Want NC driver license? Speak, read & write English!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mnredsky, May 27, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Btw-when I took my drivers test,everytime the officer would say take a left I would go right and every time she said go right I go left,I guess she must have figured that it's a German thing and let pass anyway...

2. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

:iagree: racial profiling is WRONG no matter what race you are. Hope they don't target my family!!

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

No, I think if a person is stopped with probable cause and charged with a violation of the law, asking about immigration status is fair game, and reporting to ICE as appropriate.

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:iagree::iagree: only makes sense to make sure they are not breaking any more laws.

5. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Your family will only be in trouble if they are breaking the law like anyone else. Otherwise, nothing to worry about.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I agree with this 1000 times over. :hurray::hurray::hurray:

7. turtlepits

Yeah, OK.......that's what you're saying now................we'll just have to see how it works if it gets passed. We've experienced the profiling before, I can imagine what will happen if our law enforcements are allowed to profile.

8. This is great news. I thought once the first state showed some balls re: immigration then others would follow suit.

The overwhelming majority of American citizens do NOT want illegals here despite what our politicians say on TV.

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

That's easy to say, but it remains true only so long as profiling is not used. It would be an easy trap to fall into, and I respect law enforcement for guarding against it.

10. VolleyGrl

Then by all means take the officer's name and report them. You did that, right? I mean if you're not doing anything wrong and there is nothing you can be ticketed or arrested for or no reason at all for them to be talking to you ...it's only because the color of your skin.... they should be reported. Now if you were doing something wrong, well you'll have to explain how it was profiling and not just doing their job to his superior officer and the judge.

11. VolleyGrl

What's easy is to just not break the law. People don't seem to grasp that. I don't see anything changing from how it's always been done other than now it will be procedure to inquire about immigration status if there is probable cause after a person has been lawfully detained for something else. They obviously don't ask about that now. It's more work for the officers. I'm sure they're thrilled and going to be on the lookout for as much extra work as they can find. :lol:

12. Not saying it's happened with your situation, but a lot of those that scream profiling were profiled because they were doing something wrong and/or suspicious. Often times this gets lost in the race baiting banter.

13. turtlepits

A friend of mine, my husband (boyfriend at the time) and myself were standing in my yard. Cop rode by eyeballing us like we had already did something. We hang out a little, get in her car, she's driving, I'm in front and he's in the back seat. We leave and the cop was sitting in a curve and as soon as we rounded the curve on comes the blue light. She was not speeding and we were all in seat belts. She pulls over,cop walks to the window and ask for her license and my husbands who was in the back seat. Then the cop ask my husband what his address was. Husband says its on his ID and the cop starts yelling at him asking what is address was. Husband tells him his address and then the officer ask why he is with us. That's when I say he's my boyfriend. Then the cop ask for my ID and I tell him I didn't have mine.....(which I did) besides I wasn't driving so he didn't need it. So my friend ask the cop why she was pulled and his answer was a suspicious vehicle. OK! Suspicious my butt! So my friend starts fussing at the cop saying he only pulled her cause there was a Mexican in the car. Officer says he can pull over whomever he wants for what ever he wants. Threatens to take my friend to jail if she doesn't calm down. He walks back to his car, I guess to run their ID then comes back hands it back to them and told us to have a good day! My friend filed a complaint and we never heard anything about it.

If that wasn't racial profiling I'll kiss your butt!

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Like obeying the speed limit to the "T" which would leave me, Hispanics (documented and undocumented) and a few others actually obeying that law.

15. VolleyGrl

I have no idea whether this situation was profiling. If you're telling me that there was NO reason in the world why you should have been pulled over then perhaps he was just trying to cause you the annoyance of stopping you (because he didn't arrest you or ticket you or anything so it must have just been to annoy you because you are Mexican). I'm just saying that 99 times out of 100 there is a lawful reason and law enforcement shouldnt' be villified. I posted this in another thread .

16. VolleyGrl

Then change the law. Otherwise, if you're illegal you best drive to the "T" That's the consequences of trying to get around ANOTHER law. 8)

17. turtlepits

An annoyance......LOL Believe me it WAS profiling!!

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You missed the point! Now even if you are documented, because of the color of your skin, you now are set up for harrasment that others are not subject too. If you are going to do this the only way I see it being fair is everyone is pulled for doing 1 mile above the capability of the instrument set at the speed limit, or stop points for all.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  19. Not sure how that applies to my quote but I agree with you in this case.

20. What if there was an APB out on a guy looking like your boyfriend who was last seen with someone matching your description?