Again JCS board wastes more money

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Possum1970, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Possum1970

Possum1970 Member

Check out this article from the Smithfield Herald.

Center for Gifted Students to Scale Back

Here is another example of wasted money. The county spends over a million dollars to send 446 students to a different school once a week. The crazy part is that we the taxpayers are already paying about $5000 a year to send the students to the first school. So apparently we have to spend more because the first isn't good enough. What a waste.
    I have nothing against educating gifted students, but this sounds like the worst way to do it. Since you're already paying for the teachers at the first school, couldn't you just put all of the gifted students in the same classroom to get "advanced" learning. That way you wouldn't need a second teacher to do what the first teacher could be doing. You also wouldn't need to bus them to another school.

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

3. lkauppi

lkauppi Active Member

hold up

I think I am right in my knowledge that you (schools) can not seperate kids based on intelligence. If you look at any classroom, you will see students of all levels in there. Maybe I am wrong, but I think what you are talking about is illegal in some form. I am not saying it is a bad idea, just an idea some poopie head would challenge. Schools throw money at all types of kids to 'accomodate' them, some I agree with some I don't. I personally would like to see expensive high stakes testing end...how many millions do we spend to test, retest, retest, waiver... Just saying.

4. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

JC is a lot more cost effective in overhead than Wake County and others.

5. markfnc

So, no testing just let them move on ready or not? I think the EOG or very helpful to see if you should move on.

6. Possum1970

Possum1970 Member

You can separate students based on intelligence. Many counties have a separate classroom for gifted students. Also, Johnston County has separate rooms for students at the other end of the spectrum (mentally retarded or whatever term is currently used).
    I also agree that high stakes testing is a waste of money as well.

7. Possum1970

Possum1970 Member

Even with EOGs, students are moved on. Students already take tests throughout the year and receive grades. That information should decide whether a student has mastered the material and should move on.
    A standardized test such as the EOG is better suited for assessing schools and teachers.

8. Moe

Moe Active Member

Believe the numbers?

What is sad is that the administration is completely exaggerating the cost. It absolutely DOES NOT cost a million dollars to run the AIG Center. How ridiculous. They lump in costs that have nothing to do with the Center being a separate school from the student's home or base school. The other silly part of the recent article is the part where Croom says half of the parents don't want to send their kids to the Center. Finally, the article leaves out the fact that three teacher positions were cut last year, three more for this coming school year (including music/strings), making that 46% of the faculty in two years. Tell me that they are not trying to cut the Center (which has been in existence since 1987) out completely. Glad that we can (not?) save money at the expense of the highest achievers - (don't challenge them at all or pique their interest in a subject that they may not have known they were excited about, such as science) - while money is spent on the students who need intensive remediation (who may or may not care to be in school or try to graduate.)

The administration wants the physical building that the AIG Center is located in for yet more offices - to make it an all-administrative campus. That is why this is going on.

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

The last time I checked, the base school does not offer classes such as astronomy, etc.

You're right, let's take the money away from the kids that are going above and beyond and siphen to the kids that don't even speak english, or they and their parents don't care.

10. dangerboy

if my gifted child went to a JoCo public school i'd be ****ed off if he only got to go to the AIG Center once a week! I'm curious, if the AIG Center provides what these gifted children need and deserve once a week what is done for them the rest of the days of the week at their base school?

DB's wife

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The AIG students DO receive different work in class. DS does not go to the center, but DOES get the AIG work at school. I think he missed the cutoff by 1 or 2 points to go to the center. I was told I could have him re-tested, but I didn't want to pressure him. It stressed me at the time thinking he was somehow "missing out" but we supplement his educational experiences outside of school. I asked what they do down there and have no doubt that I can more than make up for anything they do there.

12. markfnc

isnt that a good thing?

13. markfnc

my 3rd grader did not go to the center, but had seperate class time. thats also what the other AIG students do when not at the center. they also have aig certified teachers, so they try to get the aig center or in class aig students with those teachers. its a good program.

14. dangerboy

i guess im confused on how this works. if they do get AIG level work at their base school why do they have a separate AIG Center. That seems...redundant. (sp...Im not AIG...lol!)

DB's wife

15. Cleopatra

Like I said, the AIG center offers different classes and opportunities for the kids. One of the classes my son took was Astronomy, and one night we got to go and look at Constellations, Star Clusters, and planets through a high-powered telescope.

In class at the Elementary School the kids work in clusters, the same material is covered (as mandated by law) but the AIG students receive more work and at a higher level. There are multiple levels within a class. In middle school is when the kids begin to be separated by ability, you will have "regular math" and then there is algebra, geometry for example.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  16. dangerboy

Gotcha...I couldnt figure out why their base school wouldnt be providing AIG level work for their core subjects! I didnt realize they are getting what they need at their base school for core subjects and the AIG center is for more like electives or specials since electives arent offered to kids in elementary school.
    maybe thats why they call it "elementary" school! lol I wish these type of electives could be offered to all students. That would be great to get all kids excited about learning. Thats a big dream I guess with budgets the way they are and barely enough money to pay teachers. sad. I guess other kids will just have to wait for those type of electives maybe in high school. Maybe even college! I dont think I have even heard of a high school offering astronomy as an elective!
    Thats for filling me in. I think I understand a little better now,

DB's wife

17. Cleopatra

I agree DB's wife. It certainly does instill a love of learning and wanting to go above and beyond - at least it did for my son.

18. Possum1970

Possum1970 Member

Whether or not the center provides interesting classes is not the point. The point is that it is a waste of money to send students to a second school. You could have interesting classes at the home school. In fact, instead of having special AIG classes one day a week, you could have it five days a week at your home school. There are more efficient ways for the schools to use their resources. The rest of NC must agree since no other NC school system uses this model.

19. dangerboy

+1 again with the possum

20. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

To me it is damned if we do and damned if we do not.

My daughter was pinpointed as being gifted early on. I did not sign the form for her to leave school to go to the Center for different reasons. Now all should be reminded that the AIG students going to the Center have double the homework than those who do not attend.

At one point our school system experimented with different scenarios. If memory serves me right, they tried putting all of the AIG students, within the grade they were in, in classes together. Parents complained. They tried integrating both AIG and non AIG students together in classes. Certified teachers would give the AIG students different homework and such. Parents complained.

It's a difficult decision to make. The classes at the Center are not offered in the schools and they are wonderful classes.

As a parent who was moved up in school and was given different assignments while I was in school I understand how and why students who are gifted get bored easily. Because I got so bored in school I wound up doing things that would excite me that were not the things I want my daughter doing. :lol:

I am an advocate of keeping the gifted children stimulated at all times. I have no solution for the problem we are discussing and have thought about it for years. This one is tough.

Parents should also know that the North Carolina School of Science and Math is available for rising Juniors and if they keep their grades up they'll continue on as Seniors. Johnston County had a large group accepted to NCSSM last year and those kids loved it.

Sherry