Running track In Johnston County

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by paulaclk, May 19, 2010.

1. paulaclk

paulaclk Guest

Is there anywhere in the local area Clayton/Garner/Smithfield where my 2nd grader can run track? This can be year round or over the summer, I have looked but as yet cannot find anywhere?8)

2. Polkadots

Polkadots Well-Known Member

Not aware of any such thing for someone that young. Track doesn't begin here until 7th grade and they are trying to cut that out of the budget as we speak.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I think West Johnston High School has both an indoor and outdoor track. Look at their website and then give them a call about your son doing what you are thinking. I've seen others, who don't go to school at WJHS or anywhere, running on the track.

Sherry

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

do you mean for him to be on a track team or does he just want a track to run around?
    The new rec center in clayton has an indoor walking/running track. the smithfield aquatic and rec ceneter has one too.

i know of someone who coaches a track club in raleigh. its for kids. i could get his contact info for you if you like. he is a personal trainer that comes to the office i where i work few times a week.

db's wife

5. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Clayton Community Park on Amelia Church Rd. which is very close to the new community center has a paved outdoor walking track that goes around the pond and athletic fields.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I am just surprised there is a second grader that wants to run, just for the sake of running.

I hate running.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Same here!! I used to jog with my dad way back when, but now.............I don't run unless something is chasing me or bodily injury to the child is involved. :jester:

8. Sherry A.

I got the impression from the OP that the boy wanted to run and do it on a real track. I did not know about our new rec center having an indoor one. That's awesome.

Sherry

9. Sherry A.

I ran twice for the sake of exercise. Once in San Francisco a group of friends talked me into signing up to run the Bay to Breakers and it broke me from doing it for many years. Showed up to two practices, I think, and realized I had better things to do with my life than run for the sake of running.

Second time was after we moved here. Two neighbors talked me into running around our neighborhood and I made it two blocks, an accomplishment for someone like me who believes in JUNK FOOD.

My daughter on the other hand loves to exercise and has been doing it her whole life. More power to her......I like air conditioning and heat. :lol: I can see nature from my deck or when I do decide to go hiking.

Sherry

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Yea but starting June 1 they are charging a membership fee. Even to use the track. Its a minimal fee if you live in the Clayton city limits. Its like $150 for an annual membership for non residents and then if you take classes you get to pay resident rates. Just not worth it to me. I wouldnt get my moneys worth out of using it I dont think. Too bad. I was really looking forward to this place opening and having my son spend a lot of time there. We spent so much time at our rec center when we were young. Optimist Club in Raleigh. Maybe I'll have a change of heart. Or they will start offering more stuff for kids. ORRRRRR in 10 years when they finally have a pool!!!!!

DBs wife

11. Sherry A.

I understand your frustration. I think that frustration would be well used in front of the Clayton Town Council. :lol::lol: And I really agree with what you are saying.

Sherry