Angry About Clayton High School Year Book

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., May 15, 2010.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We received the year books on Friday and I thought I was going to pass out. The one page advertisement I paid $300.00 for to congratulate my daughter, put in the letter her grandmother wanted in because she knew she could not hold on until then and her congratulations from her grandfather became an embarrassment.

Thank goodness her grandparents words to her turned out right but mine had whole portions of sentences missing and one misspelling, which I had corrected three times to the staff.

Also, I left out putting her name on the page but on my first proof the year book staff caught that one and I kept approving it afterward and thanking them.

It's pretty much ruined. The Senior Quote she looked for all summer was incorrect and left out a few words, which made the quote not make sense.

Page after page were mistakes. On the swim team pages they did not put a picture of one senior and it was the only Varsity sport who had a junior write about the experience of swimming. We only had two seniors and mine was the Captain.....no mention.

We had a teacher who was on Jepordy (sp) and once again no mention. In my opinion he should have had a page in the front. He is now in Fortune Magazine.....but not in our year book.

Two pages dedicated to "cars" and whose family bought the "heated seat" cars. Two pages! They already had a technolgy section for future generations.

I spoke with the Adviser in charge and he kept telling me the students ran the year book. I kept asking him did they not have an "adult" supervisor. He was nice but still unprofessional.

I went to the school to speak with the Principal and told him how we still look at my parents year books after all these years and if he went page by page every single one had at least one mistake.

I know they work hard but this is unacceptable. Like I said to him....my grandchildren will not have a clue what I wrote to their mother nor what her quote was.

I also told him that year after year the graduating students had stood out on the football field and made the year they were graduating out of there bodies but not this year.

I suggested that the two pages dedicated to cars should have been thought through way closer. Many families cannot afford a car for their child and some walk to school. We have a recession going on, unemployment rampant, 2 wars, environmental disasters, etc. I explained that I had suggested ahead of time that one page be dedicated to the first time voters in this class who are making a difference and maybe the other page dedicated to our soldiers. He did agree on my thought process.

He wanted to know what would cause my daughter and me to be happy about it. I told him a full refund on my advertisement to my daughter (300.00) the cost of the book (100.00), reprinting of all year books and redistribution after proofing done by outside adults. He did not think that was affordable and I asked him what is affordable to those who want to remember the good times by looking at the year book years later.

Another 4042er looked at the book and in no time was able to see many, many more mistakes.

Just have to vent here as I don't want to ruin all of this for my daughter. Bunch of jack arses......................:evil:

Sherry

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Wow, And this is what they allow to Graduate from High School! Yikes, maybe they need better personnel and teachers over there.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Yearbook Advisor maybe should step down for 2010-2011.

4. Sherry A.

I mentioned that as well.

Sherry

5. Sherry A.

I am a Corporate Accountant and I used that as my example. I told him that at no point could a Trial Balance not balance and that I always took it home to review several times. I explained how the Board of Directors just would not go for my explanation of how everyone that worked for me was responsible for that happening and how I could just see the reaction from the SEC.

He nodded but I am unsure if that actually sank in.

Just so saddened,
    Sherry

6. gooberama

gooberama Guest

my wife was looking at it and was disappointed to, my son was part of the Key Club and some other club, both with pictures that apparently were not in there. Also she commented about some of the strange choices made in the book. I'm going to look at it tomorrow to see what the stink is all about.

7. Sherry A.

Glad you are going to look at. Please give me your opinion as my daughter is an Officer of the Key Club. Are you aware that it is one of the Advisers of the Key Club that was on Jeopardy and is in Fortune Magazine?

Sherry

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

The spelling and grammatical errors were glaringly obvious. One big bold mistake was "Varisity Volleyball". Wow. My son is only attending CHS for this year, and then going to the new HS. I saw no point in puchasing a 75.00 yearbook for him, and am glad I didn't. I would be demanding my money back too.

The car pages were tacky and unnecessary - but hey, this is what important to kids nowadays. Stuff. Esp stuff that their parents buy for them. Those cars cost more than mine. Turn on MTV and check out Teen Cribs. This is what kids are watching and has encouraged this mindset.

I agree the Jeopardy teacher should have had a page in lieu of cars, and a page of first time voters for the past election would have been nice. But, let's dedicate two pages to spoiled kids instead and then we'll scratch our heads and wonder what has happened to America's youth.

9. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

My daughter is a senior and she has purchased the yearbook the past three years. This year she didn't want anything to do with it and even though we offered to get it for her, she said no. She didn't want an ad as she felt that the cost was ridiculous as well. After reading all of this, I don't have any regrets about her decision.

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Parents and students should protest by demanding a refund. If enough refunds are given, they'd force a reprint and I'd bet that you would have a better yearbook next year. A yearbook chronicles the school year and this sounds as if it is a poor representation for 2010. If you're not going to take it seriously, why bother?

11. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Sounds like they've never heard of spell check. Even if the other info is wrong/missing, there's no excuse for spelling errors. It's a shame that they couldn't publish a good yearbook, as years later, most of the stuff that didn't make it to the book will be forgotten.

12. Sherry A.

:iagree: and hope it happens. I know of some who have called the school and others who are going to see those adults involved early this week. I just happened to be the first parent who complained and went to the school. Maybe because my daughter gave me her year book right away and I wanted to join in her excitement.

Sherry

13. Sherry A.

I was honored to be with Cleo on Saturday and showed her the year book. Sometimes a person wonders if it is just them or they are looking at something right. Cleo found mistakes I had not yet gotten to in just a few seconds. Later that day I received many phone calls about the year book and not in a good light.

It's a shame the annual is this way and the thinking was more on materialist items than voting, wars, congratulations to a great teacher, etc. Sure an annual should be about fun but leaving out Mr. S. and the concentration of materialist items was very obvious.

I make mistakes on my spelling and grammar and both kdc and KDs help me with those, as I asked them to. But I am way past high school and wonder how it can be so blatant in a school year book.

Thanks for letting me rant on about this as I need adult shoulders.

Sherry

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I bet this would make a great news story for WRAL or The Herald. Wouldn't they just love to inquire how a school yearbook could be so full of errors. Of course, I find quite a few typos on WRAL's website at times.

15. PBJtime

PBJtime Guest

I also was upset that after correcting the proof for my son's $300 Sr ad (time and time and time again) that it was still printed wrong. Also, he was left out of 2 club pictures and yes there were many words misspelled. But to be honest, most of what takes place in that school has been a joke.

16. Rush1

Rush1 Banned

Based on Sherry's grammar on this topic, it would seem she was the yearbook's editor.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

SHE didn't take money to do so.

18. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

There is usually a cut off time to get things in the yearbook which may be why the Jeopardy teacher wasn't in there. Usually the spring sports are in there the folling year. I bet the teacher will be in there next year.
    I do agree with the typos and Senior ads. My daughter worked with the yearbook when she was in school. She created and approved her own ad. When it came back from print it was wrong so maybe its not all the students and advisors fault but the company printing them. And if that's the case everyone should demand a refund and look for another company to do these next year.

19. beebsy

beebsy Well-Known Member

:iagree: Rock on, Cleo!!

20. Oy Vayayay

Oy Vayayay Well-Known Member

Cadillac had heated seats in 1967, probably earlier. I like the heated steering wheel AND seats in my BMW. And I probably paid less for that car than most of those kids paid for their Cobalts and Pontiac Canned Hams.