Early Voting

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KDsGrandma, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Is that what they mean when they say that you don't even need to be registered?

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Would like to state that most of the teens I know registered as Democrat (because they are excited about this administration) or Independent. I happen to live in a very Conservative hood so this is a new trend. Heck, gcoats3 is a good neighbor.....tell ya' anything. :mrgreen::mrgreen: I think the world of his wife and him.

Sherry

4. KDsGrandma

Here's a little known fact about NC voting law: Teens can register and vote before they turn 18, if they will be 18 by the date of the next general election. So kids that are now 17 and have a birthday coming up between now and Nov. 2 can register and vote at their one-stop early voting site. That would be any of the 3 early voting locations, no matter what part of the county they live in. Instructions are at the link I posted above.

5. Sherry A.

Thanks, KDs. Had not a clue on that one or forgotten. Will pass this along to those we know.

Sherry

6. KDsGrandma

Keep in mind if they're not already registered, then the only way they will be able to vote in the primary is one-stop. Do not let them fill out a form and send it it now.

7. Sherry A.

Will do.

Sherry

8. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

We had several teens who filled out forms to register and signed up to volunteer at upcoming events.

We had folks who had to change their address on their voter registration.

We had folks who changed Party affiliation.

We had folks who took home voter registration forms to hand out to neighbors and friends.

The Ladies at the table answered lots of questions posed to them from the public.

It was a great crowd last night.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  9. jumpin4joync

Yes, they are able to go to One Stop Voting and register to vote. Even with all the extra perks that Early Voting offers, folks are still not coming out.

Historically, Primaries are low turnouts and the Early Voting is not the draw some believe it should be, at least not in a Primary. The General Election would be different.

Just think the candidate for the Democratic ballot in November in the US Senate race might be elected with on 4 or 5% of the Democratic voting population.

I know the Republican 2nd Congressional District race is definitely a flip of the coin at this point.

10. KDsGrandma

Apparently all those folks you registered at your recent event are not interested in voting in the primary, since the registration deadline for that was April 9.

11. Sherry A.

Good catch. Uh, oh...should we call for an audit? :jester:

Sherry

12. KDsGrandma

LOL! At least now we have a state auditor who knows the law!

13. jumpin4joync

(laughin')...well you would have to discuss that with them individually. i am not in a position to speak on behalf of anyone and the decisions which they make, but whether newly registered or old pros - turnout is very low to this point.

perhaps our State Board of Elections needs to re-visit the monetary investment into Early Voting during such trying financial times for our state government. imagine the financial investment in Early Voting just for the Johnston County area in comparison to the voter turnout.

it will be interesting to see just what the dollar investment was by our NC Government for each vote cast in the Early Voting Primary. of course some might argue that our state is just fine financially and there should not be any reason to consider the dollar amount SPENT for Early Voting.

14. jumpin4joync

(laughin')......

The images you just brought back to me from the General Election of 2008.

(laughin')......

Oh The Stories A Republican Could Tell About What Was Witnessed Personally!

(laughin')......

(laughin')......

15. KDsGrandma

Did you, or whoever was handing out the forms, happen to mention to all those many people that they were too late to register in the conventional way and still vote in the primary, but they still had an opportunity to register and vote at a one-stop site? It seems a little inconsistent to bemoan the low turnout and not try to increase turnout when you had the opportunity.

16. Sherry A.

Did you mean "Why"?

Sherry

17. KDsGrandma

Umm, she was talking about a Republican event, and bragging about all the new Republicans she has registered.

18. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

If you havent noticed, she lives in a fantasy world. One BS story after another.

19. KDsGrandma

I know, I don't know why I always rise to the bait. :evil::jester: