Dogs nails trimmed

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by davynchristy, Jun 7, 2010.

1. davynchristy

davynchristy Well-Known Member

I read a few previous posts that recommended Country Critters, but I believe they are now closed - aren't they? Any other recommendations on where I can take my large lab to have his nails trimmed? Thanks!

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I can't say that it works in every case, but a vet assistant told me to walk our dog regularly on sidewalks and or asphalt (of course, not scorching hot) and that acted as a way to file the dog's nails. It works for us, except for two dewclaws that don't make contact with the pavement.

3. davynchristy

We try to do that on a regular basis, but I guess it's not enough. I also worry about the heat this time of year and him having to walk on the hot pavement. His nails really need to be professionaly trimmed as short as possible and even after purchasing nail trimmers, we're just too scared to do it.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Depending on the dog........I do them myself, trim them with a regular nail trimmer then use the pedipaws thing to file them smooth. Now, my dog is only 20 lbs, so this may not work if your dog doesn't want to be messed with or is large.

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Rachel - 625-4213
    She'll come to YOU!
    LOVE HER.

I think it was around $10 to get Mattie cat's nails done.

We are doing Buddy's ourselves.
    He's cool with it.

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I wish our dog was like that. Its like everytime you hold his paw to cut his nails, he's a member of the Irish Riverdance troupe.

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Is there are a service charge for her trip out?

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Molly freaked the first few times I tried the pedipaws thing, but I started giving her treats at the same time, from my hand that was holding the pedipaws so she could see it wasn't going to hurt her. I just did it over and over, letting the thing run without trying to trim, until she got used to the noise. I can't say she loves it, but it's not usually a rodeo.

9. davynchristy

kdc-My dog is 110 pounds with thick dark nails so we can't see the quick. He just doesn't dig it unless someone really knows what they're doing and does is fast!

harleygirl - I'm calling Rachel, thanks!

10. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

When we still had our dachshund I'd take her to Stage Rd.Animal Hospital,there it was $10.
    My sisters little dog trims it's own nails,she just nibbles them off,the dog not my sister ;)

11. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We took our lab to PetSmart in Garner to have his nails trimmed. He had never had it done before since when my hubby tried with the clippers he would yank his paws away and couldn't be controlled. I have to give them credit, the poor girls worked with him as best as they could but ended up only being able to do his back nails with clippers and the pedipaw and then just clip the front ones. When he was younger he ran more and they stayed trimmed but now he is not quite as active.

12. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

We walk. Doesn't do a whole lot for mine, but

<<<<<<<<<<< She's 6 years old and never had a trim. Right now it's so hot we try to get up early and get in a mile or two every day.

13. spazzmom

spazzmom Member

dog nail clipping

we take our dog to pet smart in white oak they do a great job and it's walk in or by appointment.

14. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Not that I'm aware of.

you'll LOVE her!

davynchristy, she's super awesome!

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i agree, love Rachel:hurray::hurray: She was just at my house last night, clipped all 5 birds and did their claws and totally groomed my little Phoebe and she was the whitest i have ever seen her with the cutest little bows in her hair. Had to get a picture quick cause i knew she wouldn't stay that way long:lol::lol: As for the cost i thought it was great and so convenient to have her come to us rather than packing up my zoo to take them all somewhere and i don't know why but it always seem that the groomers that come to you do a much better and detailed job than going to a shop.