Sour odor in kitchen

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, May 30, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Sometimes I can smell this sour(?) odor in the kitchen,I've convinced myself that it seems to come from the ac vent,we checked under the house but couldn't find or smell anything suspicious.Could it be coming from the duct work?

2. AnnetteL

3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

try the screen/filter thingy in the bottom of your dishwasher. chunks o food that won't go through can get awful stanky...

4. AnnetteL

You might not believe this but I never use the dishwasher,always wash my dishes by hand.
    Never the less,thanks for the tip!

5. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Hey Annette,

Do you have a gas stove? I thought for sure something had died in my kitchen. I searched and searched for days! it turned out my dog had knocked one of the knobs, which turned one of the burners on just enough to release gas. [Their treats are (were!) next to the stove, so they'd put their front paws up on the counter or stove while I got them treats.]

A friend suggested it might be gas and it's a good thing I doublechecked it. This was in the winter when the house was locked up tight, so we were pretty lucky!

So if your stove is gas, please doublecheck that the knobs are all turned to OFF.

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Sour sounds like dairy. Spilled milk under the fridge?

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Do you have a studor vent under your sink. Sometimes those things can reek. Oh and as to your question about your hvac vents, yes, they can smell too if something has gotten into them. Check under your house to make sure that stray cats or something haven't torn them down. Also, if something has gottne spilled down one, then obviously that can make them smell. There are companies that can clean your ductwork as well as products that can be sprayed in them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
  8. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

yea is it a "sour" smell or more of a musky stale smell? i smell this sometimes when the air conditioning season comes around. This "dirty sock syndrome" sounds like it could be what it is in our home.
    I would NEVER go under my house. I would definitely have to hire someone! my neighbor told me the previous owners of my home found a water moccosin (sp) under the house! its way too creepy looking under there for me!!!!
    keep us posted on what you find out.

DB's wife

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  9. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

I know its the obvious question, but have you checked under your sink for a leak? We had one that was leaking toward the back of the cabinet and you could not see it when you opened the doors. It got had gotten a little stinky under there by the time we pulled everything out and found it.

10. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Rotten potatoes or onions in the closet?

11. AnnetteL

Thanks for the tip! I don't have a gas stove though.
    What a scary thought about the gas being on all this time but I know that dogs will do just about anything to get to their treats ;)!

12. AnnetteL

13. AnnetteL

Thanks,will have to look into it,I hope it's not too expensive to have the ducts cleaned.
    I will have to ask DH about the studor vent.

14. AnnetteL

It's sour and comes mostly from the vents in the kitchen while ac is on but not always :?
    I didn't go all the way under the house but just stuck my head in to sniff around ;) I've also seen black widow spiders in there before.

15. AnnetteL

Thanks for the tip,will have to check...

16. AnnetteL

None,but this happened once before with potatoes :ack:

17. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Check under the oven? A wet potato chip can put out a nasty smell!