Want NC driver license? Speak, read & write English!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mnredsky, May 27, 2010.

1. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Now let's see if the state legislators have the cojones to pass it.

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Even better would be a way to get people without drivers licenses off the road.

4. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I believe any extra accomodations should be at the expense of the individual seeking the license ... not the expense of the taxpayers. If the state is running so low on money that we are having to let go of needed individuals in the school system ... then we definately don't have spare money laying around to pay for drivers license translators.

5. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I know this should be in the political section ... but I'm just posting an article I saw on 1270wmpm that I dfound interesting:

NC Lawmaker Introduces Version Of Arizona Immigration LawNorth Carolina, the home state of Americans For Legal Immigration PAC's (ALIPAC) President William Gheen, has joined several other states that are following Arizona's lead of cracking down on illegal immigration with state laws.

North Carolina now becomes the 18th state that ALIPAC has documented moving forward with a version of Arizona's controversial, yet popular immigration law. Numerous scientific and certified polls indicate 60-81% public support for local police enforcing immigration law as the Arizona bill does. NC's Senate Joint Resolution (SJ 1349), filed by NC State Senator Don East (R-Surry), and would allow a version of Arizona's immigration bill (SB 1070) to be filed during the short session of the NC Legislature this year. This resolution has 12 sponsors.

ALIPAC's North Carolina supporters are being asked to call and write their state legislators in support of Senator East's bill, which is a version of Arizona's immigration enforcement law for NC. Special efforts are requested to ask the chairman of the Senate Rules Committee, David Hoyle (D-Gaston), 919-733-5734 to request the bill be scheduled for consideration in committee.

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I heard that on the way to work this morning.... I have to say I "rejoiced" a bit at the prospect....

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

9. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I think they should allow citizens to snith on the illegals.....

When a buddy of mine and I worked at Volvo....We have Immigration hats we wore from CLayton to Greensboro. It was fun. A lot of paranoid painters...​

10. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Way back when I took my drivers license test and my english wasn't that great I just had the english version,which was fine with me,I don't see why there have to be any versions in spanish etc.if I had to learn to speak the language of my adopted country why can't anyone else as well? You won't see any drivers license tests in Germany being done by turkish translators either.

11. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info post Mnredsky.

"If you speak Chinese or Russian and can't read our signs and can't speak English, it's an absolute safety issue, and I think that needs to be addressed," Brubaker said. "People getting driver's licenses in North Carolina should be able to speak English."

Yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!!! This would be a bill to stand up for. Writing my emails to the crooks, ooooops ...... 'politicians', today.

12. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

13. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

What's to stop them from driving without a license? We need a lot more random checkpoints set up. People driving without a license is one of my pet peeves.

14. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

They are easy to spot. By Profiling....I get behind mexicans all the time in RTP. They drive the speed linit to a "T". Not over or under. They constantly check mirrors..Now you know. These usually are driving illegally.

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray:

Git R Done!!!

16. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

More people will be getting busted in Arizona I can bet. It's not scientific, but when my ex-husband ticketed people for driving without a license about 90% were hispanic and may or may not have been illegal (hence, in Arizona they would bust the no license and the illegal immigration in one shot). But you can't pull people over just for being hispanic so I agree that the checkpoints would be a good idea. Now if that were to happen here in Raleigh and they asked for immigration status as well - once they established their was no license - would you have a problem with that?

17. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

And 9 times out of 10 you would probably be right, but it's illegal to pull them over without cause so they better hope their registration, tail lights etc. are all up to date as well! 8)

18. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I heard that the state is getting ready to raise the income limit on how much a person has to make to qualify for food stamps. Happy, happy, joy, joy. Now we get to pay for MORE people to sit on their butts and collect food stamps while we work our tails off.

And I still have not received my state tax refund . . . :banghead:

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I 'think' its a recorded translation and they just listen to it - not that the DMV places provide individual translators. I say this because on the news clip they showed someone looking at the test w/ headphones on.

20. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

are you kidding me!!! there must've been a problem w/ your return?