Please ask your children what they've done

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hatteras6, May 27, 2010.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Well mine is a senior this year and they watched movies, as well, during the first part of one week. She has to go into school everyday for third block because it is a JCC class and they operate under different rules than the regular school.

Something really does need to be done about what happens during these weeks.

Sherry

2. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

My Cleveland Middle Schooler was on the computer most of the day she told me. Nice. BTW, are kids have no computer access at home so this really irks me to no end. These were just wondering the web sites. NO school meaning to do w/ them at all. More cartoons for the elementary kids. Some played games as well. And mine go to Westview. Kindergarten, 3rd, 3rd, and 4th grade. My kids have had no homework all week. Not a one. This focus on EOG garbage is ridiculous. that is all they focus on... the test. Some of mine passed some did not. Istill think the first time they take it shows more accurate picture of what they've learned all year. Not the 2nd time around when they've crammed hours of remediation down them and tried to get them to memorize everything. Can you tell I'm not a fan of the whole EOG thing? And don't even get me started on the NC Extend. Vent over. Thanks.

Stephanie--mom to 7

3. Crysta

Crysta Guest

My second grader has had school as usual, with homework and tests, all week. Her teacher sent home a flyer listing the activies through the end of the school year that aren't academic, and explaining that they will be watching one movie next week, and it actually is related to what they've been learning this week, so I don't have a problem with it. I guess every teacher is different, and 2nd graders are probably easier to control anyway.

4. kidsfly

kidsfly Well-Known Member

I guess I stand alone in thinking 2 weeks of doing fun things (or less structured instruction) is not that big a deal. Children can continue to learn things from movies, games, etc., and frankly after seeing how the EOG testing works, I feel they deserve to have a little fun... enjoy school.. maybe have something to look forward to for a change instead of the stress of studying and preparing for those standardized tests. I hate the EOGs. I understand they are necessary. However, I've also seen adults struggle with staying focused, quiet and sit still for a 2 hour exam. Yet, I witnessed very young children arrive at school, and not SAY A WORD for almost FOUR hours. They were given a couple 3 minute "stretch" breaks where they were allowed to stand up (STILL SILENT) and that's it. Maybe I'm old, but I really hated it for them. Students who finished the test early could do nothing but scribble on scrap paper. (Some children had to sit there for over 45 minutes). Even after the exam finished (you could see the excitement in their faces as they silently watched the second hand count down) they had to REMAIN quiet as other students in other classrooms could have still been test-taking and any student not finished in another room needed silence.

I truly felt bad for these kids. I learned being a proctor felt more like a prison guard and I'm probably not cut out for it. School wasn't like that when I was growing up. Kindergarten was like pre-school, homework didn't start until first grade. Again, I realize times have changed, but I can't help but wonder if the demands we place on our children in this day and age could be structured differently.

I want my kids to be happy, smart, well-rounded individuals. Even if it means they spend a few short weeks of "goofin' off" at school.

Life is too short. Let them be kids and chill a little.

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

My son worked hard this year and I'm sure the faculty did, too. They've completed their school work and the EOGs, let them relax a week or two, play and socialize. Children need down time just like adults. It also helps the teachers and faculty wind down and begin clearing out their classrooms for the summer.

6. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Necessary ... really :?: I disagree.

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

If you feel your kids deserve a break, fine. Why do our taxes for education have to pay for your kids entertainment?

If the school year is 180 days, as mandated, why do we pretend that the school systems will utilize that time and other precious resources to do anything else.

My point was, if the schools have pretty much gone to an easy schedule, non testable content, final grades for many turned in...then the taxpayers are funding a daycare...albeit at school.

If one argues that the decline in educational status is a concern (I think most of us agree this is a valid one), then it behooves the schools to utilize the time and resources as effectively as possible, and not "power down" for the last two weeks that kids are required to attend.

I cringe at the thought of how much this "power down" two week period is costing us...transportation twice a day, cafeteria, utilities, salaries...the figure has to be a considerable one. And if the school system can afford to squander it, they need to remember this the next time they even mention floating a bond.

It's about ROI..and for my taxes, the ROI for the last 2 weeks is nil.

8. garnet

garnet Well-Known Member

Students who finished the test early could do nothing but scribble on scrap paper. (Some children had to sit there for over 45 minutes).

