What kind of refrigerator...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, May 22, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

do you have or would you buy now?
    Thanks!

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

One that keeps things cold! :jester:

We have a Kelvinator that hasn't given us one bit of trouble in over 20 years.

3. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

Icebox

I bought a 27.5 cu. ft. SAMSUNG, (bottom freezer w/ ice and water in the door) at Lowe's 15 months ago. Works fine and has enough room but I'd never buy another again. The ice maker doesn't make enough for 2 people and it will wake you up at night. The ejected ice cubes bang against plastic of the holding container.

It's so loud that it stops conversations when we entertain guests.

4. AnnetteL

Almost sounds like a 'Terminator' :mrgreen:
    We've had our Whirlpool for 18 years but the freezer is on it's way out...

5. AnnetteL

I've been looking at this one online
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_315513-149-...+Refrigerators_4294857966 5001091_4294937087_

it has a icemaker but I don't use one anyway,how do you like the fridge itself? I don't think I would want it in stainless steel though,too many fingerprints!

6. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

We have a Kitchenaid ...workin' good so far. 14 years. But the next one won't have the fridge freezer side by side. I think I want the next one to have the freezer in the bottom.

7. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

We have a Maytag Performa stainless front side-by-side. We've had it for 5 years; bought it at Lowe's for about half price because of a dent in the door. We have had it repaired once; it just stopped cooling, some kind of pump maybe? Anyway, we were referred by Maytag to a repair man out of Fayetteville. Came to the house, looked at it and ended up loading and taking the fridge to his shop. Delivered it back in just a few days and all we paid for was the initial service call. Of course, it was under warranty at that time.
    Also, about six months before that, my in-laws bought a GE Profile. Looks just like ours but I think a little smaller or at least it seems like it; the freezer has hardly any room. Seems like they have had a couple of problems with theirs...maybe with the ice-maker and recently, something with the temperature panel.

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Maytag!!!!!

Washer & Dryer have lasted (knock on wood) for 13 years.

Fridge has lasted for about the same time.

LOVE Maytag.

Mom & dad bought some cheap *** GE CRAP and regretted it ever since.

PS: GE supplies terrorist organizations. :boxing:

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I have a Maytag bottom freezer, and I like it a lot. I used to have a huge side by side with water and ice in the door, and I like it so much I wanted one just like it only smaller when we moved here. I had a hard time finding one small enough to fit the space I have here, and after I did I realized the reason for it - a side by side that size has such a narrow freezer, it's like a tunnel. Not very useful. I got rid of that one and got the bottom freezer, which I like much better. I think I'm going to have a side by side in the new house, though, it has a wider space for the fridge than I have here.

Anyway, I've had the Maytag with bottom freezer for at least 5 years, no problems at all. The freezer is a pullout drawer, easy to use, and the icemaker is pretty quiet. It's staying with the house, though.

10. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

11. AnnetteL

Thanks!

12. AnnetteL

Is it the 25 cubic foot one?

13. AnnetteL

Our current fridge doesn't have a smooth exterior surface,it has sort of a nooks and cranny surface instead where the dirt just loves to get into,not good!

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

15. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I have the GE - 25 CF side by side one. Major POS. It was recalled about 2 years ago for door problems. They came out and installed new doors. Jerks sent one door that was 1" thicker than the other and wanted me to accept that??

I just want a fridge that has an ice maker/dispenser that doesn't go bad 30 minutes after the warranty expires!!! And, I would like to know who the idiot GE engineer is who designs the use of carbon steel fasteners & actuators in a freezer??

16. AnnetteL

17. AnnetteL

Thanks for all the replies!

18. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I special ordered my side by side Frigidaire from Lowe's 5 years ago and love it. I had a smaller space to work with also. And I have top bottom refridgerator in the garage for the bigger stuff that the side by side can't hold in the house because of the narrowness. But Love them both. Fridge outside is a Haier and have that for 8 years!

19. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

I would NEVER buy another Samsung. Ours lasted 8 months before the coils froze and cracked the casing, making it unrepairable. It only took TWO YEARS before Samsung refunded our money. (VERY LONG story with a lot of being put on hold and then mysteriously being disconnected by Samsung...15 times one afternoon alone!) Turns out that is a common problem with Samsung, but they have never recalled the product.

20. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

I would wait until June if I could, the Federal stimulus is coming back, if you buy a energy efficient appliance they will give you a rebate. GOOD LUCK!!:hurray: