Karate

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by julie0109, May 18, 2010.

1. julie0109

julie0109 Member

Is there a karate place in the 40/42 area? I am looking for somewhere close for my son. Thanks

2. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

Shameless Plug: :jester:
    Redfield Martial Arts
    82 Technology Dr.behind food lion, across from Fit For Life www.redtangsoodo.com

3. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

it's not all that shameless.

I checked out Redfield MA several years ago when I first moved to Johnston County from Raleigh. The few classes I took showed me a good group of guys and a good teacher. Sadly, once things got settled down, I realized the between the longer commute for my husband to get home from his job in Raleigh, the length of the drive from my house to the dojang, and the time of classes at Redfield's dojang didn't really work for us.

I really didn't check out the other facilities in the 40/42 area (to be honest, I don't think there were that many there back then).

Anyway, I digress. If you have to stay in the 40/42 area, Redfields seemed good to me. My kids are now a little older and grandma has come to live with us so I actually train over at Parker's in Smithfield which for me is a lot closer and the later adult class means my husband can usually attend.

Anyway, good luck in your search for a place for your son.

4. redtangsoo

Glad to hear you were able to keep training:hurray:

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

This is a timely thread, as I am considering some sort of self-defense for Thing One who is turning six this summer. I am looking into Parker's, due to their proximity and the Bai Kai looks like something she might enjoy. But I would like to hear more about redtangsoo's facility as well, see if it will be worth the drive.

Can you tell me more redtangsoo?

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  6. redtangsoo

Hi, website is www.redtangsoodo.com the Association website is www.tsdmgk.com I offer 5 lessons free, and a special for the first month of 35.00 including the uniform. I teach a core curriculum of Tang Soo Do, which is a very effective Korean striking art, striking arts include punching and open hand strikes, elbows, blocks, traps, kicking, knees also Joint locks.
    Because of my varied martial arts background, My curriculum also includes Hapkido/Judo techniques, more of the nastier joint locks, and pain compliance( more for the adult class) sweeping, unbalancing, throws, and some grappling techniques.This gives a well rounded martial artist. We develop the students mental,physical health, stress self discipline, and self respect as well as respect for others. Students must bring report cards to class for me to see, and they recieve a acheivement patch if they do well, if they slip and do poorly on a report card I will have them remove the patch till they improve. Parents have reported to me how much improvement they see in their child at home and in school. 4-6 year olds learn most of what I teach the 7-12 yr olds but with more work on following direction, coordination - balance drills, Feel free to stop in and watch a class, the schedules is current on the website.

Bernard Redfield -Sabom:mrgreen:

7. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

I can vouch for Redfield Martial Arts. It has done wonders for my son. He earned his academic achievement badge, then lost it due to a bad report card. I talked with his teachers and between all of us he got it back. He has learned respect for all and for himself, he has also been more confident which has done wonders for his attitude and self esteem. Before I selected RMA I checked around and found RMA to be the best place.

8. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

wow, this is awesome. Glad I came by this. I've actually been thinking about doing martial arts lately. I'm just too shy to do anything about it yet. :oops:

9. Jenna's Mom

Hey Irish,

Martial Arts is a lot of fun. I go to Parker's in Smithfield and am in the adult class. The students are very friendly and despite me being badly out of shape and overweight, I've never felt like I don't belong. The warmups are rough and you'll wonder why at first you're putting yourself through this, but if you can survive the first 15 minutes, the rest of the class is a lot of fun.

Sifu Dano works well with every student. One thing I saw him doing yesterday at my 4 year old's class is tweak the technique so he could still participate and try. They were doing flying side kicks and there were only 2 kids in yesterday's class. The other boy had been there longer and could get most of the mechanics down where my son is slightly autistic with some developmental delays, sifu had him jump over the blocker, take his fighting stance and then kick.

If you'd like more information about Parker's let me know.

10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I've been training with Parker's in Clayton for almost a year and my son has been there for over a year. I've been very happy with them. SiJo is great with the kids. The Little Warriors program is great for them to learn the basics and life skills as well. The adult classes have multiple ranks in the class that are very willing to help you and to make you feel comfortable regardless of your skill level.

Anyways.. they train Chuan Shu, Tai Chi, Wushu, MMA (Smithfield only), XMA (Clayton only), Shuai Jiao (Grappling - Clayton only), San Shou, Shaolin, Escrima, and a bunch of other fun stuff.

Here's the website: http://www.baikaikungfu.com

11. irishluck

Actually, before I even saw this thread I had been debating if i should try out redfield or parker's (or anyone at all at this time). I've been doing yoga on my Wii and I have a tai chi dvd and watch some youtube vids of applications from time to time (yes, I'm aware this is not at all like the "real" experience with an instructor) and i wanted something that was a little more like a workout.

Is there one type of martial arts that would give me a good work out but be a little less strenuous? I'm just so busy at the moment, I don't want to feel completely drained or rushed to fit it in my schedule. I think I may actually just wait until Jan, after I graduate.

i guess the things holding me back right now are finding the time and I'm a bit shy about "performing" in front of others something i really have no clue about. lol

12. Jenna's Mom

I know Sifu Dano in Smithfield says to listen to your body. For example, we'll be doing jumping jacks and several variations off of that basic movement, but after a while my knees will start killing me. Instead of jumping, I'll start running in place while doing the exercise. As long as you're moving, he doesn't seem to mind.

