best tree for privacy?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pbarefoot, May 28, 2010.

1. pbarefoot

pbarefoot Well-Known Member

Hello:

I'm considering planting some trees for privacy. I'm considering Emerald Green Arborvitae, Leland Cypress, Thuja Green Giant.

I would like pros/cons of each. How fast will they grow? To what height? How much water will they need? Where can I get them for a reasonable cost? Does anyone know someone who I can pay to plant them for me? We just don't have the time or desire to plant them ourselves.

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We planted the native Wax Myrtle. We tilled up both sides of our back yard and decided to go with these as they are native, stay green year round, need little attention, grow at least as high as a two story house and grow fast.

Because they have no color I decided to plant honeysuckle on one side and jasmine on the other side. This allowed us to have loads of hummingbirds and get some color during the year.

They work great for privacy and low maintenance. Our backyard is an oasis unto itself and my neighbors enjoy them as well.

Good luck,
    Sherry

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

^That is the exact place we bought all of our wax myrtles.

Sherry

5. AnnetteL

Both Thuja's ( the Green Giant and the Emerald Green) will grow up to 5' per year,the Leland will grow fast as well but maybe not quite 5' per year.

There's also Swift Creek Nursery on Cleveland Rd.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Red Wood, gets really big, takes a while though!

7. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Leyland Cypress. Fast growing!

8. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Leyland Cypress do grow fast especially if you use Miracle Grow on them but be careful because there is some kind of disease they get that will kill a whole row of them in no time...it turns their tips brown first and you have to catch it very quickly and either take out the diseased tree before it spreads or try to cut off all of the diseased parts (nearly impossible)...I don't know what it is but it devastated our neighbors whole row.

9. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

We got some 5-6 foot hollies at Broadwells for $60 each. These give instant privacy. They can handle the heat and are green all year. Some are probably a good 7+ feet a year later. Broadwells also sells them in about 4 foot size for $40.

We have some cypress we planted 9 years ago. Some are 6-7 feet (were 2-3 when we planted them). Some are still only about 4 feet. I think they may not be getting quite as much sunlight ... although they are in the same area.

We bought a Thuja about 3 years ago. We "temporarily" planted it in our garden area...still trying to figure out where to plant it. It was maybe 1-2 feet then. It is now only about 3-4 feet. It's starting to pick up in width but I expect it would be many more years before it would provide privacy.

10. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

We have some Leyland cypress trees and they have grown like crazy, but you have to watch for bag worms, they will wipe out the tree with disease. If you are just looking for something to create a privacy border around your yard, get some ligustrium (sp?). It is a shrubbery, but it is thick, grows fast and will get 8-10 ft tall in no time. It is evergreen, drought tolerant, disease and bug resistant. They have the varigated and solid green varieties. We have both and they are very hardy bushes. We got ours at Broadwells-love that place!!

11. AnnetteL

We've got a ligustrum too,they also flower which is a bonus.

12. pbarefoot

pbarefoot Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. Anyone else out there with thoughts on this? I'm leaning toward the Thuja Green Giant but still not sure. Any idea how much they cost (I know it depends on size)

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I like Holly Trees/Bushes & Leland Cypress
    The holly trees we had at the front of the house, we shaped like Christmas Trees, they are pretty low maintenance.
    Also yellowbell bushes grow FAST, multiply like rabbits BUT are sticks in the winter months.

Good Luck!

14. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I saw a boatload of Lyland Cypress trees being unloaded off a truck today at the Habitat Restore on Raleigh Blvd in Raleigh today.

THEY ARE SELLING THEM FOR $5 EACH!!!!!!

DB's wife