Scammed by Summit Productions

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bissielizzie, Apr 21, 2010.

1. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

For the third year we have been approached by what we are led to believe is an EMS volunteer asking for donations for the Clayton EMS and are assured that they service our neighborhood.
    Turns out Clayton does not. If you want to know who does call 919-989-5050
    We called Clayton EMS and we have been invited to he station to get a refund. Which we will do and send our donation to the EMS that does service our area.
    Just thought you all should know your donations may not be helping your family when needed.

2. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

All EMS are good enough for a donation in my book. It doesn't bother me where they are servicing. They're helping save lives. Period. How much was the donation you are taking back? I'll make a donation to that EMS station in that amount myself to make up for it.

3. we got us DOLLAR girl now.

4. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

Good for you. I can't believe someone is asking for their donation back. Hope they never need Clayton EMS.

5. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I think the OP has a valid point.

If the charity in question was misrepresented they should refund on request as a matter of principle. I would expect said charity to look into this situation as suspicion is toxic to fundraising.

I donate to EMS also, and I would like to know for sure where (...and for what) my donation is being used.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It was probably an honest mistake. Geez louise, does it really matter which of the local EMS's got the money? Perhaps they will help your neighbor in the next subdivision with your "donation." Takes some brass ones to call and ask for it back, I'll give you that.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Clayton VFD came around collecting here a few months back, I am WAAAAAY out of their jurisdiction. As a matter of fact, they probably passed my fire station on the way here. What bothers me is, what happens when my FD comes around after the fact looking for donations? Clayton has already canvassed the area, so people are like "what? I already gave".

8. Not to mention they put those orange stickers on your mailbox so that no one else will stop by. I just had the same thing happen to me - last year I donated and was a little frustrated to find that after I had asked and questioned the guy about Clayton serving our area he kept telling me yes they did - come to find out 50/210 is our EMS. I didn't ask for my donation back but I was a little peeved they would send someone again. I understand they need money, but now when 50/210 does their fundraising they won't get as much as they would had Clayton not overstepped their jurisdiction.

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

That's funny, I *was* going to mention the ****ty orange stickers. I always say "no" when they ask if they can put them on my box. Those stickers don't come off without leaving paper and residue, and I just bought that darn mailbox a few months ago.

10. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

just remember all EMS and FD's are mutual aids to other departments! So just because they are not your first line of call the may be your second when the 1st can not get to you!!

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

EMS wants a $40.00 donation. I'm selling orange stickers for only $10 therefore saving everyone $30.00 while keeping further attempts of solicitation away. Please allow 3-5 days for delivery.

13. sassymom

:jester::twisted:

14. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

Never entered my mind to ask what area they serve!! I just write them a check because they service some area!!!!!!!!!!!! I have fallen many time and they come and put me back in my wheelchair. I wish I could do more to help them all. REGARDLESS OF THE AREA THEY SERVE. Can't believe the nerve of some people. JMHO Pat

15. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

On a serious note, there has to be a better way to get donations. Doesn't it seem like they would make more money if they didn't have to pay a third party to solicit?

16. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

HA!!!!!!

Now I know what that orange sticker is for!!!!!! I always wondered that!!!!

17. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Ditto..I have often wondered what the fundraiser's cut is. Are the guys that go door-to-door real unpaid EMS volunteers or do they work on commission? It's a shame this essential service isn't fully funded by our taxes. I wonder if we pay the tab for Baghdad's FD?

18. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

Wow! Have you been given a lot of grief for this.
    I think that you are entirely correct and I would have done the same as you. You have been lied to, you gave money (based on false pretences), and asked for it back. You go on to say that you are still donating the money to your local EMS, and people still find something negative to say.

How would people on the board feel if they were solicited by an EMS service in Wilmington, Asheville, or Chapel Hill that claimed to serve their area?

19. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

Confused that they would travel so far to get my money. And a little curious. I mean, would i have to not travel to Wilmington, Asheville, or Chapel Hill to avoid collecting on the picture we've never redeemed anyway, but they insist on selling?

20. sassymom

really come on, Clayton going out to the cleveland area is not that big of a deal, they go out that way all the time, the only other station is 50-210 so you have a 50/50 chance of getting clayton when you call if the other is out on another call!!

There is a difference in a local EMS station and one that is not!