Century Link?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DMJmom, Apr 22, 2010.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

We're trying to get some of our bills cut down, and hubby has heard of Century Link. It looks like you can bundle TV, phone and internet for under $80/month. Anyone use this company or know anything about it? I think it used to be Embarq? I've been on their website, but having trouble getting quotes or any good info.

2. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Yes, it was Embarq; we already had phone service and added internet a few months ago. Our basic phone service is $30.45 and the high-speed internet is $24.95 plus all those taxes & fees, our total bill this month is $68.79. We didn't really save any money, but, we were paying the same amount for dial-up AOL so now we just have better internet service for the same price. You may get a better deal if you are adding cable. Don't really know why we didn't.

There seemed to be a lot of fees to get started. Pretty sure we had to pay for the modem and for it to be shipped. Haven't had any huge problems. At first, the modem wouldn't fully function but I called and they told me how to reset it. One day the service was out for a while but they fixed the problem fairly quick.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  3. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

I have Embarq as well. They had a great deal the last time I called them to bundle with Dish, but I am in a contract with Direct TV. I have them for local phone and internet for around $50 per month.

4. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Do u 2 have long distance, or is it just basic phone?

5. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

I do not have long distance, we use the cell phones for long distance.

6. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Yep, same here. I only use long distance from home once a week to fax an invoice and that only costs about 20 cents. We use our cell phones for everything else; in fact I still have the same phone number I had in my home state so it doesn't cost my family to call me.

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Monthly service fees plus the 20 cents, right? We dropped the landline because they wouldn't budge on our fax line. Got a toll free fax line that allows us to send/receive anywhere with a computer connection. I can fax from Starbucks.

As I recall, the local service charge from Embarq was 13 bucks or so a month. 156 a year was too expensive. Toll free fax line for a year was about 40 bucks.

8. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I don't have a separate fax line; if I need to fax something I just plug the phone line into the fax machine. The charge ($.20) shows up on our phone bill like a long distance call.

9. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Can't remember what they call it, but I've got a second line That rings 2 short rings when called. Some people use them as a kids line, some as fax lines. Think mine runs about $5-$6 a month.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We have no LAN line anymore at the house. Interested in what you are saying about the computer connection. I've been having people email me items, once I finish the items I've been scanning and emailing back. On some it would be easier to fax.

Sherry

11. Really who cares.

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I do and Hat will explain it to me kid. You still don't understand that some of us are friends in real life, middle schooler. If you want to screw with someone you need to talk to your folks because you're like a gnat. Maybe they will pay for psychiatry sessions. Teacher too busy to see you're on the net again?

I'm going to swat you pretty soon.

Sherry

13. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Sherry,
    We use trustfax. you can reach them at trustfax.com
    h6