ok ?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sassymom, May 18, 2010.

1. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

with all the threads lately about teenage drivers wrecks and deaths do we have any kind of event for teenagers.. let me explain. I know some schools bring in local police officers of SHP to do events at the schools or show videos about the dangers of driving but with this being such an epidemic in our county would we be better off having a big event for teenagers and their families to go to with SHP, DMV, EMS, FD etc.. showing the videos, have some of the kids that have been in these wrecks talk or parents.. bring in the demonstrations of how people are cut out of cars, the driving simulators..

see where I am going with this.. just my thought of the day, if we have something like this already it really needs to be publized a lot better!

2. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

When I was in HS and took drivers ed we had to watch that nasty video "mechanical death" I think was the name wonder if they still show that?!?!?!

3. sassymom

idk, but it just doesnt seem to be enough!!

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Yes, we do have those events going on throughout the school year. Some now include using cell phones and reading/doing text.

They watch videos, have speakers, see cars that have been in wrecks and also beat cars with huge hammers to see how easy it is for trees and stuff to destroy vehicles and hurt/kill people.

They do similar programs in regards to getting pregnant and sex as well.

They've been doing these for years while each year the program(s) get more extensive.

Sherry

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

There was an article in one of the local papers (Clev Post?) the other week about adding more safety emphasis to the drivers ed program - such as having the 'cone' obstacle course, driving w/ beer goggles, braking at high speeds. I'm sure most of you have seen these on tv. So I do hope they'll add this type of stuff. Its one thing to be taught what you 'should' do in an emergency - and quite another to actually experience it and not panick. I think this had a lot to do with so many accidents being caused from folks running off the road and over-correcting etc.

found the article: http://www.clevelandpost.com/view/f...ce-works-to-put-the-brakes-on-teen-fatalities?

6. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I say they make big posters to hang in the halls with pictures of their friends' crumpled cars, their friends' funerals, their friends' smiling faces and they can look at them all day long EVERY DAY and maybe, just maybe, they will see it enough to have it sink in that they need to be more careful on the road.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  7. sassymom

something like that would be great, going to a closed road course like HP train on, whatever they are doing just doesnt seem enough for some reason!! I think the parents should have to be involved as well.. somehow!!

8. sassymom

I guess I am thinking some on a much larger scale, I mean we hold events for everything.. why not something like this.. Have something at JCC where I believe they have a car track, have kids go thru a course have the parents there to learn ways to help there kids...

sorry I don't do anything small

lol

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Please note on my post that on the sexual ones they do with the girls who are pregnant or have had a child they do have to get a PARENT signature to attend.

Sherry

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

this may be the cruelest, yet best way imho. putting it in THEIR backyards is the only way they'll get it. too easy to fall into the "it won't happen to me" thing otherwise. it might happen to you. it most certainly can happen to you. your dead buddy such-and-such didn't think it would happen to him, either....

11. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Another safe idea would be a driving simulator that would also be a "crash" simulator.

12. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

what needs to happen is to RE-TRAIN the adults that drive these kids around...where do you think they learn this reckless behavior from? I would go on record saying that I have never encountered a teenager in my commute to and from Raleigh on a daily basis....it's their parents!

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

You mean their parents aren't professional Nascar drivers and that I-40 isn't a Super speedway like Daytona or Talladega?

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

It's probably going to be hard to impress upon teens the dangers of driving when experienced adults also tend to have the "it can't happen to me" mentality. I bet we all take for granted how close we are to death hurtling down the highway at 70 mph at one time or another. Many of these situations are split second decisions that really may not depend upon years of experience. Obviously inexperience raises the risks, but I've seen plenty of 'grown-ups' drive like jackasses.

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

CLASSIC DRIVER EDUCATIONAL FILMS
    Signal 30 (released 1959)

On October 16, 1959, Signal 30 became the first documented driver education film ever to be released. Its name was derived from a police radio code for "an accident with injuries." Signal 30 mirrored the sensibilities of other educational films released during the Eisenhower era with hyped footage of in-your-face consequences for careless and deviant behavior. And even though it lasted only 13 minutes, it was an instant hit on the school circuit.

Mechanized Death (released 1961)

This jewel featured 28 minutes of carnage and gore. Despite the endless graphic footage of blood drenched faces lifelessly wedged through spidered windshields, the narrator's overly dire voice added a comical element, creating the expectation that at any moment he was also going to begin lecturing on the dangers of VD, marijuana and Russia's impending Communist invasion.

Wheels of Tragedy (released 1963)

Buoyed by the success of the first two films, Wayman took generous creative license by meshing staged reenactments with real accident footage.

In one reenacted scene, a cocksure driver named Frank ignores the desperate pleas of his girlfriend to slow down with the assurance, "Everybody goes over the speed limit sometimes." Predictably, seconds later both of are seen screaming as their car tragically plummets off of the edge of a hairpin turn. This is then followed by real aftermath footage of a car that tumbled down an embankment.

Wheels of Tragedy rates as the true pinnacle of driver training films. And though its intent is serious Wheels of Tragedy, in today's eyes, comes across as Saturday Night Live worthy.

Highway of Agony (released 1969)

This film is the last great driver education scare flick by Wayman. After Carrier or Killer (a driving film devoted to truckers) and The Third Killer (a far-reaching film that touched on heart disease, cancer and traffic accidents) received tepid response, Wayman returned to the roots of his hit-formula with graphic accident footage, staged driving scenarios, and plenty of awful mood-setting background music.

Signal 30 - http://www.archive.org/details/Signal301959

Red Asphalt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQfDB0d6cTI

Highway of Agony - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzr7CHX_0b0&feature=related

Mechanized Death - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDonq-3LVO8

16. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Parents need to learn how to drive to be able to teach their kids how to drive. Don't depend on someone to have a class or meeting on dangers of driving. Driving demands your undivided attention. Contrary to popular belief a lot of people can't talk on the phone and drive at the same time.

Ask yourself:
    Do I stop at red lights and yeild to traffic before turning right on red or do I just roll through to beat traffic.
    Do I obey the lines on the road, Or do I cross solid lines at intersections and on & off ramps on highways to beat traffic.
    Do I drive the speed limit or do I take 5,8,or 10 over. Teach your kids to break the law and the see how much further they can break the law.
    Do I teach my kids how to drive correctly or depend on a few hours of class and 6 hours of driving to be enough to turn them loose on the road.

PARENTS TEACH YOUR KIDS HOW TO DRIVE AND DONT TURN THEM LOOSE UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THEY CAN HANDLE IT!!!

17. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

It could be helpful to teach them to drive defensively rather than so darned aggressively. But again that is what they see parents and friends do. You never know what someone else is gonna do .

18. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

ok so since neither the safe driving classes or the safe sex classes are working...

how about we get rid of the program that sends the county bimbos to college for free to finish their high school classes and start building college credits and put the money into more extensive safe driving programs and information. We could save a lot more kids that way.

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I so totally agree!! Most of my 'close encounters' have been w/ adults, not teens. But its everywhere, not just JoCo. Everyone's in such a hurry!! :banghead: