Need ideas for fly remedies

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Jun 1, 2010.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

We're planning a big outdoor party for DD's graduation and I was wondering if anyone has any clever ideas on how to keep the flies away. I've researched it online and the best thing I can find so far is to hang bags of water with pennies in them. Supposedly this messes with the fly's eyesight and they retreat.

Anybody else got any ideas?

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Not sure about the pennies, but I've heard the bag thing works. I'd suppose the bags need to hang though. I don't know that placing them on tables will work the same.

3. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I have heard the bag thing works and I also have read that they hate basil. I am putting pots of basil on the deck and inside.

4. michelle

Does basil have a strong smell? Does it look good enough that I could put arrangements of it on the tables?

5. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I use box fans around outdoor tables....any kind of wind keeps them away.

6. michelle

Hmm, any kind of wind? :lol:

7. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I think it is very attractive and there is a ruffled purple variety that is really pretty-saw some at the produce stand across from Cleveland Elementary and at the flea market at Don Lee's. I don't think it would smell so strong as to be offensive to people at the table.

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

that will attract them! eek!

9. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

My neighbors cater and they swear by lemons.

They cut lemons and put them out all around the food.

10. michelle

That's easy and cheap to try. I'll do that!

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Close the doors and windows so they stay in the house. :lol:

12. michelle

I could hang a pair of my husband's underwear in the back yard so they would all stay back there :mrgreen:

13. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Fans and Basil. If you go to the Farmers Mkt, you will usually find bouquets of zinnias and basil mixed together. I love the way basil smells....I have some in a vase in my kitchen right now.

14. michelle

Thank you. I may head to the farmer's market this weekend. I haven't been out there in years.

Do you think strawberries and pineapples would be cheaper there than at the grocery store? The best price I've seen on pineapples is $3.99 this week at Lowe's or Food Lion (forgot which one). I need 8 pineapples for the "pineapple palm tree" that I'm making. It's gonna be so pretty!!!

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Not sure about the Farmer's market prices, but if you have a BJ's membership they're normally 3.99 all the time.

16. michelle

Yes, I do and I have to go there anyway. Thanks!

17. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

They had them for $3 at the produce stand across from Cleveland Elementary.

18. michelle

Well, thank you very much, Pickle. You just saved me some $$$. I'll head over there this weekend.

19. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

20. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

You are very welcome; hope they enough for you. They were in the cooler when I went.