window Air Conditioners

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on window AC units. I am borrowing one from friends for my bedroom. I cant afford a new hvac system this year. The heater part works fine. I have seen Haier around a few places but never heard of them. My house is only 1130 sq feet.

Or if anyone has any I can borrow for the summer It would be much appreciated. Only if they are gathering dust in your garage or storage shed.

2. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Lowe's sells alot of Haier products, (wine coolers, refridgerators, etc.) so that is a good brand.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'd think you'd need a pretty good size window-unit to cool that much square footage. You'd probably be better off with two, one each on opposite ends of the house or just shutting off a few rooms that are least important to keep cool. Of course, you could install some ceiling fans if you don't already have any. That would help circulate the air better and often times, one in the bedroom can make a world of difference for comfort.

5. Rockyv58

I have ceiling fans in master bedroom and living room. I have the door closed off for guest bedroom with a small desk fan in there. In third bedroom(office) I have a window fan. and a window fan in the living room. I figure I need to get at least to AC units. One for my office and one for the living room\kitchen.

I have thought about getting ceiling fans for the office and guest rooms. Cause even with the hvac there was poor circulation in those two rooms.

6. Rockyv58

yea i found one a 15000 btu unit for 150.00. I emailed the person and they never got back to me and now the unit is off of the classifieds. That was a good deal for it.

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

You will need 200 BTU and above for that size house. Window units usually are for just rooms. A house? Might need two. One for each end.

8. Rockyv58

I am borrowing a window ac unit from a friend for my bedroom already. I know a 24,000 BTU would do about 1,000 to 1 400 square feet I figured with the one in my bedroom and the 15000 that would of pretty much taken care of it. I did email someone on craigslist for two 5000 btu units.

I also figure in a few weeks I am going to go to either lowes or home depot and get small ceiling fans with light kits and swap out the over head lights in my guess bedroom and office.

My living room and master bedroom already have ceiling fans with lights built in.