Fight at Cleveland Middle

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by RCARP, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

It's too late SS. We are outnumbered. My generation of parents (in their thirties) were all part of Generation X and alot of them see nothing wrong with being their kids' friend, listening to innappropriate music with their children, Rated R programming, because they are still trying to be cool themselves. Hell, you can't even watch TV with your children after 8 o'clock unless it is Nick - and then it is some show where the kids are all so "witty and funny" and the parents are blind idiots.

All we can do seperate oursleves from it, and let them eat each other alive.

We're f'd.

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I believe a good percentage of parents probably would be more willing to spank in public (discreetly at least), but the problem is you have many folks out there ready to call in social services or even the police if you do. This concern could force some parents to not act as quickly as they should or to use a less effective means of discipline when a spanking could be more approprate.

Mild to moderate crying or whining kids don't really bother me that much in a store or restaurant. I understand that it's tears of disappointment and that kids are having to learn how to control their emotions. Parents shouldn't attempt to overly control these emotions, but outbursts, such as tantrums, demand attention.

When it comes to schools, however, I do not want them administering a spanking. I am a firm believer as a parent that such discipline is solely the reponsibility of mama or daddy. Spanking should be from an adult that loves that child more than anything else in the world. The child should never feel unloved during discipline and a parent should always have control over their emotions. Even the Bible says that God (as Father) disciplines the children that he loves. When God bends you over his knee, its because He loves you enough to demonstrate right from wrong.

3. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Cleo, just to clarify, I never said they had to go to public school....I think private and charter schools are just fine too. I just don't think homeschooling until they are ready to go to college is a good idea. Walking into a college university having never sat in a classroom isn't going to be a good experience.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

When I started high school they had that spanking thing and the first time the Principal tried to spank me I had him call my dad. Didn't get spanked. Our family fought against that policy with the School Board and won.

I am a firm believer in correcting a child/teen when they do something inappropriate. Don't care where we are. Can always take them to the restroom to take care of business.

Sherry

5. Sherry A.

You missed what my daughter stated. Your girls will be fine. They will stay strong to beliefs you taught them, they will not follow but will lead. Drugs and drinking are all over the place. That's why mine didn't go to the Beach Festival, her decision. She enjoyed the Strawberry Festival.

The stronger parents and kids need to stick together and run off the rif raf. lol

Sherry

6. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm a little torn on the spanking issue...

I know it works, because growing up, I KNEW if I got spanked in school, I'd get it twice as bad when I got home. I got sent to the hall once and I remember praying I didn't get a spanking.....I didn't, but I didn't act up again either.

However, I can see an abuse of power going on as well in today's world.

That's why I'm a little torn...

7. Cleopatra

Truth be told, colleges and universities seek out homeschooled children. They are smarter, more mature, and have better study habits.

8. Sherry A.

Naw, they are seeking out my daughter......haha. Actually it goes pretty much from GPA, SAT and ACT scores.

Sherry

9. Cleopatra

I know at least Thing One would be OK, she has a mind of her own and is tough as nails - I just don't want to have to deal with it. Like I said, that is ten years from now.... what's it gonna be like then?

10. Cleopatra

I agree.

I say OSS for every infraction that is above your name on a chalkboard or a tally. When you infringe on the parents' time then you might see results.

11. WVELEM

WVELEM Active Member

I'm thankful my child goes to private school. The teachers there teach, children are disciplined immediately and appropriately, and there is absolutely no favoritism and no "good ol boy clique". After the experience we had at West View Elementary we vowed no child of ours will ever attend JCPS. We don't mind paying taxes to the school system and would not even care if taxes were increased.

12. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

QFT....

That's the ONE way to reach the child's best friend wannabe. Once they have to arrange AND PAY FOR someone to watch those precious little angels (snark), then maybe some little hineys will get tagged, or those budding gangsta's will be incentivized to behave appropriately. ISS (glorified timeout) doesn't work.

13. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

My DD has come home many days and told me how downright disrespectful some of her classmates are to her teachers. It infuriates her that the ones that want to learn often can't.

I was jumping for joy earlier at the thought that she would be out of the public school system in 6 weeks and then it hit me that one day I will probably have grandchildren in the same system. :banghead:

14. Sherry A.

:iagree:

15. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

As an adult you have the freedom to change jobs if you don't want to be in a certain environment or around specific people.

16. Sherry A.

My daughter had problems at the end of her Sophomore year with a group she had grown up with. She handled it better than I did. I just could not believe parents would allow such behavior, these were friends of mine. Even when I printed off items they were saying about her and what their kids were doing they did not want to read it.

Mine's tough too. She moved on, I carry a grudge when it comes to my kid because parents should be responsible for their kids. Oh well, mine never got arrested, had sex and got caught (she better not have had sex), drank and broke into places.

Karma, baby, karma. Your younger one will get tougher.

Sherry

17. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Sending your kid to private school doesn't mean you avoid all problems you experience in public school. For example, some of the biggest partiers I knew in high school went to private school. They had the cash to party!!!!

I do hate some of the stuff that goes on in public school, don't get me wrong. The biggest thing I hate is the kids that have no discipline disrupt the classrooms. And I hate the lack of respect some kids have. I see the lack of respect with kids from all kinds of backgrounds unfortunately.

I'm so thankful I went to public school though. I was exposed to people from walks of life I probably never would have if I didn't go to public school. Good and bad people. I think kids need this. We might not chose to socialize with certain people as adults but we do mingle in society.

All just my opinion..
    DB's wife

18. Sherry A.

19. Sherry A.

Jen,

We were wearing dresses when I first experienced that in high school.

When it comes to physical discipline I believe that belongs with the parents. Taught mine early that if she disrespected an adult she was in loads of trouble at home. I hope she is respectful to those in and out of school.

Sherry

20. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

Private school all the way. No use risking your kids entire future at the hands of a few non-parented deliquents. Or you can choose home schooling and end up with a socially inept child who ends up living in your basement until Theyre 30.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010