Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kaci, May 4, 2010.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

just curious, is it legal to tell an employee he can keep his health insurance only if he is willing to take a cut in pay??? i think that is pretty petty and low life myself especially since the one asking keeps flaunting his new everything to the employees he is asking to do this? The insurance is the cheapest possible and doesn't cover crap and not free but it is better than nothing, yet the employee has to take a pay cut to keep it. What would you do? Now remember the employee is now making $15k less than 4 years ago already. Also, for you insurance folks, isn't it required that the employee sign something stating he is rejecting said insurance if that decision is made? Gotta love business owners that get rich off the backs of others and then as they flaunt their wealth they treat the ones that got them there worse and worse. What happened to the days when employees were appreciated for doing a dang good job and making money for the owner of a small company?

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I believe David Alan Coe (and Johnny Paycheck) said it best.... :twisted:

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

lmao, yep in a different economy that would be the best thing to do & granted the economy is on an upswing so those that are taking advantage of employees now will pay the price then:cheers:

4. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I believe you have to offer the same thing to all employees. So if thats what the others were told, its fine. But they cant do that to just him.

5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

That's true when the pay grade or job classification is similar to others. Good ole Corporate America can classify your pay grade / classification separately from others and then shove the stick up there deep for you. Labor laws are a joke .... nationally.

6. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Employer provided health insurance is not a gift, it's part of a compensation package.

7. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

True, but so is an hourly rate, and I know it's perfectly legal for them to reduce your hourly rate. So I'm not sure how it applies to benefits?

8. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I was just disputing PRM's comment, not implying that they would not be allowed to reduce benefits.

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Tell 'em to shove the insurance up their ... and pay the person more per hr.

10. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I think I would make a call to the labor board to see if that is legal. Even though this is a right to work state. Emplorers can't do certain things without authority.

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:iagree::iagree:

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Thanks SS, that was my first thought too but also saw a few months ago that the labor board in NC is so backed up it could take 6 months just to get a return call, guess there are a lot of companies taking advantage of the high unemployment rate these days:cry:

13. Oy Vayayay

Oy Vayayay Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what you find out, but I seriously doubt that you have recourse. I know of no legal requirement for your employer to offer insurance benefits.

I believe that this is going to be the norm. We're all going to get dumped onto the "public option", not just the 16 million Bammy claims in order to understate his deficits.

14. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

At my work, my employer pays 50% of my insurance and I was told in November of 2009 when the policy renewed that most likely I will be paying 60% when it's time to renew in November of 2010. It stinks, but I don't have much choice other than to look for a new job or find a policy that's cheaper.