Angry About Clayton High School Year Book

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., May 15, 2010.

1. snapper

snapper Well-Known Member

The school should take it up with the publisher and have them corrected and reprinted.

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

it's not the publisher/printer's job to correct mistakes (unless specified as part of the service), they just print what you give them....

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

When our CHS Year Book (in the dark ages) was developed it was the Senior Class Year Book (we called it our Annual) Staff that was responsible for the content, proof reading and editing mistakes including spelling errors, etc. The adviser was responsible for making sure deadlines were met, etc. And we did not have electronic spell checkers at that time. Our Senior Class selected our Annual Staff. So if anything went wrong it would have been our Annual Staff's responsibility.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Thank you for clearing that up. I know it happened that way in the dark ages but gives me an understanding. I was hoping that you would comment because I knew I'd learn something about the workings.

Sherry

5. YOU TELL EM SHERRY TELL THEM TO QUIT BEING SLACK AND DO IT RIGHT :hurray::hurray:

6. gooberama

gooberama Guest

I reviewed the year book and thought it was put together fairly well, especially in comparison to mine from 20+ years ago in pre desktop publishing days.

As for the content, I am not privy to the down to the detail that you appear to be regarding the happenings in the school. With that being said i might be perturbed if my full page ad/tribute was incorrect. However a refund of the book, ad and recall and reprint of the book seems overly extreme.

My son seemed pleased with the book and really that is the bottom line.

7. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was in charge of a schools yearbook for the past few years. It seems like her final deadline was some time in January! That explained to me why yearbooks dont have a good part of the school year represented. I always wondered why that was.

DB's wife

8. bout2bmarried

bout2bmarried Active Member

Dang get over it. They did not force you to buy it

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Get over what? Buying a $300 page and having it riddled with errors? :confused:

I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if it was your $300.

10. Sherry A.

Even if the yearbook staff had a cutoff of January for major things, which seems strange to me because the year book has items from Spring in it, Mr. S. was on Jeopardy in the Fall. Pretty awesome to me.

Sherry

11. Sherry A.

No, they did not force me to buy anything but I'll tell you when I buy a soda I expect it to fizz and be fresh, they did not force me to buy the soda either. How about you on the soda reference?

I paid a lot of money, in my opinion, for the end product to be exactly as I had specified and it was not. You bettcha' I want a refund. Maybe the cost I paid was not much to you but even had I paid $40.00 it should have been correct.

Get over it...........when my mother was alive she would pull her year books out to show my daughter her pictures and her friends. She was proud of her years in high school and would talk about what/where/when things happened to my daughter and to me as I grew up. She was the Head Cheerleader, Prom Queen, etc. and she would tell us how the floats were made and stuff like that. It was a history and a personal lesson that we relished in and so did my mother. The items they made to make floats back when mother went to high school were well thought out in regard to the supporting the war effort. Did you know that?

How does an educational facility produce a product like this? To me, it is important and reflects on how our children are taught. It is certainly a bad reflection on any educational facility when the end product is full of misspellings and such.

Sherry

12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Clayton High is Not a school of Excellence is it? Maybe they need a teacher shake up. And maybe the teacher on Jeopardy specified he didn't want to be in the yearbook. But regardless, I would ask for a full refund since the page you ordered was not what you requested. That would tick me off. I had to do that when my DD was Who's Who. They screwed that up bad and I got a full refund from Who's Who.

13. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

Back when I was in HS (in the middle ages 10 years ago, my daughter is only in the 2nd grade), Yearbook was a CLASS that students got graded in if they took that class. I don't know exactly how the grading in the elective class was, but I can imagine if too many errors like this one apparently had, it would have been a bad grade.

Anyway, sadly, with the budget crises and everything, I'm not sure what can be done. If the school sent the publisher shotty work, its not the publisher's fault for printing what the school ordered (unless they had something in the contract for editing work). So, who is going to pay for it all? The school most likely. What will they sacrifice to foot the bill? Teachers and programs. Who suffers? Our kids.

