Town to cancel this year's July Fourth celebration

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kdog, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Town to cancel this year's July Fourth celebration

The Town Council on Monday night gave Town Manager Steve Biggs the go-ahead to cancel this year’s Independence Day celebration in Clayton due to what’s shaping up to be an extremely austere fiscal year starting July 1.

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Really what the area towns should do is pool their money and have one big festivity instead of outright cancelling it. Perhaps they should sell naming rights to the July 4th celebration to get more private funding.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Really? Have a link? Cuz we love us some fireworks in Clayton and surrounding areas. How much could it cost as opposed to other items on the budget?

Sherry

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Bummer!!! A friend owns a home adjacent to the fireworks field. The 4th party is a ritual for us there.

Good idea!!

5. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Per the Clayton New Star article it costs the town $52,000 to put on that event.

6. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

Oh, that makes me so sad, we love the fireworks every year.

7. Sherry A.

Thanks. I'll have to read the paper when it arrives today to see what all it says.

Sherry

8. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Facebook page

Deleting post after reading the Clayton News-Star. I believe the Town Council made the right decision for 2010.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  9. Sherry A.

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

52k? that's enough to keep one more cop on the street for a year...maybe 2, i don't know but i'm sure they're underpaid.

do you pay clayton town taxes sherry? i don't. maybe they should charge us admission if we want to watch...

11. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Problem is you can see the fireworks for miles away. People would not go to the other events and just watch the fireworks from a distance.

12. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

i sit on my porch and watch them. i still go to the other stuff but i see themfrom the privacy of my yard.

13. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I haven't been the the Clayton display in years. I prefer the Garner show or even Archers Lodge.

As for combining the community fireworks, I would be concerned about where everyone would park and how they would handle such a crowd.

On the other hand, this is all for perception- 52K is not huge dollars to a town the size of Clayton. It is our country's birthday and one of the biggest community events of the year. Why not cancel something we can do without, such as that stench that fills the air where 42 and 70 meet near SECU. It's been there for years, I wouldn't miss it.

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Somebody from the Clayton Town Council should visit Lillington in Harnett County for July Fourth. For a small town, they put on nice celebration. Its free admission, but they have inflatables, rides, games, plenty of eats, concerts, and a few other things. The year I went, the Band of Oz performed and Keith King (stunt BMX bicycles) was there as well. Plus, they had a surprisingly nice firework show. I'd say that it was bigger than Clayton's in recent years. Lots of people spending money. We went down there a couple years ago and had a fun time. Of course, Raleigh is more convenient, but its kind of nice to have it in a small town. Does Smithfield have any kind of 4th of July festivities other than the fireworks?

15. Sherry A.

I completely agree with you. I, like gcoats3, read the paper today and now understand the logic behind the 32K that Biggs is talking about. Think they are making the right decision. I do pay Clayton taxes but watch the fireworks from a hill where we can see Archer's Lodge and other areas as well. Admission fee would not bring in much as many people do this.

Sad but reality bites sometimes.

Sherry