facebook account disabled

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Apr 16, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Has that ever happened to you?
    I got 3 strange messages from there the other day,something about me having been mugged in London and needing some money wired :lol:
    the messages all came from one of my 'friends'.

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

That's malware, it probably didn't come from your friend, their account was likely hacked. Contact facebook security.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Listen to KDs because I got a bad virus from clicking on a link.

Sherry

4. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

I had that happen too.

A friend of mine popped up on chat and we chatted for a bit, then she said she was in London (not unusual) but that she had been mugged. Same scenario. Wanted money. I asked why she didn't ask her brother (she has no brother) and after "her" reply, I knew it wasn't really her. I unfriended her, and let her know her account was hacked.

5. KDsGrandma

Same thing happened with my niece. I got a message first, and I knew it wasn't her, so I didn't do anything, then she popped up on chat, asked me if I got her message. I chatted for a minute or two, trying to figure out if it was really her, then I called her. So this other person was still begging me for money in her name while I was on the phone with her! I reported it to facebook security, and got an e-mail back from them asking her to contact them by e-mail. They disabled her account, and then a couple of days later, set her up a new one with a different password, of course.

Another friend of mine gave her password to somebody pretending to be from facebook, and ended up in a big hassle over that. I don't know why people give their passwords to anybody online. No legitimate website will ever ask you for your password in an e-mail.

6. As others have suggested, your friend's account has been hacked. The "stuck in London" gig has been going around for a couple years. You would think they would change up their act.

7. AnnetteL

Thanks for all the help!!
    I contacted facebook and they emailed back that they are investigating it...

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'm sort of new to the Facebook thing so I'm still learning the ropes. I got a curious Friend contact from someone claiming to be in London. Didn't recognize the name nor do I know anyone who would be in London, so I clicked Ignore. Several days have past and no more contacts from it.

9. KDsGrandma

Yes, that's the same scam that's been going around for a while. It may look like it came from one of your friends, but more likely that friend's account has been hijacked.

Another common scam is the one that appears to come from one of your friends and asks you to click on a link to a video. The comment may indicate that you are in the video. Do not click on that link! That's the malware others on this thread have been talking about.

Two more bits of advice:
    1. Do not ever give anyone your password, even if the request appears to be legitimate.

2. Become a fan of Facebook Security. They will give you warnings in your feed about stuff like this. They also have good info on their page.

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Actually, the message was from a complete stranger...but that stranger was from London. It didn't appear to come from an actual Facebook friend.

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Wow!............ Looks like me staying away from FB is a good thing...

12. KDsGrandma

Nah, you just have to use a little common sense.

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I can see the value of it, but I'm amazed at how many members freely make a lot of information available about them. I'm reserved about what I share.

14. AnnetteL

I wonder just how long it takes before you can log back in again?

15. KDsGrandma

My niece was back on in about 2 days, if I recall correctly.

16. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I would really check very hard on your personal machine. You could have a keylogger on your machine and not know it. They can also setup a gateway on your machine trap packets as they leave your machine. Invest in a good AV program. Check your machines.

17. AnnetteL

This is taking way too long,I still haven't heard anything from facebook,I tried to find a phone # for them but couldn't,does anyone have a # for them,I mean one where you get to talk to a real person?
    Thanks!

18. AnnetteL