Strawbale Gardening - no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Strawbaleman, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

ljk: sounds like blossom end rot.

Stress will play a large part, but will usually correct itself out.

We've had some temp swings, hot, cold, windy weather.

Too much and too little water and fertilizer will also play a factor.

Have you got more details?

Kent

2. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Not sure what details you need, but here goes;

The garden looks pretty good, lots of buds and blossoms everywhere.

I water when I think it is needed, but not everyday. I use Miracle grow once a week.

The squash start out looking good and firm, and then when they get to 3-4 inches the end (furthest from the plant) starts to get mushy. I have had 5 or 6 do that and I am worried all my crop will be like that. :-(

Thanks for your help!!

3. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Sounds like classic blossom end rot - a calcium deficiency issue that can be caused by several things such as uneven watering, too much nitrogen, weather, etc, as I mentioned earlier.

If the plants are looking healthy, just continue your routine and they should grow out of this problem.

Tomatoes have the same problem.

BER is major agricultural problem that is NOT cured by sprays on the plant, egg shells in the planting hole, etc.

So, don't fret, I've had the same issues.

Kent

4. RickNC

RickNC Active Member

Anyone else have wilting issues? Every time it gets sunny and hot all my plants (except tomatoes) get severly wilted. As soon as it cools back down they come right back. :?

5. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

One of the tomato leaves toward the bottom looked kind of funky yesterday,like curled inward,I had watered in the morning though...

6. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Thanks!

7. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Typical, especially for young squash and cukes in new bales, until they get a good root system in place.

As you mentioned, they bounce back after the sun gets off them and they get a little water.

8. izitmidnight

izitmidnight Member

Does anyone have a problem with the backs of their tomato leaves turning silver and papery? My tomatos are absolutely loaded with both fruit and blooms. So far only one plant is having the silver leaf issue. I've not been able to identify a fungus, bacteria, insect or blight that could cause this. Any suggestions?

9. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

About the only thing that comes to mind would be white mold,found this on the web:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/okgard/msg041402286858.html?10

10. RickNC

RickNC Active Member

I have little 2 inch squash on my plants. :hurray:

11. The_Investigator

The_Investigator Well-Known Member

Me too! Saw it last night.

12. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

No little squashes yet on my plants, but I see some itsy bitsy maters. After the rain the past few days, my plants have really taken off.

13. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

A few updated pics from today

Cukes

[​IMG]

Squash & zucchini

[​IMG]

Peppers

[​IMG]

Corn - trying this for the 1st time in bales

[​IMG]

Tomatoes

[​IMG]

14. RickNC

RickNC Active Member

You have quite the garden there Kent. I wish I had the space.

From now on I think I will move zuccini and squash a ways from everything else. Those plants are so large and have big leaves they are crowding everything else a bit.

How do you get such nice peppers Kent? Mine always look near death.

What is that around each plant? Looks like potting soil.

15. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Rick: yeah, those squash can get pretty big on you.

This year I got a lot of my plants a little early and ended transplanting them from the 4 packs into 4 inch pots, so they had a lot more root system which I think is better.

My peppers in years past always started out slow, looked a little sickly, but then snapped out of it.

This year they have done much better from the beginning.

I put some commercial 0.5-0.5-0.5 manure around each plant, plus some Osmocote slo release pellets.

I like for my plants to get some food each time I water rather than just jolt them all at once with Miracle Gro.

16. RickNC

RickNC Active Member

I also spread some manure around. How often do you put manure out? RIght now I am putting mg every week.

17. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Rick: I probably won't put any more commercial manure out. I'll let the Osmocote do it's thing and do some MG as needed.

18. Lantanalane

Lantanalane Member

Has anyone...

gotten fireants in their bales yet. I discovered one last week and 2 more this week..I am so aggravated. I suppose I will be chasing them all summer from bale to bale. If anyone has any suggestions or has dealt with them in their bales...please share or offer any tips.

Thanks!

19. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

20. Lantanalane

Lantanalane Member

Thanks Craig,

I'll pick some up and give it a go!