot of folks these days. No where did I say all should be forgotten. As a matter of fact, I said if you were to post Mr. Olive case disposition, it definitely WOULD have some relevance.
    You could argue that the other person was unlucky, as opposed to Mr. Olive's being lucky in not having killed someone. Your arguement would suggest that there are many, many lucky individuals out there, who are guilty of having driven after drinking and not killed anyone, but I would suggest that most drunk drivers are lucky in never being caught, much less prosecuted. The fact that no one pulls out in front of them has a lot to do with luck, period, whether they are drunk or not.

My point, again, is that your link has NOTHING to do with Craig Olive's candidacy, which is what this post is about. The link posted, if I read it and the responses correctly, had more to do with the injustice in such a light sentence for a crime in which a life is taken. If Mr. Olive had killed a man when he drove drunk, I would say that the post was on spot, but such is not the case. I'm certainly not defending what he did, I just tend to think someone wants to compare apples to avocados.

4. BS!!!

5. POS.. I guarentee you nor anyone else here has a right to judge this man as you do. Profiling at its best. Maybe it shows your judgmental side.. Good way to live your life perfect one.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You are clueless, it has nothing to do with Craig Olive or for that matter dgsatman.

7. to your logic I'm clueless

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

No ____ Sherlock

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is judging him but rather making a decision not to vote for him based on his actions, which they feel reflects his integrity. Thank goodness we have that right.

Yeah, you feel he might do a good job during the day - but these folks don't believe it excuses him from boozing and cruising at night.

10. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Yea, when I look for moral authority and guidance in life, I always look toward my county Register of Deeds.

He made a mistake over what 5 years ago? He admitted, didn't even contest the charge like most would have done, and has done an outstanding job for taxpayers ever since.

Wonder how many people have been speeding and just got lucky that the blue lights caught them before they caused a vehicular homicide?

11. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

LOL!!!!:mrgreen: You might have some SS in you after all!

12. Really, so you condone weasellock's lumping him with someone else that has nothing to do with Craig. Why did he feel the need to throw that other thread on here and was it right to do that?

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Do you hear that? It's the sound of Nev's post and point going over your head....

14. yeah a judgmental point, I will let it blow over my head.

15. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

it had to do with one of the posters in this thread, and their seemingly contradictory reactions to two seemingly similar situations. one of those situations just happened to be this one, but it had nothing to do with you that i could see.

16. Thanks, but I still say it was outta line to associate the 2 in this thread to make a point about one poster at the expense of Craig.

17. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

it wasn't at the expense of craig. i think that's the part that's going over your head.

18. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

Working in a law firm, I have to deal with the Register of Deeds' office in Wake & Johnston Counties and would rather deal with JoCo than Wake any day! Makes my job easier with the way Craig has brought this office up to date and stays on top of technology - people are friendlier and Craig is always ready to assist you -- can't say that for Lauren in Wake County. People in Wake don't want to help -- guess it's a JoCo "thang"! I'm with Dgsatman - voting for Craig!

19. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Vote People!!!