What are these parents (and I use the term loosely) thinking?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 2not2, Jun 10, 2010.

1. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/search-planned-for-us-teen-abby-sunderland-who-was-sailing-the-world/19511638?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Fsearch-planned-for-us-teen-abby-sunderland-who-was-sailing-the-world%2F19511638

Hello? Do you really not think there is a problem with sending your 16 year old around the world ALONE? Let alone, alone in a BOAT in the middle of the ocean!

The mom says, "Could there be a tragedy?" MaryAnne Sunderland told ABC News. "Yeah, there could be. But there could be a tragedy on the way home tonight, you know, or driving with her friends in a car at 16."

So, let me see if I understand. Before something like that happens...let's just go throw her in a boat and set her sail around the world. If she doesn't come back, well at least she didn't get killed in a car accident!

I just don't get it! By the way, it is reported that the parents could be charged with child abuse...how about MURDER if this little girl dies? :evil:

2. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Yeh, I don't get this either. I have 3 teens ages 14, 15 and 17yo. NONE of them would be allowed to do this. And trust me, the 15yo is very mechanically inclined and most likely could do this. He reads engineering books and such. Anyhow, there is no way I'd allow my kids to do such a stunt. They had a thing about kids taking risks on the Today Show the other day. They had a 7yo bull fighter. Yes, bull fighter. I know people want to brag about their kids but ahem, this is carrying it a bit too far in my opinion. A child lost at sea. I was terrified when I was in my 20's caught in the middle of the eye of hurricane Fran driving down the interstate alone. Utterly alone. I can only imagine the thoughts of a 16yo in the middle of a cold ocean w/ a capsized boat. Praying they find her in time. I also think the comparison of the car accident to the sailing the ocean alone is ludicrious. You will see a teen more if they live at home. Not if they are sailing the middle of the ocean for months at a time. Just a thought of course.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Attention-whore unschoolers. :lol:

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

She has been located alive today. I still think the parents need their heads examined.

5. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

In their defense, there are some 16 year olds that are smarter and more mature than a lot of adults. This girl was probably just as prepared to do this as many adults would have been. Parents let their kids do a lot of things that could put them in danger with no criticism. These parents are only catching heat because it's out of the ordinary. The girl is alive. She clearly showed a ridiculous amount of calm and knowledge to right her boat and make repairs. I say kudos to her and more 16 year olds should get their stuff together and have goals like this.

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:iagree:

but I still wouldn't let my kid do it.
    She could have drowned, been eaten by sharks, attacked by pirates etc...

Hell I"m almost 39 and my dad STILL won't let me drive the boat. :lol:
    He thinks I'll drive the boat like I do my car. vroom vroom.... :mrgreen:

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Hey, I'm all for kids getting out there and having goals, etc. I just personally feel that a solo around the world sailing expedition is pushing it. I also disagreed with the 13 year old going to Everest. I don't want DS to spend his life on the couch, hence scouting, camping, etc. But there is a happy medium there somewhere between some adventure and risking their lives at such a young age. JMHO.

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:iagree: