Grandmother and child killed during police chase

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, May 27, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

2. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

How is it the fault of the deceased? When a cop car is going over 120. And doesn't even bother to slow during an intersection, I say it's his fault. It's very possible she didn't see him coming since he was coming so fast. And even so, I would feel better if emergency vehicles would at least slow down a little bit through intersections. It's not like they can't catch up in those chargers.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I think that is a real reach there.

Is it also the 11 year old's fault?

4. AnnetteL

Good one!

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Umm...........have any of you read the news reports? From what has been reported SO FAR, the deceased pulled out despite the cruiser having his blue lights on. Was it worth it? Absolutely NOT. However, from what has been reported to date, the trooper was not breaking any laws or rules that are CURRENTLY on the books.

6. AnnetteL

My thoughts exactly!
    Witnesses also stated that they did not hear a siren.

7. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

She had a green light. Witnesses did not hear sirens. She probably didn't see him until it was too late.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I got that part too. Doesn't change a thing though, the trooper is not necessarily the "bad" guy here. It's horribly unfortunate, but I see no point in Monday morning quarterbacking this unless someone is going to change the laws.

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

My point is, there is no need to blame the victim right off the bat. There is an investigation that I think they said will take 6 weeks to complete, let's withhold judgment until then.

10. The deceased pull out in front of the cop. He had his lights on according to the article.

11. Was the 11 year old driving?

12. She was turning left...so she had a green light but didn't have the right of way.

Read the article people.

13. If the victim violated traffic laws which she allegedly did, and the officer had his lights on which he allegedly did.....then it is an open and shut case.

Hate it for those involved but as soon as people start blaming cops for chasing speeders, we might as well take down speed limit signs. Would that make the roads safer?

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I don't think "blame" needs to be placed anywhere at this point.

15. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure law enforcement is told to stop pursuit in the case that the chase is endangering public bystanders. If a cop is going 120 on a road that has signalized intersections, he ****ed up.

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You indicated it was, at least in part, her fault she died.

17. Valid point but only if it was a busy street. Going 120 down a highway is different than doing so down Main St. Keep in mind the officer is just as likely to be killed in an accident so one would think (hope) he would have a feel for the risk.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  18. I think you are smart enough to realize I was referring to the deceased driver.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Your post was irrational, I don't know you personally so how am I to know how irrational you are?