Cleveland Draft House

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by andrew87, Jun 18, 2010.

1. andrew87

andrew87 Active Member

I purchased 2 Cleveland Draft House certificates from WRAL Team Buying. They were each $10 for $25 worth of food. Me and 7 other people went out to eat there last night for early Father's Day celebration. We racked up over $100 on the bill. We had 3 separate checks. Mine alone was $65. I used the 2 certificates and paid cash for the remaining balance. The other 2 checks were also paid. We were about to leave but were still chatting when some old guy comes walking over (don't even know who he is, I'm guessing the owner/manager?). He holds the 2 certificates and says "I can't take both of these". Now I could understand if I clipped multiple coupons out of the newspaper or something and was trying to use them all. But these are basically gift certificates worth $25 each. He kept arguing with me and reiterating that he "does not make any money off these". I personally do not give you-know-what what you make off them. You chose to advertise that way and put out that promotion. I am taking advantage of it as a customer. I am doing nothing wrong. If half my party was simply sitting at the next table over, they would both be processed. Seriously? What is the difference? Anyway he would not shut up so even though under the law we had paid and were done, and should have been gone, I paid him the other $25 plus tax so that he would drop it.

So I hope they are happy now that they've embarrassed me in front of my whole family, they will never see us there again. If this had not happened I would be back there spending money in the bar and he would have made that money right back. That is all.

2. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

That owner is a jerk. It's become pretty common knowledge around here. Sorry that happened to you! You are NOT alone.

3. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Would reporting it to the WRAL team you bought it from help. Maybe you could tell them about it. You know how they are able to get this done that the average Joe can"t....

At least they can warn others who want to buy the gift certificates

4. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

The owners actually alright, its his stepson, the snaggle toothed bartender, thats the D-bag.

5. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

My Husband went there one night when the girls were playing Bunco. He told me they charged him fifty cents for ice! I don't think he'll be back either. We did have an awesome time at The Clubhouse on Cinco de Mayo. I think we are probably going to hit up the Luau on Saturday. :)

6. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

Yeah, they annoyed me for the last time a few months back. We were on a very rare date night. We asked about playing pool. The waitress comes over and gives us the balls and never told us how much it cost. We were shocked when we got our total bill. Asked to speak to manager and he was a complete a-hole. Never again.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Did the certicate say only one per purchase? It probably does. With that said, it should have been addressed without embarrassing you in front of your family. I don't eat there as a rule, I am underwhelmed with both their food and service. Not even with a certificate for $10 for $25.

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

It doesn't say that.
    I got one.

9. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thats what I was going to check, usually those offers are only ONE per table. IMHO the OP should have mentioned up front that he had the WRAL gift certs. so they could have provided info for any restrictions in advance. Also, they usually are only good on the food portion of the bill, not alcohol. Also if mentioned at the get-go, if the waitstaff wasn't already properly trained in how to handle them, there would have been more time to check with a manager on the discount coupon policies.

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Even if it doesn't say it on the certificate when you printed it out... you always have to read the entire offer online before you purchase and then want to rip into a local restaurant.....

quoted from the restictions on that offer:

Restrictions
    Can certificate be used for alcohol? NO
    Cash back for unused portion? NO
    No cash value.
    Not valid with any other promotion
    Tax and gratuity not included
    One per table
    No refunds. All sales are final.
    Offer good during all business hours Sunday through Thursday.
    Offer expires August 31th, 2010.

The restaurant owners/managers would assume you read the restrictions before purchasing, so why would they bend the rules for you?

I purchase discounted gift certificates regularly for places that we frequent, I always am sure to read the restrictions, days/hours of use, etc. to avoid embarrasment. Maybe the OP will pay more attention in the future.

12. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. I only got one, so I guess it's not a big deal to me. :mrgreen:

13. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

After poor service a couple of times I have never gone back there. I see it hasn't changed, I prefer the clubhouse.

14. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

My personal opinion...you know what they say about opinions :lol:... if the customer/OP had already checked out and been rung up, the management should have sucked it up as a mistake on their employees part/bad training and left their customer alone. Now they have lost a customer and had bad stuff posted about their business in a public forum...was it really worth it from a business point of view now?? Not good customer service in my book, irregardless of what the fine print says on the coupon or on the website.

15. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

The draft house is way over rated. I will never ever go there again.

16. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

:iagree:

17. NY9

NY9 Well-Known Member

One of the girls that works there told me that they generally hate the southern clientele that frequents the place, said they were lucky if they paid their full tab much less leave any kind of tip.

18. ZUMBAbyMARIE

:iagree:
    :iagree: If the person paid 10.00 for the 25.00 gift card he would have only been out 15.00. Right? Now he is out whatever the 7 people in the party would have spent every time they returned.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  19. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

That's funny....most that work there are SOUTHERN!

20. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ooops too many I agree things. I tried to take one off but it didn't work.:lol: