What is your favorite party/potluck food?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, May 20, 2010.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I have a "thing" to go to next Saturday. Potluck, Mexican food themed. It was awesome last year. :cheers: We are supposed to bring our favorite dish (doesn't have to be Mexican food) and I am drawing a blank on what to bring. I could do our almost famous wings, but don't think I'm gonna have 4 hours free to fix 'em. What do you like to bring to such things? :allears: I'm about to go digging through my 4000 cookbooks too. :mrgreen:

2. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I have so many things I like to make... I love party food! But, the other day I was in Big Lots and saw a 'Betty Crocker Party Food' cookbook. I decided not to buy it, but, as I was flipping through a recipe caught my eye that I want to try; I'm doing a luau for my kids at the end of school. I think it would go great for a mexican theme as well. It's "Grilled BBQ Pork Bites"...yum.

Here is the link to the recipe but you may have to become a member (free) to view it. The site had a lot of good ideas!

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/grilled-barbecue-pork-bites/8f88760b-d30f-47f6-8a3c-fee46e7607dc

3. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Cheezy Meaty Dip in a crock pot and a couple of bags of Tostitos chips! Everybody loves cheezy meaty dip!

4. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I was thinking that...it is so quick and easy!

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Used to be tequila / Mescal (with the worm for protein)

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

OMG, I remember those days. Ate that darn worm one time and never did it again. How funny. :mrgreen:

Sherry

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

kdc,

I think the crock pot dip thingy sounds good or I throw a nachos thing together on something like this.

I buy a few bags of dip nachos, brown some hamburger meat, put the nachos all over a baking pan, throw the hamburger meat on top, put loads of shredded cheese on top and stick in the over until the cheese has melted. Take it out throw some shredded lettuce, sour cream and whatever is left in fridge (just joking on that one) on top. Cover and run out the door or if kids and/or adults are at our house put it on the bar for grazing.

Have fun,
    Sherry

8. MizSeeker

MizSeeker Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  9. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

There is a SUPER yummy and easy dip that I always make for those types of parties :) You need a jar of Harry and Davids Pepper and Onion Relish ( I always use 2 ) and then a package of cream cheese ( again I use 2 if I use 2 of the relish) mix them up, chill in fridge overnight and you are ready to go! Serve with Frito Scoops!! Its YUMMY!!! Its kinda sweet and kinda spicey! VERY good and easy! You can get the relish at the outlets :) its usually on sale :)

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I make the easiest best taco dip ever....

meat, cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning, tortilla chips....takes about 30 minutes start to finish. let me know if you want the step-by-step.

11. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I like cherry tomatoes stuffed with bacon, chives and a just a lil bit of cream cheese.

Home made jalepeno poppers

12. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Guacamole is easy....

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

OK, ya'll are making me hungry this morning!!! Thank you for all the suggestions!

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

14. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I do, I do! :lol:

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

No.... *I* make the best taco dip ever!!! :lol:

one block cream cheese, one can refried beans, one small jar salsa, two C shredded cheddar cheese. Bake @ 350 until cheese is melted.

Soften cream cheese, spread in bottom of smaller baking dish (like 8 x 11), then add others in layers. Fiesta!

It just occured to me, for party finger food you could make these individually by using flour tortillas, cut in triangles with pizza cutter, then do the layers on your "chips" that you made, and adjust the bake time. Top with a black olive. If you could get them folded over and stay, deep fry and have Mexican Rangoon!

16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I do too!!

17. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Jimmy Dean Sausage Dip

1 lb of sausage (any flavor, I like hot)
    1 block of cream cheese
    1 can of Rotel tomatoes (drained...any flavor)

Cook and drain sausage.
    Mix in cream cheese and Rotel tomatoes. Heat until hot. Crockpot works great.

Serve with scoopers.

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I think Jen made that once, it was delicious! I love cream cheese.

19. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

There are 2 dips that we make and everyone seems to like

1-1/2 bars of cream cheese (softened)
    2 cans Hormel Chili w/ no beans
    FritoLay Scoops

Put in a crock pot and let it all melt together, when done serve with the FritoLay Scoops. I've also cooked it on the stove to speed up the process when in a hurry, and then just used the crock pot to keep it hot.

1 lg. block Velveeta w/mexican stuff in it
    1 can Rotel (as spicy as you like it)
    1 lb pork sausage (spicy if you like it hot)

Melt Velveeta in the microwave
    loosely drain the can of Rotel (leave a little juice in it)
    cook the sausage and drain the grease off

Mix together and put in a crockpot to keep hot. Or, you could put the cheese & rotel in the crockpot to melt together, add the cooked pork sausage. Serve with tortilla chips or scoops.

20. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Chili Cheese Tartlets

2 packages of wonton wrappers
    1 -16oz jar of chunky salsa
    1 package of shredded mexican cheese
    1 small can of green chilis
    1 block of pepperjack cheese (shredded)
    1 package of hot sausage

brown sausage and drain well. then add cheese's, chilis and salsa and mix together until cheese has melted

take a small spoonful and place in middle of wonton, wet the corners of wrapper with a little water and pinch together... bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (depending on oven) until golden brown!