Ever heard of an Illian Agnus plant?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pbarefoot, Jun 2, 2010.

1. pbarefoot

pbarefoot Well-Known Member

Well, this is sort of a continuation of a post I put out asking what the best privacy tree is. I called a landscaper and he suggested I use a plant called an Illian Agnus. I have googled this but can't find it, so this must not be the correct spelling (I asked him to spell it and this is what he gave me). Anyway, does anyone have these plants...do they grow tall and thick? Would you use them for privacy? Any negatives like disease, bugs, etc?

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

The Nursery that I used to work for sells them,they do make good hedges and are fairly disease resistant,they are med.-fast growing.
    Swift Creek Nursery on Cleveland Rd.
    I tried to google the plant name but didn't come up with anything,might have been the spelling ;)

4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

eleagnus (uglyagnus ?) - its that hedge growing where you get off I40 to go to the cary malls. disease / insect resistant !

5. pbarefoot

yes, it's an elaeagnus. I'm still considering what to do....

6. AnnetteL

7. KDsGrandma

8. AnnetteL

the Elaeagnus angustifolia ( Russian Olive)is different from the other Elaeagnus ebbingei which is not invasive.

9. KDsGrandma

Thanks for the information!

10. AnnetteL

No problem ;)
    I believe they also flower.

11. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I pass by that hedge every day on my way to work. It must flower because it smells HEAVENLY at certain times of the year!!! I noticed in a post further down it mentions that name "olive" in the name. I have a tea olive tree that i got because i was told it was one of the most frangrant trees in the world. (it is but is a very slow grower and i dont think it gets big)
    I bet it would stay full of bees. Its not the most attractive hedge but maybe the one I see is just overgrown and not taken care of well.

DB's wife

12. pbarefoot

so should I plant now or wait until the fall? I'm clearly not a garden expert, so any suggestions are helpful.

13. AnnetteL

The better time would be fall,this way the root system has a chance to establish itself.

14. KDsGrandma

You do need to keep it watered for the first year, whatever time of year you plant. It's easy to stick something in the ground in the fall and forget about it until spring, but it really does need to be watered every week that we don't get at least an inch of rain. Letting it get established in cooler weather should get it off to a better start, though.

15. AnnetteL

:iagree: than in spring sprinkle some 10-10-10 fertilizer around the base of each plant.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  16. pbarefoot

Thanks everyone. I think I will wait until the Fall to plant them. I would love to do it now but I'm afraid the heat will kill them.