Hammock's Beach

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Jun 11, 2010.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever been? Thinking of taking the girls for a day trip and the reviews on tripadvisor.com are raving!

Is the shelling really that great? And is it worth the walk and the ferry ride?

Thanks!

2. Curious

Curious Well-Known Member

Hammocks Beach is truly beautiful and usually uncrowded. There is a very nice bathhouse, outdoor picnic tables, etc. We did find some pretty shells but you have to go early or the good ones are gone! My kids loved the ferry ride but the walk to the actual beach is a little long....especially if you're carrying cooler, chairs, etc. I would most definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a nice, clean beach to go to.8)

3. JenniferK

I called the state park and they said the first ferry leaves at 9:30, so I was thinking if we were there at 9, we could get on and go then.

I also thought about the walk and figured we could take backpacks instead of beach bags.

4. JenniferK

You might be right, but the problem becomes how to keep a three year old occupied for an hour waiting on a ferry, lol...

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

We have had to wait 2 hours before in line for the ferry during the busy season and one year the wait was so long to go from Oak Island over to Carolina that we just ended up driving over instead.

6. JenniferK

This is a passenger ferry though, so I'm hoping it won't be too bad...

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

There is a nature center with some displays you can look at while you wait for the ferry. It is a very nice beach. I was suprised they actually have nice bath houses on Bear Island.

8. shellybear

shellybear Active Member

hammocks beach

I love hammocks beach. Love it! I lived 10 minutes away for 10 years and then had to move to Raleigh. uh.. that was a sad sad day. Sometimes I would go to just read on the ferry side. There are beautiful walkways, a nature center, clean restrooms. There was even a wedding there under the gazebo once. the local schools take field trips there. The ferry goes out to bear island. I never had to wait long because I always went in the morning. But I do know they will close the ferry when the island hits capacity. One very important thing to know is that there are bees on the short walk from the ferry drop off to the beach. But ferry drivers and life gaurds have bee sting kits. Just don't wear anything sweet smelling. I never saw anyone stung but you should know if anyone in your group has a severe allergy to bees.

9. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Sounds nice - WHERE is it?

10. shellybear

shellybear Active Member

hammocks beach

swansboro has a park called hammocks beach and you take a ten minute ferry ride out to bear island...beautiful.:hurray:

11. JenniferK

Well, we drove down on Saturday.

We got to the park at 9:15 and had no problems getting on the 9:30 ferry.

The 1/2 mile walk to the beach wasn't terrible, it just seemed long carrying a 30 pound book bag with drinks, etc and trying to convince a 3 year old that there was a light at the end of the tunnel! LOL

The beach was very nice, no trash, not too crowded. We were disappointed with the shelling, but one of the rangers actually told us that this year had not been a good one for shells.

We would go back, but probably not on a day trip. I'd like to take a tent next time and camp on the beach.