JCS Cuts Voted On At Next Board Meeting

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Moe, Apr 5, 2010.

1. I bet he's really cowering now.

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Yes we talk. But I don't smother him.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I understand that every family raises their children differently. It is different when it is a single parent and child, SS. You should understand that. While we live together all time and are very close. I don't smother but I do share.

Sherry

4. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Sherry I don't care what you and your daughter do. You just happen to be my topic today.

5. Sherry A.

I understand....almost told you to see if Hugh is on today. :lol: But since I have some extra time on my hands I thought we could go tit for tat for a while. Think we held up well. :lol::lol:

Sherry

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/7495766/

[​IMG]

Posted: 2:53 p.m. today
    Raleigh, N.C. — The North Carolina Education Lottery on Friday transferred $112 million to the state for education spending, bringing the total over almost five years to $1.469 billion.
    NCEL and schools: Where the money goes
    State law designates that 50 percent of proceeds be split between pre-kindergarten programs for at-risk 4-year-olds and reducing class sizes in the early grades, 40 percent to school construction and 10 percent to college scholarships.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Last I heard the Lottery was pillaged to balance the state budget, by our new Governor... who swore she would not pillage the Lottery.

8. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

(shrugging shoulders) I dunno - my lottery post was from yesterday, so maybe she took some, but sounds like its allocated by law for the schools.

9. Cleopatra

Yes it is, however she claimed "constitutional authority".

I don't know why I can't find an actual news link, as I recall reading about it on WRAL. But it *did* happen - and not surprisingly.

http://theknightshift.blogspot.com/2009/03/bev-perdues-lottery-looting-costs.html

http://www.news-record.com/content/..._perdues_lottery_grab_violates_states_promise

http://www.jwpcivitasinstitute.org/...pective/bev-purdue-s-broken-campaign-promises

And remember, when the lottery came into existance Easley took those existing funds for schools and reallocated them elsewhere - so there was no increase in school funding.

This is why I never have, and never will purchase a lottery ticket.

10. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Have a link for that? I've always heard that they DIDN"T reallocate. Thanks.

11. Cleopatra

This is not the article I was thinking of, but this one does state lottery proceeds were replacing school funds.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1091447/

The one I was looking for (and have posted on 4042 before) actually quotes Easley stating that the passing of the lottery allowed school funds to be allocated elsewhere.

I'll need some more time to find that link.

**** Edit

After perusing 4042, that might be the article I was thinking of. And going back and rereading our posts on this subject over the years has absolutely sickened me and reminded me that even our state gov is not to be trusted, that they do not have our best interests and our childrens' best interests in mind.

Promises of more teachers, better pay for teachers, school construction. Are the schools still getting 35% of the proceeds, or did it go down to 29%? I'll have to look later. I am going to the gym to burn off this animosity. :evil:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  12. Shadow Rider

Only thing, it doesn't show that the lottery proceeds replaced school funds. Easley advisers were floating that idea "trial balloon" but we see by the end of the article that Easley himself is backtracking from the idea:

[Late Tuesday Easley issued a statement about the issue.

"Education lottery money will supplement, not supplant existing spending for education and I will not recommend nor sign legislation that reduces the state's spending for education," Easley said.

In actuality Easley could not reallocate, as that is the job of the General Assembly to craft a budget and pass it for the Governor's signature.

Bottom line is the population has been increasing, and funding has increased for education since before the lottery came on board and if the lottery hadn't passed, some school construction throughout the state would have been halted or more taxes would have had to be imposed.

More monies have been available for education than ever before between state revenues and the lottery funds. But spending has increased even more than the revenues.

13. Cleopatra

Thanks SR, I was wondering when I read that last part as well, and then with Perdue taking funds to balance the state budget - I wouldn't put anything past them. The article is confusing, as most of it is stating that the funds will replace, and then at the end Easley issues that statement. I would like to find some proof that his decision was upheld.

14. Sherry A.

This is an opinion......between upholding the lottery funds for education and Perdue stating she is the "Education Governor" I'd bet she has not tapped into it for anything other than what the law allows.

Sherry

15. Cleopatra

Yeah, she ran on Easley's coattails. I *know* the law allows it, it doesn't make it right. I also know alot of at-risk-youth programs were cut as well to balance the budget.

Hmm.. Let's rob the education lottery, cut out programs for troubled kids, and then stand around and scratch our heads five years from now and wonder why the crime? Why the dropouts?

I want my vote back. ** On second thought I did not vote for her, I was going to but after watching the debate and her flubbing and playing dumb on Easley's email deletion scam and her tauting "Infrastructure and Technology" I said... "I don't think so"

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  16. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

i've said it before, i'll say it again...

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. Sherry A.

I refuse to judge, whether it be a Dem or GOP, on whether she knew about his email and all. The Attorney General will let us know.

Sherry

18. Sherry A.

She looks good and Jack is always a hoot. I know what you were saying and doing but I see it differently. She's guilty until proven innocent in today's world.

Sherry

19. Sherry A.

Why of course. Don't find other pics funny do ya' P? I still love ya' no matter how much you disagree with my politics. Maybe I'm an idiot for doing that. :mrgreen: Figure you like to use "idiot" with me a lot so I'd use it with you. :lol:

Sherry

20. Shadow Rider

The proof is in the state budget increasing education spending each year, without the lottery revenues, since the lottery passed. Most of the increase is ate up by salary increases to staff (not just teachers either). As usual, the problem is not lack of money, but too much spending.

As far as Bev taking the lottery funds, that she did to balance the state budget. Of course with education being such a big part of the budget, guess it could be argued that she took the lottery funds and put directly into the education budget, without going to school construction, scholarships,etc.

That is why some of us wanted the lottery funds to be set up like Georgia's and go all to scholarship, so if it was messed with it would be more obvious.