As angry as we may be about this, is yelling for money the right thing? No, however, yelling for better planning and oversight of this student lead project should be happening. Yearbooks are fun to go back and look at in the future, I enjoy looking and laughing at the beehive hairdos and glasses of my mom from when she graduated WAY back in the day. What makes that yearbook even more awesome, is that it's K-12 so yeah, lots of styles in that book.

14. cmdknw06

cmdknw06 Well-Known Member

I was involved in CHS's yearbook all 4 years when I was in high school a few years ago, and there are different deadlines for each section of the book. I would ask to see the proof page you had to sign off on. If you signed off on it and it was incorrect, not much you can complain about. If it is indeed incorrect, I would suggest asking for a partial refund.

Keep in mind, many times, the advisor is NOT getting paid for their efforts and the students are staying after until all hours trying to make a deadline. My senior year, we had a section on style and tattoos...some of the parents didn't like it, but the students did!

15. Sherry A.

I asked for both on your statement in bold. I don't think that asking for a refund was in any way wrong.

Sherry

16. Jenna's Mom

Sherry,

No offense, but it depends on the scope. If it is only your ad that was not satisfactory, then as long as you have a copy of what was supposed to be the final page then YES, you should have that refund.

However, the problem sounds to be in a much larger scope. What if there are more than a handful of ads that are messed up because of students and faculty oversight and neglect? What if your 400 dollar request is multiplied by 30 parents and that reaches the 12,000 dollar mark? I'm not sure how big Clayton High School is, but 30 affected people may even be a drop in the bucket, there could be more that would qualify for a refund. If the school system has to shell out the money to make you happy it will have to shell it out to all the parents in your position. It could cost teachers their jobs (perhaps the faculty looking over the yearbook could go) or our kids the things they need for some of their programs. What I'm saying is the schools are in a budget crisis as it is, cuts are already happening wherever they can happen. Tacking on another bill they have to pay out is not in the best interest of ALL of our children.

And to clarify what you requested, this is from your first post.

"He wanted to know what would cause my daughter and me to be happy about it. I told him a full refund on my advertisement to my daughter (300.00) the cost of the book (100.00), reprinting of all year books and redistribution after proofing done by outside adults. He did not think that was affordable and I asked him what is affordable to those who want to remember the good times by looking at the year book years later."

When I was in High School, the ads were sold as a way to reduce the cost of the book. To make it more affordable for the students to buy. So, the cost of every ad in that book and the cost of the individual books should come close to covering the cost of the books to be reprinted. Perhaps that puts the cost into perspective for you. Then again, I could be wrong about how the money is used at Clayton High School, I grew up in rural Harnett County.

If you still have all the full quotes you wanted in the book, why not type them up on your computer, perhaps make it like a scrapbook page and put with the ad in your book. Then your grandkids could see what all you wanted it to say.

17. Sherry A.

Take your political stuff to the right area or those nuts may be crammed in a place not so comfortable. :mrgreen::jester::mrgreen:

Sherry

18. Sherry A.

Let me think about what you have posted as today is pretty slammed for me. Will respond when I have time and after I think about it.

Thanks so much for your response.

Sherry

19. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I think she should get some sort of refund IF the proof she signed was correct and the ad came out differently. $300 is a lot of money to spend on an ad and then it not be correct.

20. Jenna's Mom

I agree, 300 is a lot of money. I'm a stay at home mom because I have to provide care for my disabled daughter. We are not a single income family by choice and our finances are tight. 300 dollars for me is a car payment, a months worth of gas, a good chunk of my grocery budget, so don't think that I feel 300 is nothing to be upset over. If it is just one refund that needs to be done, then fine. However, it sounded like the problem may be larger than just 1 ad. 300 for the school system may be a drop in the bucket, but it quickly goes up if there are more problem ads out there. I would much rather be with a grumpy group of parents all out 300 dollars cause of a crappy ad, than a larger grumpy group of parents ticked off that they've cut my kids programs, or my kids teachers aides, or whatever they would do to try to make up the lost money.

Anyway, I had an idea, perhaps the ads could be reprinted (correctly) in next years book and that book be sent to all those who had reprinted ads. Even if the student has graduated, I know I wouldn't mind checking out what all my friends were doing the following year.