Clayton vs Smithfield Library--books on CD question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, May 24, 2010.

1. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Strange question I'm sure, but does anyone know which library has a better selection of the books on CD? I thought the ones at the Clayton library seemed a bit outdated..does the Smithfield one have a more current selection?

Since we are on this topic, I could really use some suggestions for some good books on CD too.

Shopaholic and baby is what I'm currently listening too, very good! I like any genre, fiction, thriller, horror, etc.

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Ask HughT. His wife goes to the Clayton library a lot. She will know the answer, I think.

Sherry

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I don't know but the Clayton library can get books from Smithfield for you...I don't see why they couldn't do the same with audio books... You might can use the online catalog as well to save you a trip and to see where it's at. Log in to your account by using the barcode on the back of your library card and your "password" is the last 4 digits of your phone number. You can also renew items by doing this without stepping foot inside the library. Per the brochure. www.pljcs.org Click on catalog and search til your hearts content. I use it quite often (without logging in) to search for books.

4. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! I have been reserving just regular books online. I didnt see any option for the audio books, which is why I was asking. Just wondering if I had to drive to Smithfield or not. :)
    No biggie!

thanks again!

5. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

How many does a library have to have to play this game?

The Cleveland Library would have more audio books, but we are fairly busy returning the ones stolen from Wake and left on our doorstep and then chasing the ones stolen from our collection.

From our web site at: http://4042needs.org/library/ - Oops. You got the whole Home Page text. Audio books and Interlibrary info at the bottom. You can get the NCLIVE from home.

Welcome to North Carolina's Largest Private Library!

Watch our web site development this year. If you get trapped in a loop or stuck at a dead end, simply use your back button or start over at the Home Page. Have fun. Send comments on how you like or dislike the new pages. This is part of the learning experience we promised our patrons and our belief in keeping everything public.

Cleveland Library, a private library, is a free to the public library that operates as an educational program of Basic Needs Ministry (BNM) a 501(c)(3) non-profit - public charity. With more than 80,000 items, Cleveland Library has North Carolina's largest private book and movie collection and is second in Johnston County to the Smithfield Public Library. It is the only one directly serving subdivision residents, while sited in an unincorporated area.

From 2003-2008, BNM gave books to North Carolina's public schools, jails, and prisons, each serving a restricted population. Starting in 2008, the public computer lab and all books in inventory were transferred to the Cleveland Library and began circulating on an honor system. The library allowed Partnership for Children of Johnston County (PCJC) full access to its excess books, which are being placed in pediatricians' offices to encourage children and parents to read while waiting. PCJC's report about the low reading skills of children and adults in Johnston County, the 1.7 county ratio of books per person, the lack of a permanent collection of books in a 5-mile circle with 40,000 residents, and the eight schools located between the library on N.C. 42 and those near 210 to the south make a permanent libary collection near the I-40 and N.C. 42 intersection a basic need. When the library started its 10-year 80,000-book acquisition program, it also expanded its program to provide new books to budget strained school and public libraries. The program started with Wake and Johnston counties and spread when State Employees Association of North Carolina (SEANC) delegates agreed to deliver Cleveland's excess new books from their convention in Greensboro to add to their home libraries.

A volunteer put bar code 80,000 on a new book on Saturday, May 15, 2010, just 1 year 9 months and 5 days after starting the 10-year project. The photo shows a volunteer dwarfed by one week's additions to the collection; cases of new books from Scholastic for the children's library and many from Durham County Library for the adults' library.

All staff and space requirements mentioned on this page are for current needs to handle the 80,000 book and movie collection, with the intention of moving from 100% full shelves to the usual library space standards. The second ten-year acquisition goal was to increase the collection to 120,000 books, which was scheduled to start in 2018 and run to 2028. When that goal is reached, the library should already have added shelving, seating, service areas, and floor space to accomodate the 50% increase in assets.

Children's Library
    By May 2010, the children's library had 14,000 books and Alison LeSueur, graduate from UNC-CH, volunteering as the librarian and chief organizer. Cases of new books were arriving from Scholastic and other sources. Shelf and spine labels were printed and placed to help define the traditional age bands of Easy Read, Juveniles, and Young Adult. A Wal-Mart grant allowed the library to purchase library cards giving 2,000 children access to the world of books and computers. Four donations of $65 would permit volunteers to build four bookcases, permitting the library to add another 2,800 children's books. A $200 donation would cover the cost of upgrading the lighting for reading levels in the children's room. Story time has been delayed while volunteers work out space and temperature challenges. An airconditioned and heated space with carpeting would be helpful. Considering the potential for major population growth, the children's library collection should grow to 40,000 books and the floor space should increase to 3,000 sq. ft. This would permit a work station for librarians, computer stations for the public, and space for reading and story time.

