Need to Cash In A Stock Certificate

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., May 4, 2010.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

My broker is located in Tennessee and I have a certificate I just want to cash in. Everybody I call wants me to open an account. I just want to trade the certificate for a check and deposit today.

Anyone know of someone who does this? My bank does not!

Sherry

2. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I think the answers you're getting are right. You probably will need to open an account, so that it can be deposited, then you'll need to sell the shares. It normally takes three business days for the trade (selling the shares) to settle, and you won't be able to get a check until after that happens.

3. Sherry A.

Shares have already settled. I have the certificate from Mexico. Found someone, I think.

Thanks so much!

Sherry

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I don't know about all the trading companies now. But back in 1995 when I sold some shares of Xerox stock that were left to me by my grandfather back in the 70's I contacted Xerox. I had actual stock certificates and I got physical statements in hand issued by Xerox every quarter, and over the years as the shares profited they reinvested toward more shares. Anyways, Xerox sent me paperwork for each "account", i had 2, one in my name alone, and one was in my name and my mothers. We signed the paperwork to sell the shares, sent it back, and they sent a check.

Have you tried contacting the company that issued the stocks? Now it might all be able to be done via fax/scanning, email and direct deposit ?

5. Sherry A.

Yep. You know exactly what I am talking about. I thought it could all be done the newer way like you are talking about but nope......this is Walmart Mexico. Had to call down to Mexico to get the certificate although Mellon handles it here. Didn't know mother had this until dividend checks kept arriving. I was lucky. When I cashed it in last week shares were around $24 and when it settled 3 days later they were at $63, now they are down below $24.

Someone's watching over me, I swear. Actually found James Forrester in Smithfield that works with my bank as well.

Nicest thing happened. I cannot drive so Cleo is getting dressed and taking me down to Smithfield and back. What a friend. 4042ers are so awesome.

Sherry

6. Sherry A.

Why is this so hard? Tassy contact me when you can. These are companies mother bought the stock directly through and they want paperwork done to change each one to my name only and then will issue a check instead of a certificate like the last one did. One company will take 2 1/2 weeks to issue the check. WTF?

That's a problem when I sell the stock when it's high over the phone and they then have to process the paperwork, even though I'm a joint tenant, before they will sell and the stock has to settle. I'm talking about it doubled when I initiated the trade and sell and has gone back down now. Bunch of jerks.

I have more to go and my broker is in Tennessee so they cannot really be of help. Sent all of the paperwork one asked for overnight only to be told yesterday that they need more because of her death. I had already sent them everything but one form, which they did not ask for. This is the one that doubled and is now down again.

I have six or seven more to go that I know of and she died last August. Only way I found out was to close all her bank accounts and dividend checks are coming my way.

UGGG!

Sherry

7. Sherry A.

Not even funny, P. This is really getting old and with stocks going down it's hurting our family.

Sherry

8. Sherry A.

Yes, I understand that Greece has bankers walking out and the Euro is getting ready to dive.......that's no joke since I have Euro as well. I also understand that this is going to hurt our market along with the oil spill but I'm getting worried because I tried to sell high when I thought stocks were going to go down.

I know I'm lucky to have this when others don't but I didn't know my mother with Alzheimer's had purchased all these separate ones not going through our broker. Guess she should have thought the Liberals were going to screw everything up.

Sherry

9. Sherry A.

Thanks for the PMs everybody. 4042 comes through again, even if for a shoulder or someone to understand the frustration.

Sherry