I'm very uncomfortable with breakfalls. I've broken my collarbones more times than I care to count (gee, perhaps that's why I of all people need to learn to breakfall!) but anyway, there is a lingering fear of screwing up and breaking something again for the umpteenth time (cause they have never healed right, I actually need surgery to fix them, but financially it is something I can't do). Anyway, he lets me skip those in class. However, the other week when it was just him, a senior belt that is trying to get leadership hours by assisting in class so he will qualify for his black belt, and myself that's what we did for about 30 minutes and while I still need practice, I'm a more comfortable with them (though a bit clumsy and awkward).

The hard part physically at Parkers is the first 15 minutes or so for warm ups and it seems like he's worse when there is a new student in the class, once you've been there a while it seems like it gets easier. The first time I brought my husband in with me, as we were doing warmups, he threatened to kill me for dragging him into it. He now loves it probably more than I do! In Smithfield we have 2 adult classes, the beginner's class I am in has been great. I think that's how it got easier, when we started, it was one class for adults but when they split into two classes the beginners got a small break.

My husband has tendinitis in his legs from the marine corps and having horribly flat feet. He used to come home at night feeling miserable, but since working out at Parker's he has more energy and less pain. The class actually leaves us both feeling a little charged, not tired.

After the warm ups, the most strenuous thing we may do, is stance training unless its traditional week when we do a lot of bag or buddy work. We basically have a 4 week cycle. Week 1 is Traditional (technique), week 2 is forms, week 3 is self defense, and week 4 is a review. Parker's does a system based pretty heavily off of Chinese Kung Fu styles but its not uncommon for us to spend a little time moving through some Tai Chi and Chi Kung stuff in class.

I don't know what the class makeup is like in Clayton, but in Smithfield both Adults classes are pretty small, which is nice because Sifu can devote time to helping each and every student perfect their skill. In my class, we have on average 5 regular students, the senior student assistant, and Sifu.

13. redtangsoo

I'm not about to get into a debate on who is better, who does what etc, except that any quality instructor will do what jenna's mom mentioned, if they don't, stear clear. I would suggest trying both out and others till you find a place where you are comfortable. I offer 5 lessons free of charge, just for that reason. I don't want anyone to pay for something they don't want to do.If you are free thurs mornings at 10, that adult class is very small two or three at most.
    Jenna's mom and Loki are happy at Parkers, just as many are happy with Redfield Martial Arts. I'm sure we both do everything we can to help you. As long as you are getting quality instruction and you are comfortable with your surroundings and the other students, that is what matters. Good luck in your search.:hurray:

Bernard Redfield-Sabom
    Owner Redfield Martial Arts
    www.redtangsoodo.com
    TSDMGK Region 3 Representative
    www.tsdmgk.com

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. Try both places and see where you find your best fit.

15. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Be careful. Some of these old hens will cry and complain if you push your own business. Just an FYI.

16. Jenna's Mom

Fine then, I'll say it,

If you're looking for MA instruction, check out as many as you can before settling on one. I remember meeting Mr. Redfield and his students and I can say, they're a good group of folks. I felt warmly welcomed when I visited his studio and enjoyed the lessons he gave. Sadly, the logistics of other responsibilities made it a challenge for me to pursue his school. However, I'm pretty sure I'd been happy with Tang Soo Do as a style under Redfield's instruction. There are a few administrative things that I actually prefer that Redfield's offers. However, yes, I'm very happy at Parker's as well.

Every art is different, I know Judo and Jujitsu are not for me. However, they're still good arts. Pick one that works for you and compliments your strengths. Try out several. There are a few schools in the area. Get there early, ask students and parents of students questions. Watch how the instructor interacts with the students in the class. Do you feel comfortable with what you are being taught? Yeah, you'll probably feel it the next day if you're not in shape, but that is a good thing. Do you feel welcomed into the family of students, or do you feel like an outsider and out of place?

I'm glad this conversation has gone as well as it has. Those interested have had input from students and instructors from a variety of styles but in the end the message is the same. There is nothing to be afraid of or shy about. Finding a Martial Arts school can be like finding a church, you look for one that you feel welcomed in and comfortable with. The students you train with, will quickly become extended family. Try out several places to find the best fit for you. When I started on my path of martial arts, I felt a little nervous about it. However, I found it a fun way to get into shape and rewarding with friendships that will last me for many years to come.

I wish you luck Irish, and anyone else looking into starting into a new hobby (or continuing in one if you've been out for a while like I was).

17. irishluck

Thanks guys for all the insightful information! :) I think I'll start looking around pretty soon when I get some other things out of the way.

18. irishluck

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I'm not available at 10AM. Is there another time that's good for beginners?

19. redtangsoo

8pm mon, closed memorial day
    7pm wed
    11am sat all level:jester:

20. Jenna's Mom

If Parkers in Smithfield is possible for ya, Mon and Wed at 8 PM is the adult beginner's class. I dunno about the Clayton Studio schedule.