volanic ash

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Apr 19, 2010.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

volcanic ash

So, who would've EVER thought that something like this could happen? It's nuts! Glad I'm not stranded overseas. This morning they said its moving toward our northeast coast (canada area). :shock:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04/19/uk-deploys-royal-navy-warships/

oh well - I tried to correct the spelling in the thread title, but it won't let me!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

It is horrible! Global warming?

Sherry

3. Karmol

Karmol Well-Known Member

My sister and BIL are stranded. They were in Greece, but since their vacation has been extended, they made it to Rome for some more sight-seeing. They are trying hard to enjoy it even though they are eager to get home to their kids. They are just lucky they have to funds to hand the extension. I know many people are starting to run out of money.

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I doubt it unless you could make an argument that the glacier that covered the volcano melted due to global warming and somehow allowed pressure to escape.

More likely, the amount of ash spewed into the atmosphere will cool the climate down a tad just like like after Mt. St. Helens although I have no idea how to compare the scales of these two events.

5. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

There are a mess of people stranded. They are telling folks over there possibly May 5th when they get out. A lady today said they don't know why American tv is telling people some airports are open. She said, they are not. They have to go to the airport every morning at 4am to try to book a new flight and "wait and see" what happens. I know of some families stuck over there w/ their new children.(I'm an adoption advocate) I can not imagine! Hope the skies clear soon for everyone.

Stephanie--mom to 7

6. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Neither this volcano nor any of the recent earthquakes has anything to do with global climate change. But the ash from the volcano might actually slow down the rate of warming.

7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

The tv channel from Germany reported earlier today that flights will be allowed again starting as early as Tuesday and wral did as well
    http://www.wral.com/business/story/7444724/

My sister in Germany told me this morning that it has been eerily quiet since this happened.

8. Sherry A.

Very sad about the people needing to get places. Some don't have the money for a hotel and are sleeping at the airport. Hate to hear about anyone stuck somewhere with an adopted child. I know I wanted out of that country as soon as possible.

Sherry

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Europe has an extensive passenger rail network. I do not think it can much to ease this kind of congestion, but I am sure it helps somewhat. It is an alternative anyway.

(And, yes, I know a railroad will not do anything for someone from overseas).

10. Sherry A.

Looks like another one may be happening in Iceland. They are looking into Global Warming on the last one.

Sherry

11. Sherry A.

Very funny. They actually got very still and viewers could hear the explosions but nothing coming out yet. Feel sorry for those living in Iceland. Visited that country when I was young and it is beautiful.

Sherry

12. Sherry A.

Really? How far away were you? I've always wondered about the heat for those living around those areas. It would scare me.

Sherry

P.S. That ash in Iceland is like cement. Feel sorry for the people, animals and the Earth.