trampoline-new or used?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by dangerboy, May 14, 2010.

1. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Is it worth looking for a used trampoline on Craigs List?
    I worry about things like parts that might be missing, worn out parts, how to transport and the ease of putting it back together.
    I know the best thing would be a new one but money is kind of tight. We really want to get one for our son though.
    What do you guys think?

DB's wife

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I think a used one would be okay if db really checked it over. We've had people in our hood sell some that are nearly new. I'll check our "hood" to see if anybody is ready to get rid of one.

What are you looking for? Need one with those nets around it or not?

Sherry

3. dangerboy

definitely looking for one with a net. i would think we should get one of the big ones since my son is 8. then he can grow with it.

db's wife

4. Sherry A.

Already made several calls and should find out this weekend. Will let you or db know. We have some families in the "hood" whose children have grown out of the ones they bought them and they are with the net.

Sherry

P.S. Yep, I'm the scavenger of the neighborhood! lol

5. dangerboy

Where is the best place to get one new? What's a good price to pay? Are they a bear to put together?

DB's wife

6. Sherry A.

http://shop.bjs.com/Trampolines_stcVVcatId541479VVviewcat.htm

Most everyone I have talked to got there's from the site above, or similar site. I heard they are pretty easy to put together if you have someone who knows tools and follows the instructions. Tightening items is very important. It does not take long to put them together.

Do you know anyone who follows the instructions, tightens very good and knows tools? tee hee

Sherry

7. dangerboy

:popcorn:

8. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

Yep, what she said

"Santa" brought ours a few years ago. I had the luxury of not being involved in the set up. DH and a friend put it together. I would say if you can put it in a spot that gets part shade.

Personally, on things like that I would buy new.

9. dangerboy

not really...tee hee hee

db's wife

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I vote used. The novelty wore off quick here, especially since there is only one set of kids nearby and their parents wouldn't let them jump on it. We sold it later on and were happy to get it out of the yard.

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Aren't those things big liability issues? I'd be fretful that a neighborhood kid or friend of your child would get hurt.

12. dangerboy

That's a good question, I have no idea. Could you post a sign that says,
    "Jump at your own risk!" lol

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

It may be a good question to ask a insurance agent anonymously. I've heard it said before that some insurance companies wouldn't even insure you if you had a trampoline because of the dangers of them. I can't say for sure, but you might want to know what the liability risks are (if any) before buying one.

14. Sherry A.

Believe me these trampolines haven't been used enough to really call used.

db and wife,

My daughter put two notices at the swimming pool today for everyone to know since I know the younger kids parents but have not checked out their backyards.

She put one on the entrance to the pool and the information board. She is a top life guard and teaches lessons to the little ones. She told me that she already had some ask her questions about it. We'll give it a few weeks because the pool has not opened full yet. Memorial Day weekend will be the one to see what happens. If you guys can wait that long I am hoping to save you the money these people don't care about spending.

Me, I look for bargains and once again these trampolines have hardly been used......I know, I've lived in this neighborhood for 17 years.

If you want to move faster just let me know and we'll take the notices down and put the word out.

It is up to you guys. Just wondering about putting it together....tee hee....if we get one from here it will already be put together by a professional and you can get a truck to put it in.

Just sayin,
    Sherry

15. dangerboy

your dd is awesome

16. dangerboy

U guys really do rock!

What pool does she work at?

DBs wife

17. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

There was a segment last week or the week before on the CBS Early show about the dangers. One contributing factor of injuries among the kids and adults using them was the fact that there was more than one person on the trampoline at one time - something to do with the weight distribution and how it affects the person jumping/landing. We bought our house years ago and it came with a trampoline - we actually got rid of it bcause we didn't want the liability of someone getting hurt. That was the other thing they talked about in the segment - insurance companies and their guidelines for people who own them.

18. dangerboy

it sucks that so much stuff thats fun or taste really good is bad for you!

db's wife

19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I've seen some trampolines that were actually placed inside a pit so that they were level with the ground. Not sure if these are specially designed units or basic trampolines just put in a dug-out hole, but that sounds a bit safer since jumpers wouldn't have as far to fall off.

I know I wouldn't buy my son one because he'd likely push the limits of safety for a greater thrill. For a more cautious child, it might be okay with rules set.

20. beebsy

beebsy Well-Known Member

I know that trampolines are really a hot item, but they really are not very safe...forget about the house insurance, I hope you have good HEALTH insurance...those emergency department and orthopedic visits are EXPENSIVE!! :mrgreen: Just sayin'...