trampoline-new or used?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by dangerboy, May 14, 2010.

1. beebsy

beebsy Well-Known Member

:iagree:

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

My sister and I had a trampoline growing up, we survived somehow without nets. :?

3. beebsy

beebsy Well-Known Member

I know, right? Bikes with no helmets, climbing trees without safety harnesses, playing on merry-go-rounds and teeter-totters! It's amazing we're alive!! LOL!! But as far as the trampolines go, the only "safety" equipment that goes along with that is the netting...my brother is an emergency room physician for over 20 years, and he sees (and has seen) A LOT of trampoline injuries---when I wanted to get one for the kids, he STRONGLY cautioned against this, based on what he has seen, first hand. The majority of trauma injuries ARE preventable, and we prevent them with the use of safety equipment, or better, by not getting into the situation to begin with...that's all I am saying. And it's said in the spirit of not wanting to see people hurt, not in the spirit of being hurtful...:)
    Good luck out there, and BE SAFE!!

PS: Below is an article about trampoline safety, so if you do have one, or are planning to get one, there is good information about accident prevention...
    By CAROL SEAVEY - Live Well editor | Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:00 am
    One day last summer, 8-year-old Audrey Mitchell ran to her room and shut the door. She didn't want her father, Dr. Matt Mitchell, to see the bloody nose she had gotten while playing crack the egg on a neighbor's trampoline.
    The Casper girl wanted a trampoline of her own, but her father was against it. And this wouldn't help.
    Mitchell, an orthopaedic surgeon at Casper Orthopaedics Associates, sees about one patient each week in the summer for trampoline injuries.
    After weighing the risks and benefits of owning a backyard trampoline, the Mitchells decided against it.
    In 2003, hospital emergency rooms, doctors' offices and clinics treated 211,646 trampoline injuries in children under age 19, according to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
    The most common trampoline injuries are sprains and fractures, which usually result from a fall on the trampoline, according to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
    Severe injuries are rare, but can result in paralysis and even death. From 1990 to 2000, 11 trampoline related deaths were reported to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
    The American Academy of Pediatrics says no one should use backyard trampolines, as adult supervision cannot adequately prevent injuries. Trampolines should only be used in supervised training programs for gymnastics, diving and other competitive sports, the academy says.
    Despite this recommendation, backyard trampoline sales continue to rise. The International Trampoline Industry Association estimated that 640,000 backyard trampolines were sold in 1998. That's a 350 percent increase from 1989.
    "As the number keeps on increasing, we're just going to get more and more injuries," Mitchell said.
    Then, there's the liability.
    Backyard trampolines are generally considered attractive nuisances.
    "If somebody hurts themselves, it's typically going to be considered the homeowner's responsibility," said Bret Drury of Farmers Insurance Group in Casper.
    Some insurance companies may have exclusions for trampolines, some require a fence to be built around trampolines to prevent access by neighborhood children or passers-by, and others may not cover them at all.
    If you ever plan to get a trampoline, definitely check with your insurance company, Drury said.
    There's little chance that people are going to stop buying trampolines. But there are some steps you can take to make summer jumping safe and fun:
    • Only allow one kid on the trampoline at a time. Oftentimes, injuries occur when there are multiple jumpers because they can collide with each other or catapult one another off the trampoline.
    • Prevent falls. Since the average kid can jump eight to 10 feet into the air on a trampoline, falling off a raised trampoline could result in a 13-foot fall. "Injuries do occur when they bounce off the trampoline," Mitchell said, "and that's where the severe injuries occur." Get a net, place the trampoline in an area where it's surrounded by a soft surface or set the trampoline in the ground.
    • Check the trampoline regularly for safety conditions. Make sure the supporting bars and mat are not damaged and that the springs are covered with protective padding.
    • Supervise jumpers to enforce proper use. Especially watch young kids, Mitchell said. Place the trampoline somewhere in the yard where you can see it from the house.
    • Avoid somersaults and other high-risk maneuvers. Landing incorrectly from a somersault can result in paralysis or death, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
    • Remove the ladder. Trampolines haven't been sold with ladders since 1999. If you have one, take it off to prevent young children from accessing the trampoline unsupervised. Don't allow children under age six on trampolines.
    • Secure the trampoline in place. Heavy winds can blow trampolines over and damage property.
    Carol Seavey is editor of Live Well Wyoming. Contact her at 307-266-0544 or carol.seavey@trib.com.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

If I told ya' I'd have to kill ya'. :mrgreen::jester::mrgreen: db can probably tell you, it's our neighborhood pool.

Sherry

5. Sherry A.

Thank you and she'll do for a teen. :lol::lol:

Sherry

6. Sherry A.

I never had the experience as a child to play on one of those things but they look fun to me as an adult. My kid has been playing on other kid's since she was little bitty and yep she got hurt many times. She also got hurt riding a bike, crossing the street, swimming, roller skating, walking up the stairs in our house, walking down the stairs in our house, etc. Today she hurt herself by not realizing one of the chairs in the den had legs on it so......another broken toe.

I'm just saying that my kid is accident prone and I've always put that down on camp and school forms. People get hurt all the time doing just everyday things.

I swear we should see if mine could not enter and win the worldwide prize for accidents. Ask gcoats3, if he remembers, about her learning to ride a bike. He was kind enough to let the local kids ride around his driveway and just as mine thought she had it without training wheels, while all the parents are clapping, she runs right into another boy (older than her) and the two went down. He must of have been 12 or so but he started crying because he thought it was all his fault. I didn't care whose fault it was but I did care about her broken arm.

Dang kid just seems to go with the wind and not pay attention. Of course not every injury has been her fault, like the snake bite, but let's just say we are like the Taylor family on Home Improvement........they know us at the emergency room. :lol::lol::lol:

Sherry

7. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

FWIW

Back to trampolines....think I caugt an ad out of the corner of my eye: Wal-Mart -with safety net - a little over $200.

8. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Thanks! I am gonna check around on new ones this week just to see whats out there.

DB's wife

9. Sherry A.

We have our first bite on the trampoline flyer at our pool. It is a very good trampoline but has no net. My daughter will get the telephone number tomorrow and I will call and go look at it.

Not sure if a net can be attached but I will ask and I will check it out before I let you guys know.

Remember, this is just our first bite and I think we will get more during the holiday weekend.

Sherry