In my 6th grade year during the *CAT* time of testing taking, we weren't even allowed to scribble on paper. I had to sit there and do nothing. I was one of the students that excelled at the CAT so I was finished MUCH quicker than the rest and had to sit there basically twiddling my thumbs. I thought I'd be able to read a book so I brought some of my favorites. Imagine my surprise when I was told to leave my bag at the back of the class and only bring 2 pencils with me to my desk.

So I thought, "Well at least I'll get to nap." So I put my head down and got reprimanded for that! I still feel that was the worst time ever and feel horrible for other students that go through the same thing. I felt even worse for students that took longer than the allotted time and couldn't finish their test because they were slow test takers.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

So basically some of you are happy your kid had to go to school on a Sat and lost time off at Easter so they can sit and watch movies now? OK.........................

10. kidsfly

Let me clarify. I believe there needs to be some type of testing procedure or way to measure student learning. There's got to be a better way than it boiling down to one stressful test.

11. kidsfly

Lol. That's one to think of it. My children actually enjoyed going to school that Saturday. : ) And again, movies can be educational. They can foster conversations, real-life learning experiences. Having fun, socializing, playing games, etc. can all be part of learning experience that doesn't need to be so test, homework, and work, work, work, focused.

Again, this is just my opinion. I learn better and remember better when I am having fun.

I don't see having a little down-time or learning in a more relaxed setting as a "waste of taxpayers money" but to each their own. : (

12. kidsfly

In my 6th grade year during the *CAT* time of testing taking, we weren't even allowed to scribble on paper. I had to sit there and do nothing. I was one of the students that excelled at the CAT so I was finished MUCH quicker than the rest and had to sit there basically twiddling my thumbs. I thought I'd be able to read a book so I brought some of my favorites. Imagine my surprise when I was told to leave my bag at the back of the class and only bring 2 pencils with me to my desk.

So I thought, "Well at least I'll get to nap." So I put my head down and got reprimanded for that! I still feel that was the worst time ever and feel horrible for other students that go through the same thing. I felt even worse for students that took longer than the allotted time and couldn't finish their test because they were slow test takers.[/quote]

Sigh. Stories like this bum me out.

13. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

very good indication of what they have learned this year.

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I would certainly hope that most schools overly prepare their students for the EOG tests. My son closed out second grade learning division, yet the math part of the EOGs only had a few multiplication problems. They were also doing some pretty heavy substraction, as well. Furthermore, his teacher prepared him all year with reading comprehension tests with a story they had to read the night before testing and without the story in front of them during their weekly test. From what I understood, they had the luxury of having the story in front of them during EOG testing to review.

The EOGs shouldn't be hard for the student if the teacher has successfully prepared them for it. That is why I'm in favor of giving them a week or so to just kick back and relax some. It's their reward.

15. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

i would also submit that ending the year with some fun goes a long way towards developing a positive attitude about school in general. if they're having fun when they leave, they'll look forward to going back...at least mine does.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

A few days of goofing off is one thing, this is going on for more than 2 weeks. I just think it's a waste of time. He can goof off at home just as well. Just my .02. I'm no slave driver by any means, I just think it's silly for them to be sitting in class for no reason. He's got scout stuff he could be doing instead. :cheers:

17. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

My son has had no homework. but he is doing projects in school for some of his classes. He has watched movies for two day only. I am not objecting to the down time because the work time is balancing it out. He is learning most days and two of the days he is having down time.

18. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I didn't send mine to school on that Saturday or easter for that matter, I felt they should have used teachers work days.

19. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I agree, my daughter is still doing work, just at school..no homework is being sent home..she did great this year, again I feel she earned this last two weeks of easy work. So now when she comes home she is positive and happy and gets to work on her Girl scout stuff, which right now is a lot due to working on awards for that. Not everyone is going to agree, but it's just how I feel..seems I'm not the only one.

20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Pretesting and remediation is the biggest waste of time and money. If the kid fails the EOG, the kid should have to go to summer school and not make all the other children suffer for his/her failure. If he/she fails it the second time, repeat the same grade. I understand there are some kids that have "difficulties" learning, but having my kid sit there in silence for 4+ hours while they get to take the test again for the 3rd time is beyond insane.

Let me clarify "difficulties" before I get flamed. I understand that many children have learning difficulties (ie, dyslexia), and I'm not addressing those as many of those are psychological and/or physical and do require additional help. I'm refering to the parents that don't supplement their child's education at home. My taxes pay for my child to have around 15-20 minutes of direct personal time a day w/ a teacher, but when the teacher has to spend 40+ minutes because one child can't remember what a circle is causes my child's education to suffer.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010