Sulfur allergy

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sassymom, May 26, 2010.

1. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

someone told me (can't remember who) that if you had a sulfur allergy that you should stay away from splenda.. does anyone know if this is true?? I have looked online but can't seem to find anything on it, or is there other foods that I should avoid. This is a new allergy for me so just trying to get some information!

thanks

2. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I think you may mean "sulfa" allergy. I googled really quickly and found on one of the hits (though it's not Splenda, it is about a sweetener:

Acesulfame potassium, also known as acesulfame K, potassium acesulfame, ace K, and ACK and marketed as Sunett®, is the latest artificial sweetener to be approved by Health Canada. While it has been deemed safe by the European Union’s Scientific Committee for Food, many individuals and organizations disagree.

According to CSPI, who spoke out against the inadequate and poor-quality testing of this sweetener, a byproduct of acesulfame potassium has been shown to negatively affect the thyroid in animals when taken in large doses. Despite peer-reviewed studies and wide consensus among the scientific community, CSPI is also concerned that the cancer-causing potential of this sweetener may not be fully understood due to the lack of long-term, up-to-date, adequate testing.

At the very least, this sweetener should be avoided by people who are on a potassium-restricted diet or who have sulfa-antibiotic-based allergies.

I'll have to do more research as my son is allergic to sulfa-based meds - I did not know this.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Good grief girl, you fallin' apart?

4. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

yep!! feels that way sometimes haha

5. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I learn all sorts of things on this site ... I'm allergic to Sulfa based antibiotics ... but I've never had any issues with artificial sweetners ... that I knew of. I'll have to read more ... who knew?? Thanks for the info :)

6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I have a sulfa allergy too and I used to be a Splenda addict...no problems from using it! :mrgreen: