Ideas for graduation gift

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

Glad somebody noticed it. Both my girls got that book for graduation. It brings tears to my eyes when I read it.
    My oldest graduates from college in December. I think we are sending her on a trip this time.

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I just read all about that book and since I have already given my daughter her big items I think I will buy that book and give it to her wrapped after graduation.

Thanks for always giving us good tips, OS.

Sherry

3. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Love the book! I'll be ordering a copy for sure.

4. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

My daughter refuses to have anything to do with her graduation and won't even attend. So there won't be any graduation party or gifts at my house! :banghead:

5. michelle

What in the world??

6. Sherry A.

Why?

Sherry

7. Luvgoose1

Several reasons...1. Rebellion 2. She wanted to graduate after Fall semester and go to JCC. Because their schedule overlaps with the public school system and she would not have officially graduated (even though she was done with exams) JCC would not admit her. So she only took one class (an online JCC class) at the high school and sits in front of a computer for 1 1/2 hrs. She doesn't feel her graduation is an acomplishment or something to be proud of. 3. All of her friends graduated last year so she hasn't had any close friends this year to share that senior spirit. We thought about forcing the issue but it just doesn't make sense. She told us when she graduates college that will be something she is proud of and will want to celebrate. She doesn't feel that it's senseless for others to go to graduation or that they shouldn't be proud. She just doesn't feel the same way and doesn't want to be a part of it.

8. Luvgoose1

I do see her side in part. I asked her why going to her friends graduation last year was such a big deal to her and she said she knew for them, it was an acomplishment since they were not able to go on to college. So for them it was the celebration of the end of their education and beginning of going into the adult world.

9. Sherry A.

What school system is she in? Too late but Johnston County has Middle College when a kid has taken the necessities at high school and items like that.

She seems like a strong willed person.

Sherry

10. Luvgoose1

She is in Johnston County. She tried to get into Middle School for this year but they were too full. She got a nice letter saying she was more or less on the wait list but it never happened. She is strong willed and very motivated. She has known she wanted to go into nursing for 10 years! She has her moments as any teen does, but I'm very proud of her. She is on the local EMS and also works 20-30 hours a week at another place to earn enough to make her car payments. We were lucky she didn't lose her motivation during high school; she has just been ready to move on with her education for a while now.

11. Sherry A.

JCC has a great nursing school. One of my friends is a teacher and she loves her job. Good luck to your daughter and you.

Hate the Middle College did not get back to her. Tell her to hang in.

Sherry

12. michelle

That's what my daughter is going for. She starts at JCC in the Fall and then hopefully will be accepted into the nursing program the following year. Her plan at the moment is to get her associates at JCC and then transfer to Duke for her Bachelors.

13. Sherry A.

PMing you.

Sherry