New To The Area

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by TheNewDude, Apr 23, 2010.

1. TheNewDude

TheNewDude Guest

Just moved to the area from "The Big City" of Raleigh. I have a couple of questions. First off Im looking to get my son involved with some type of sport. Are there currently any sports that have open registration for a 5yr old?? Also looking to get everybody's advice about "Must See" places to visit or events to attend. Thanks in Advance for you Feedback!!! :allears: :allears: :allears:

2. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

I think most summer sports have closed up registrations by now!

Event this weekend is the Strawberry Festival

In June their is www.aj5k.com great for family/kids

you can also look at the Calendar here to see what else is going on in the hood!

3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

cleveland pop warner football will take em at 5.5 for flag or tackle, signup is probly may or june.

i think it's www.clevelandwildcats.com

edit: yep, it is. this also brings up the strawberry festival, which i guess is a local "must see" at least once...

Fall 2010 Registration Dates for Cleveland Pop Warner Football and Cheer

Saturday April 24th Booth @ The Strawberry Festival
    Saturday May 1st 9am to Noon
    Saturday June 12th 9am to Noon

ps north raleigh born and bred, moved down here 11 years ago. as much as i miss all my old haunts, i don't miss all the idiots who have moved in there in the last 25 years.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

welcome to JOCO and just keep reading the board, usually is something is going on or coming up it is being talked about on here. Good luck in your new home:cheers:

5. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

www.gcaasports.com for all kinds of sports that start at various times of the year. www.gcaasoccer.com for more specifics about soccer (can also get to it from link at gcaasports).

The best way to find out about GCAA sports is to keep an eye on the websites and also to go to

http://www.gcaasoccer.com/registrations.htm

and create an account. You will be in the GCAA database at that point, and when registrations open up for various sports or other events are upcoming, you'll be on their mailing list.

Good luck!

6. Crysta

Crysta Guest

We love GCAA sports!

We like Tucker Lake and Mudcat games (and of course the Bulls games on Thursday nights). In May the Ham and Yam festival in Smithfield is a lot of fun. We have a membership to the Smithfield Aquatic Center, which is really great in the winter. And there are some good area parks and playgrounds (although I emphatically don't recommend the one on Amelia Church).

Welcome to the neighborhood!!

7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

8. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Beach Music Festival is tomorrow.... BUT more of an adult event. LOL

9. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

5yr Olds are welcome at my school, Redfield Martial Arts, feel free to visit www.redtangsoodo.com for info or pm me:lol:

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yes, YMCA just sent a flyer home on Friday. T-ball.

11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Nope, disagree. More teens show up nowadays. And they are not there for the music.

Sherry

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Welcome OP. I see a lot of people have listed items for you to review. This is a good group of folks that will always help out.

Sherry