Paperbacks
    During the two-year survey period, many residents asked for a larger paperback collection than libraries they used in the past. Some wanted books that had low costs, so they could read in the bath and not worry about high replacement fees. Others wanted small lightweight books for travel and vacation reading. Cleveland listened and displays more than 7,000 paperbacks, sorted into fiction, science fiction, western, mystery, non-fiction, romance, and inspirational. The paperback collection is using 100% of its alloted shelf space, with thousands of titles waiting for an expansion. The library has enough paperbacks to fill another 14 bookcases, but lacks the space. 200 sq. ft. would help.

Audio Visual
    The Library's decision to provide free loans was extended to the audio visual materials. Once the collection of VHS tapes, DVDs, CDs, and audio books grew into the thousands, the library staff was notified it had a larger collection than three of North Carolina's publicly funded county collections. Library Kik step stools are used throughout the library to help patrons reach the top shelves. The library has enough audio and visual materials to fill another 6 bookcases, but lacks the space. 200 sq. ft. would help.

Adult Non-Fiction
    Adult non-fiction sorting and Dewey Decimal Classification has been started. Besides the books placed correctly in their categories, over a thousand books are just placed on the shelves so residents can check them out, while work progresses. Four additional bookcases are planned and 30 feet more linear feet of shelving. It has been taking a three-person team three hours to get shelf information, labels, and 102 books on the shelves in the correct library location. 2,000 sq. ft. and a lot more bookcases would help us display the non-fiction books.

Adult Fiction
    Adult fiction genre sorting, labeling, and placement was started months ago, but the delayed modification of the display area is keeping patrons from 9-12,000 books. The estimated cost to finish this area is $5-7,000. The volunteers need a carpenter's advice on how to frame in a door. 3,000 sq. ft. additional floor space and many more bookcases would help display the fiction colelction.

Computer Lab
    Cleveland Library offered the first free public access computers, Internet access, and 24/7 Wi-Fi in the area. This private library is banned from the deeply discounted public libray E-rate for DSL, but still runs 12 computers. The Pentium 4 machines use Microsoft XP Pro for an operating system and have Office Pro 2007 for a common and popular word processor, spread sheet, database, and presentation software. Patrons have been using both the indoor computer tables and the outdoor chess tables for their computer work space. The library needs to add 14 computers and another 1,000 sq. ft.

Audio Books
    Cleveland Library's computer lab offers its patrons 1,300 audio books made available through NC LIVE, North Carolina’s statewide online library, with a Library Services and Technology Act grant from the State Library of North Carolina. They are compatible with most iPods and MP3 devices. The entire collection focuses primarily on language learning audio books, classic literature, history, and biography. Patrons can download and instantly listen to titles, such as Julia Child’s My Life in France, Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre, and Stephen King’s Shawshank Redemption, or they can try to learn a new language, such as Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. A library card number and password must be obtained from a North Carolina member of NC LIVE.

Interlibrary loan
    Despite having such a large collection, the staff realized it could be years before the organization caught up to the collection. The work load demands many volunteers. This may mean the books are on the property, but boxed in storage. Likewise the early surveys of patrons showed that all duplicate titles should be stored until the library expands, permitting more titles to be displayed. The patrons preferred to wait until volunteers could locate the stored title or until the book could be brought from another library. Staff is prepared to assist patrons in obtaining their books via interlibrary loan.

33,000 books, movies, records, and clothing items only $1 May 29 from 9-6. We have to try and pay the June 1 rent.

6. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

33,000 books, movies, records, and clothing items only $1 May 29 from 9-6. We have to try and pay the June 1 rent.

Bargain hunters take note!

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Wake Co. library system now has downloadable audiobooks :) It's worth the $25 yearly out of county fee to access the resouces Wake Co. libraries have!

http://www.wakegov.com/libraries/about/overdrive.htm

8. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

KDS, is this in Clayton?

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

It's at 40/42, behind Bojangles. There should be a big sign at the entrance to the parking lot, just drive around behind the buildings.

10. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Thanks! I appreciate it.

11. Holly Wood

Holly Wood Well-Known Member

If you can get your hands on a copy of Kathryn Stockett's "The Help", I'd highly recommend it. Three different readers cover the main parts, and they do a wonderful job of capturing the characters' personalities.

12. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Audio books are available for download via NC Live at all NC libraries

Yes, that includes Cleveland. Just hop on a computer or Wi-Fi, use your NC Live ID, available from any county or state library (not our private library), and have fun.