Char-Grill @ White Oak

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmom, Jun 5, 2009.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

The menu says they have a hamburger steak sandwich and a Charburger.

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

This is the first one I have seen that actually has indoor seating. You still place your order as you always have and pick-up and pay as you always have. In talking to the manager a bit, any of the newer franchise locations will all be modeled like this one with the indoor seating as they are trying to target or look at outparcel locations in strip type malls such as White Oak.

3. CraigSPL

As this is their first week being open I'd expect it to be a little bit of a mad house and take longer to get the food than normal. I know the place was jammed packed when I got there at about 12:15, but I had ordered and was out the door by 12:30, which I don't feel is too bad considering my first sentance.

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I guess when we stand there and fill out the order form I don't get any further down than the Steak Jr sandwich & French Fries. Thats what DH instructed me to order the first time we went there, and thats what I've gotten ever since. Having to remember your order # sucks though if you have a crappy short term memory!!! LOL

:cheers:

5. Lawnranger

Lawnranger Well-Known Member

FYI, there's a location with indoor seating on Strickland road in Raleigh. Went to White Oak location last evening . Food was good, but was surprised that they charged extra for cheese or slaw. Could not understand when employee called my number over speaker due to her mouth being full of food. Also, watch what you are charged. The total for my order was almost double the amount that it should have been. Employee didn't appear to appreciate my pointing out that the total was incorrect and required assistance of another employee to correct it. This took quite awhile. This Char-grill is not owned by the same corporation that owns the other local Char-grills, according to employees on Hillsborough St.

6. Tweetyluvzme

Tweetyluvzme Well-Known Member

I thought it was a franchise...it's on their website.

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Like I stated, its been awhile since I eat there, but the few times I eat there it was just 'okay' for me too. I do want to give it another go just to be fair. Personally, I go for Cook-Out. Those dern burgers just do it for me...Bacon Cheddar style!

With Char-grill looking to franchise, though I'm surprised that they don't do drive-thru yet. I know they may be trying to simplify things and keep it retro, but drive-thrus are just too convenient to ignore.

8. Lawnranger

Different owners operate the locations at White Oak and in High Point, NC. The Raleigh locations are not franchised out. They're under one corporation.

9. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

It is franchised. It just has the wrong owner. We went tonight, against my better angst. Food was almost as good as the one on Hillsborough St. I got the last of the sweet tea. Told them. Few mins later another guy tried and got none and told them. Then a third and then a fourth. 4 times they were told they were out of tea. The owner came out with a bag of food, walked past the emtpy tea container, and continued over to a table and ate with friends.

Yep, right on time.

10. Lawnranger

Sorry for not making myself clear. Wilder and Aycock run the Raleigh locations. The Cary, High Point and White Oak locations are franchised. I really hope the new location at White Oak gets there act together because I wish new businesses well in this economy. I agree with Grinder, they sure have some kinks to work out.

11. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

disappointed

just got back. service was friendly enough, and quick enough. a dude who i assumed to be the owner was strutting around like BMOC aggressively mentioning 'the original on hillsborough street' and how great it was for me not to have to go all the way downtown now and the only picture on the wall inside that i saw was a picture of (guess what?) "the original on hillsborough street" which, when i stopped and looked at it for a second and a half, was pointed out to me by yet another staff member....i thought they went a little overboard. especially because of the implied connection and "sameness", because not all of us are area noobs who aren't that familiar with "the original on hillsborough street". some of us had parents who graduated from state in the 60's and were among those who put "the original on hillsborough street" on the map in the first place by bringing their children back to their college hamburger joint in the 70's...

so maybe i was cynical going in because of that, but the food was mediocre. the steak jr was thin and dry, not at all like 'the original on hillsborough street'. the buns were either overtoasted or stale, cuz they were tough and/or turned to crumbs like a saltine when i bit it. if you're gonna pimp your connection to "the original on hillsborough street" to me so overtly, you're going to have to deliver on the food end because CookOut is good, and while it may be my second fave, it's just as close. maybe next time.

i'm willing to give them a second chance, but i'm going to wait at least 60 days. maybe they'll get their act together, but if they don't the trip back to "the original on hillsborough street" will be worth the extra trouble.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  12. glorybee

glorybee Well-Known Member

And there's more............

If you want to REALLY get mad, order a grilled cheese sandwich from there.It was 1/2 of a small hamburger roll that had been sliced in half and toasted to a crisp saw blade type thing and I never once tasted or saw any cheese in the thing. DH was going there to get a burger and I told him to bring me a grilled cheese. I am a senior but NEVER have I even seen anything like that. Shame, cause we live very nearby.

13. ditch digger

ditch digger Well-Known Member

Agree with Grinder

Boya investments is bad business. Nothing would suit me better than to see that place boarded up in about a month. They do not pay their bills.

14. scbuff

scbuff Well-Known Member

Went there the other day for lunch and it was a madhouse. Very inadequate parking they have there also. I didn't think it was that long ago since I ate at a Chargrill, but was pretty surprised I had to pay 2 bucks for a stinking chili dog. I guess cookout will continue to be my favorite fastfood joint

15. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

We ate at the one in Wilson. won't be going to any of there rest. anywhere. not that great.

16. snapper

snapper Well-Known Member

So I finally went there the other day...I figured I would wait a little bit...BOOOOO!!! is all I can say. The burger was BORING!!!..I like mine all the way and it was still BORING..the meat did not have any flavor...Cookout will still be my normal stop. I will try the new snoopys when it opens..

17. CraigSPL

Like many of the reviews here about the Char-Grill burgers not being all that.....I feel the same way about Cook-Out.

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Agreed. I think a hockey puck would taste better. I REALLY don't get what the fuss is about. They do have good milkshakes, but that is all to me.

19. CraigSPL

If I liked anything other than a normal chocolate milkshake I might find the interest as well, but I can get a good chocolate milkshake tons of other places.

20. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

you should try the one on hillsborough street at least once before swearing them off completely forever.