Want NC driver license? Speak, read & write English!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mnredsky, May 27, 2010.

1. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Hahahaha! That's funny. Yeah, I'm sure that was the case. That's why he asked him why he was with us?? Try to justify it however you want. I was there. We were profiled. I'm afraid it's not the first or going to be the last time it's going to happen. What's even funnier is my husband was born in Raleigh and doesn't even speak Spanish!

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

TP, you and I are convinced. Others never will be.
    As for requiring the ability to read, write, and speak English, many of the posts on this board would serve as disqualifiers.

3. I didn't say it was the case. I asked what if........if there had been, then it would have been perfectly acceptable despite it getting under your skin.

By the way, I'm not suggesting profiling doesn't exist. I am, however, suggesting not every situation, such as yours, is a case of racial profiling.

4. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

:iagree: And if you really believe it keep pursuing it until something gets addressed. Things won't change if people just complain about it, but don't take action to try and have the ones who they accuse of profiling be reprimanded it's never going to stop. If your friend never heard back she should have kept calling. It obviously bothered her enough to file a complaint. Watch the complaints in Arizona sky rocket now when most cases are not even going to be close to profiling. It's not a great situation for either side, but that's how it goes sometimes when you don't have any other options.

5. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

And you are missing the point that no matter who you are if you knowingly decide to speed and are pulled over for it you have to suffer the consequences. It doesn't matter the color of your skin. If you don't want to ever be pulled over then don't speed. Otherwise, you take the risk no matter the color of your skin. And life isn't fair Hught. What other things should we start chaning so that it's "fair" for everyone? Does that sound cold hearted, sure. But nobody is going out of their way to ensure that things are fair for me so I'm going to be a tiny bit selfish.

6. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

What about banks? They allow accounts without verification.

7. ServerSnapper

Name 3 people who drive the speedlimit on the dot. I can't name one.

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

When my son got his learner's permit, he sat at a computer with headphones on. That doesn't mean that spanish to english translators are not utilized in a Driver's License Office in some other capacity.

When my son got his learner's permit (and I got my license renewed) there is also a sign test, which is 12 blank signs in a viewer and you have to identify them. Steep grade, stop, caution, etc. I think these could be figured out regardless of language, that is the idea - when you are driving you immediately recognize the shape/color of a sign.

There *are* legal immigrants (not citizens) that do not speak english. Just sayin'.

tp..... If you had half the attitude then that you have now and were uncooperative/difficult with a police officer who may have had a report of somebody suspicious in your area matching your description, or maybe it just wasn't the best neighborhood, or maybe they were just doing a public service and your brown angst took over - he/she is justified in asking all the questions and for everybody's ID. I bet now that you have children and own a home, you would be grateful for police presence in your neighborhood.

9. ServerSnapper

TP I am sorry your friends and yourself had a traumatic experience. I still say I would rather **** you and your friends off than having some illegals mooching off our Social Security system. They are felons. PROFILE PROFILE PROFILE and if you walk around and have a towel on your head. Profile those bastads too. Hell....Be paranoid!

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

you said "towel on your head"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

11. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Really? I think most banks require a SS# and a credit check.

12. KDsGrandma

That's the point. Virtually everybody is in technical violation of the law at some time, and LEOs can't stop all of them, so which ones will the pick? The most dangerous violations, or the most Hispanic looking drivers? It's hard to believe some profiling won't take place.

13. Cleopatra

Hmm, now that's a place I never see non-english-speaking folks, my local credit union. They are usually in line at the Western Union/check cashing counter of the grocery store. At the checkout they pay with cash or EBT.

14. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Not totally disagreeing, I'm just curious. So if you believe in profiling in police actions, do you think profiling for raiding employers businesses should be used also? Or does the line stop at rocking the illegal labor practices boat?

15. Cleopatra

The ones I know are protecting the public and choosing the ones that are the most dangerous, the speeders and the drunks - regardless of race. It doesn't make any sense to round up illegals for minor infractions, while ignoring somebody blonde and blue eyed who is speeding, swerving, etc.

16. KDsGrandma

I think that's true of most of them, I'm just saying the potential is there and should be guarded against.

17. I'm sure every lawyer in NC will be keeping a watchful eye out for profiling cases. LEOs will have to walk a tightrope to be sure.

18. ServerSnapper

I'm sorry but when you see a ford pinto with 30 people in it.....That's where I would start.

19. ServerSnapper

Just buy one of these t-shirts....

[​IMG]

20. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Would you have preffered raghead?

:jester: