Hydrodynamics question?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ddrdan, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Any hydrodynamic guru's out there? Cant find the answer on the web.

I know it would be better to connect the tanks at the bottom and let gravity do the job. But, I can only connect them near the top.

I have two tanks with water (A & B). The starting level (Volume) (C) will be equal in both tank A and B. Tank A is open vented. Flow after the pump is in closed pressure conduits. Supply valve (D) turns the pump on and off. The pump has a demand pressure sensor and back-flow prevention.

1. When I turn on the Supply Valve (D) will the two tanks still maintain equal volumes? Will "C" drop equally?

[​IMG]

2. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

My gut feeling is 'no' because tank 'B' is pressurized to atmospheric +10 psi and tank 'A' is only open to the atmosphere.

I think if you moved the pressure pump to the outflow of tank 'B', vented tank 'B' to atmosphere and extended the inflow to tank 'B' below level 'C' you could use a siphon to balance the tank levels, although running a transfer pump and a return line between the tanks would probably be more reliable.

3. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna say yes because the difference in pressure between the tanks would result in pressure head transferred to the supply valve stem.

4. Gomer Pyle

...But if the inflow and outflow rate for tank 'B' are equal then the level in tank 'A' must drop below that in tank 'B' unless tank 'A' is being refilled at the same rate.

5. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

Technically, he asked if the water levels would change when the supply valve was opened, since he has the demand sensor, opening the valve wouldnt activate the pump.

6. Gomer Pyle

If the pressure of tank 'B' is 10psi wouldn't opening valve 'D' cause the pump to kick on? If the pump was on wouldn't tank 'B' stay at level 'C' while tank 'A' dropped?

7. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Won't tank B have to fill up to get pressure in the pipe? Or is there some other pump in d?

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Dan, why don't you just make a gravity bong? :lol:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  9. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Yea ...... but that wont take 3 pounds of pot at a time.:lol::lol:

10. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

WOW dude .... you've just been hiding behind that the redneck facade haven't you?:) Here you are discussing physics! I'm impressed!!!

I can't connect them below C. The tanks are in two separate pontoons and a flow line at the bottom would drag through the water.

The pump has a back-flow preventer so the pressure in A wont matter. The pump is merely drawing water from A. And I think you just inadvertently gave me my answer!!! Quit trying to equalize and just draw equally!!!

[​IMG]

I'm thinking the pump will draw equally from each tank now??? And when it's not pumping the line may create a closed siphon?? And my vent lines can become my fill lines, eliminating 2 openings.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  11. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Lightweight.

12. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol:

13. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Glad you guys figured it out as I thought I was going to have to come back and actually use my brain today. :lol::lol:

Sherry