Where are the Nice Non-Chain Restaurants??: 40/42 or Garner?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by GarnerHome, Jun 11, 2010.

1. GarnerHome

GarnerHome Well-Known Member

I often have visiting friends wanting to go out to eat, and I always have to take them to Raleigh if we want somewhere nice and non-chain. I'm on a mission to find one or two local place closer to home (we live in the Hwy 50/Ten-Ten area, so I can either go 40/42 or Garner).

Local places you love to eat other than the ale houses and bars. Heck, at this point, I'd take a semi-nice lunch hangout.

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Club House

From 50 (depending WHERE)
    L or R - just go towards 4042
    Pass Draft House on R
    Pass CVS on R
    .2 miles
    Left on Technology Dr (dairy queen will be on your R)
    2nd L into strip mall
    Club House will be on your L
    Thay have tables outside

NOTE: they do serve alcohol, like most places around here

The Ashley Turner Building has a new sandwich shop (it's beside Riccobene & Associates Dentist Office)

Oh, check the thread about 3 down "CDH" theres a q-pon for the Cleveland Draft House
    They have tables outside, pool tables etc...

NOTE: they serve alcohol

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I can't think of the name.....

The italian restaurant up at the Lowes Food shopping center at 50/42. We've been in there, they had great veal parm!

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

La Piazza

it is super yummy. good atmosphere too.

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

There is a nice non chain Japanese resturant at White Oak over by the theater. They have the teppanyaki tables as well as sushi.

http://www.kazenc.com/

6. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

White Oak Grill?..haha j/k..though I have heard it is good food..:)

7. CraigSPL

Still a bar type environment which they are trying to avoid......though I have heard they have some really awesome pizza.

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

They do!

9. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

LaPiazza is incredible!!! That gets my vote. Clubhouse is great for lunch.

10. KellBell

it is a total juke joint...but the food is soo good. :mrgreen:

11. CraigSPL

Your kind of place huh?

:jester:

12. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Well not really a chain but there are 2 and the original owners are in Raleigh.... But Tookie's Grill in Garner has the best chicken salad and pimento cheese. All homemade too plus philly's burgers and things like this! Not cheap but excellent food.
    I second the Club house too. Worked there before and they have really good food too.
    La Piazza was mentioned and great. Peppermill Restaurant in Fuquay (not too far) is good too.

13. KellBell

actually I do like places like that. Makes for interesting people watching :cheers:

14. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

Hmmm when we tried the Clubhouse we must have hit it on an "off" night. The food was not very good at all and we have not been back.

15. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

The Cleveland Draft House is not just a bar or alehouse atmosphere. When you go into the lobby, the sports bar is to the right, but to the left is a totally family friendly dining room. When we go there with my parents, we eat in the dining room. When hubby and I want to watch football or a hockey game we sit on the bar side. I love having that choice. My parents even take a number of people from their church there because they feel comfortable doing so. They do serve alcohol but it's not a bar environment. They have a very diverse menu so everyone can find something they like. Just wanted to mention this since their name can mistakenly give people the impression they are just a bar or alehouse.

16. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

La Piazza is great, you must definitely try it. If you want eastern style bbq, good country food, and good bbq chicken, go to Stephenson's BBQ on 50. You might also want to try Charlie's BBQ on Cleveland School road beside the old middle school.

17. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

Thank you Tassy, I've been wondering about that restaurant. I shop there
    and have hesitated about trying it.... :hurray:

18. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

White Oak Grill has some great food and last time we were there they had a 97 or 98 sanitation rating. It may look old but it was very clean. Dont forget Venero's Pizza in Clayton & Rockin' Comet Diner in Clayton - both have excellent food, clean dining area and good service.

19. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

We like Main Street Seafood in downtown Clayton. New owners!

20. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Venero's up on 70 is not a chain. I love the 'godfather' and also the eggplant parm hero.